Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf Cart Accessories (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-cart-accessories-308/)
-   -   Golf cart backup warning (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-cart-accessories-308/golf-cart-backup-warning-276757/)

VILLAGERBB 11-08-2018 02:40 PM

Golf cart backup warning

Does anyone know if noise/flashing backup warning alarms can be installed on a passenger vehicle? Cost? Is it legal?

Thank you.

dewilson58 11-08-2018 02:42 PM

AutoZone.

Amazon.

villagetinker 11-08-2018 04:18 PM

There are several options, on a newer car especially one with LED lights, check that whatever you are planning to use is compatible with your vehicles wiring. The alarm typically connect to the power wire going to WHITE backup lights, so when you put the vehicle in reverse the alarm sounds. My old Dodge Magnum was specifically listed as having a "sensitive" lighting system and had to have isolation relays for anything connecting to the existing lights. I would use a local automotive store and tell them exactly what vehicle to are doing this on to make sure the device is compatible.

tophcfa 11-08-2018 11:06 PM

Easy to install, I just put in a back-up camera in my pick up truck. Just pop off the housing over one of the rear light covers and identify which one of the lights is the back up light (it goes on when you put the vehicle into reverse). Then attach a wiring harness onto both the neutral and hot wires leading to the light and attach to your choice of backup warning device. When you put your vehicle into reverse, the device will let you know it is in reverse. Be sure to weatherproof the seal where you attach the wires so you don't short out in wet weather. I googled how to do the install and found several very helpful you tub videos that helped very much. I am not sure who has the time and incentive to post such videos, but am thankful that such a resource exists. Good luck.

Riverdad 11-09-2018 06:14 AM

Worked for a county in Washington, all Public Works vechicles had them.

Bay Kid 11-09-2018 08:07 AM

Darn, I don't even like them on my cart.

retiredguy123 11-09-2018 08:16 AM

Can you imagine how annoying it would be if all cars in the Publix parking lot had a backup alarm?

Joeg180 11-09-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1597464)
Can you imagine how annoying it would be if all cars in the Publix parking lot had a backup alarm?

Assuming the others can hear or see the carts moving... :icon_wink:

villagetinker 11-09-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1597300)
Does anyone know if noise/flashing backup warning alarms can be installed on a passenger vehicle? Cost? Is it legal?

Thank you.

I can give you a hand with this, go to an autostore, and get a suitable device and we can install. Send me a PM.

If you want a professional install, try BestBuy, as I recall they have an installation department, however you have to buy the back up alarm there.

VILLAGERBB 11-09-2018 02:26 PM

Exactly

My point exactly. Pedestrians in the parking lots seem to be preoccupied with their cell phones or are oblivious to what's happening around them. Too many close calls....and why should the driver be blamed when the responsibility for personal safety should be up to each person whether walking or driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeg180 (Post 1597466)
Assuming the others can hear or see the carts moving... :icon_wink:

VILLAGERBB 11-18-2018 02:53 PM

I have been unable to find an auto parts store that carries a back-up warning signal with flashing lights and beeps. Does anyone think possibly a class in pedestrian safety or personal safety would be something helpful? AARP offers safe driving courses why not a course for pedestrian safety awareness. Appreciate your comments.

Bogie Shooter 11-18-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1600245)
I have been unable to find an auto parts store that carries a back-up warning signal with flashing lights and beeps. Does anyone think possibly a class in pedestrian safety or personal safety would be something helpful? AARP offers safe driving courses why not a course for pedestrian safety awareness. Appreciate your comments.

Here you go. You may want to offer free coffee and doughnuts.:)
AARP States - pedestrian safety Archives
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/local_rural/pedcampaign/
Pedestrian Safety Awareness Campaign | SaveMoLives
Florida Department of Transportation

villagetinker 11-18-2018 08:18 PM

OP, I sent you a PM.