Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Pig Candy? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/pig-candy-276581/)

BK001 11-06-2018 05:17 PM

Pig Candy?

Just stumbled on this recipe -- I have never heard of this. The blog says that it's a Southern thing?

Deep South Dish: Pig Candy a/k/a Candied Brown Sugar Bacon

and here is another for this interesting concept:

Pig Candy: Grilled Candied Bacon Recipe :: The Meatwave

Has anyone ever eaten or cooked these?

CFrance 11-06-2018 05:25 PM

Well, I can say they know that recipe in Michigan, although I've never made it.

eweissenbach 11-06-2018 05:31 PM

I had candied fatback at Golden Corral on their breakfast buffet. Delightful!

Henryk 11-08-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1596741)
Just stumbled on this recipe -- I have never heard of this. The blog says that it's a Southern thing?

Deep South Dish: Pig Candy a/k/a Candied Brown Sugar Bacon

and here is another for this interesting concept:

Pig Candy: Grilled Candied Bacon Recipe :: The Meatwave

Has anyone ever eaten or cooked these?

Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe for this. Whilst I have never made it, I have tasted it twice. Have no doubt, it’s outrageously good. You won’t want it as a steady diet.

Abby10 11-08-2018 09:06 PM

I think I know someone who would like it.............:popcorn:

raynan 11-08-2018 09:46 PM

Never tried it but Bob Evans had it, don't know if they still do.

Rapscallion St Croix 11-09-2018 12:50 PM

If you are ever in New Orleans, try Praline Bacon at Elizabeth's

Bjeanj 11-09-2018 02:34 PM

I had this at Bob Evans, and it’s wonderful. Unfortunately, due to the brown sugar, I personally would classify this as more of a dessert. I could probably gorge on this and die happy. Immediately.

simpkinp 11-09-2018 08:25 PM

I had this on the American Queen Steamboat cruise on the Bloody Mary Bar. Absolutely incredible. They also had it for breakfast every day. Dangerously delicious. Needless to say it is not in my house.

bethk 11-12-2018 09:01 AM

I made this earlier this week. It's for when you really want a 'sweet-salty' treat!

I cover a half sheet pan with foil and spray both sides of a rack that fits inside with PAM. Add strips of bacon in a single layer and sprinkle with brown sugar, adding spicy seasoning to the brown sugar if you like a little heat (I like Tony Chaterie's Cajun Seasoning). Place in a 350° oven for 20 - 30 minutes, depending upon the thickness of your bacon. The brown sugar 'melts' on to the bacon.

This is NOT an every day addition to breakfast ~ but it's fun to have once a year! LOL

(I've been served a very similar salty-sweet bacon at our local First Watch Restaurant. They add cayenne to their's.