Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Converting electric cart to gas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/converting-electric-cart-gas-276799/)

eweissenbach 11-08-2018 09:12 PM

Converting electric cart to gas

Has anyone converted an electric cart to gas, or know if it can be reasonably done? Any idea what such a conversion would cost or who might do it? I have a great electric cart which is perfectly equipped, but would prefer a gas cart.

villagetinker 11-08-2018 09:39 PM

IMHO, this cannot be done. You will probably find the frame is different, no motor mounts for the gas engine, different differential, etc.

My suggestion, just sell electric cart, and buy a new/used gas cart, and modify as necessary.

tophcfa 11-08-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1597419)
IMHO, this cannot be done. You will probably find the frame is different, no motor mounts for the gas engine, different differential, etc.

My suggestion, just sell electric cart, and buy a new/used gas cart, and modify as necessary.

Agree with Villagetinker, very difficult conversion, if possible at all. Sell/trade in the electric cart and go for the cart you desire.

karostay 11-09-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1597412)
Has anyone converted an electric cart to gas, or know if it can be reasonably done? Any idea what such a conversion would cost or who might do it? I have a great electric cart which is perfectly equipped, but would prefer a gas cart.

Eat a bunch of turnips go for a ride :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

dewilson58 11-09-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1597419)

Agree.

photo1902 11-09-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1597443)
Eat a bunch of turnips go for a ride :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

:a040:

VillageIdiots 11-09-2018 08:45 AM

It would probably be more feasible, financially, to buy a similar model cart in a gas version and just get it as stripped down as you need it to be to move all of your accessories and mods to the gas cart and swap the stripped down stuff (wheels/tires, seats, etc.) to the electric cart and then sell the electric cart. Even if you have a custom painted or colored body, you'll likely find that you can fairly easily swap that out as well as long as the gas one is almost identical. That usually doesn't require them to be exactly the same year but you would need to look into which model years would be compatible to make the swaps.

graciegirl 11-09-2018 08:52 AM

Much easier to sell the electric and find a gas one. I drive a gas cart that is 16 years old that we bought used when we first moved here. Henry bought an electric cart but recently sold it and bought a new gas cart.

eweissenbach 11-09-2018 10:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the case, and buying and selling was always my plan A, but in case the conversion had been successfully and reasonably done, I sought your feedback.

dewilson58 11-09-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1597500)
Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the case, and buying and selling was always my plan A, but in case the conversion had been successfully and reasonably done, I sought your feedback.

It would have been an interesting experiment. Take it over to the VillageTinker for a weekend project.

:a040: