Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   Bohemian Rhapsody (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/bohemian-rhapsody-276877/)

eweissenbach 11-09-2018 07:15 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody

If you are a fan of Queen and Freddie Mercury you will love this show. If you are not, God help you!

ureout 11-10-2018 12:34 PM

liked the movie.. to bad they changed the time of him finding out he had aids... actually was diagnosed in 1987 and the movie said it was just before the live aid concert in 1985

John_W 11-10-2018 05:57 PM

Chi-Town 11-10-2018 06:39 PM

The inconsistent recording timelines including the aids diagnosis were a distraction but enjoyed the movie.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Taltarzac725 11-10-2018 07:12 PM

The poetic license seems to be in over drive with respect to the facts in this movie Bohemian Rhapsody.

May see it this week or the next.

eweissenbach 11-10-2018 09:00 PM

Only a really geeky Queen fan or music engineer would notice most of the inconsistencies. I did not know them at the time I watched the movie and did not, and do not care. It does seem the writers could have at least been more careful of the timelines, knowing that some Queen connoisseurs would be upset.

Schaumburger 11-12-2018 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1597948)
Only a really geeky Queen fan or music engineer would notice most of the inconsistencies. I did not know them at the time I watched the movie and did not, and do not care. It does seem the writers could have at least been more careful of the timelines, knowing that some Queen connoisseurs would be upset.

I have also heard that there were several inconsistencies with timelines and other details in Bohemian Rhapsody. That doesn't take away from Rami Malek's great performance as Freddie Mercury...maybe an Oscar nomination as Best Actor for him? Freddie left this world way before his time. I really enjoyed the movie and the music.

John_W 11-15-2018 07:25 PM

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 11-16-2018 07:39 AM

Other than the fact that the actors looked very much like the members of Queen, I found the film rather boring. I did think that Freddie's teeth were over done as was the acting at the beginning of the film. His teeth seemed to get less prominent as the film went on and his acting got better. His teeth looked like a cheap Halloween costume in the first half of the film.

I had read some comments by people who had gone to see it and they talked abut it like it was the greatest rock and roll film ever made. It's a pretty typical biopic of a band.

The beginning was very slow and it did get a bit better as it went along, but it made it seem as though Queen was the greatest and most popular band in the world at the time.

The truth is that they were just another band that was around. No different than Journey, REO Speedwagon or Styx. They really only had a few big hits and those songs were made more popular by their use in a movie and by sports fans around the world.

I'm sure that they had legions of fans, but they weren't the biggest thing at Live Aid as the movie seems to suggest. They were just another band playing that gig.

I'd give the movie a C-. I did learn a bit about Queen and Freddie Mercury that I hadn't known, but I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing it.

retiredguy123 11-16-2018 07:49 AM

I'm going to skip this movie.

John_W 11-16-2018 09:01 AM

eweissenbach 11-16-2018 11:18 AM

If you look at pictures of a younger Freddie Mercury you may notice that his overbite looks much more pronounced than his later pictures. I believe there are two reasons for this. 1. as he aged his face filled out as most naturally do, and therefore the teeth become less pronounced as they do not grow. 2. He was self conscious of his appearance and therefore he tended to push out his lower jaw more and smile big less.
Queen was not the biggest recording artist(s) at the time, but they were arguably the biggest concert draw in the world and had the most dedicated fans.

Taltarzac725 01-02-2019 07:30 PM

Finally got to see this today with a very small audience. Good story and acting with great music. Really liked some of the details even if there were a lot of mistakes in the film according to posters looking at various fact checking sites.

eweissenbach 01-02-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1612685)
Finally got to see this today with a very small audience. Good story and acting with great music. Really liked some of the details even if there were a lot of mistakes in the film according to posters looking at various fact checking sites.

The "mistakes" were simply an effort to move the story along and condense it into a time frame that the movie would allow. I saw an interview with Brian May and he said he and Roger Taylor consulted on the film and were very pleased with the outcome. He said the film accurately depicted the major events they wanted to describe.

Taltarzac725 01-02-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1612693)
The "mistakes" were simply an effort to move the story along and condense it into a time frame that the movie would allow. I saw an interview with Brian May and he said he and Roger Taylor consulted on the film and were very pleased with the outcome. He said the film accurately depicted the major events they wanted to describe.

It was an enjoyable film to watch on a big screen. And you could feel the music, so to speak, at times.