Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   YouTube TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/youtube-tv-277165/)

Jnjguy 11-12-2018 09:16 PM

YouTube TV

Has anyone in The Villages had experience with YouTube TV? The YouTube TV website states that it is available in Orlando. I would really like to cut the cable cord and I like what I see on the website, but would like to hear from anyone who has actually subscribed to it. Thanks.

Dan9871 11-12-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnjguy (Post 1598606)
Has anyone in The Villages had experience with YouTube TV? .

I tried Youtube TV for a while and it worked fine. but ended using Directv Now instead because of better coverage of the things we watch.

BTW both Youtube TV and DirectTV now are streaming services so you can get them most anywhere. The both give coverage of most of the Orlando area stations.

eweissenbach 11-12-2018 09:34 PM

We got rid of Spectrum cable and have had YouTubeTV for about 8 months. It has been excellent for us as we have a home in Missouri as well as The Villages, and as it is a streaming service we can get it anywhere. One reason I chose YouTube is that we get the local stations where we signed up which is in Missouri. So we get the Kansas City network stations and the Fox Sports Kansas City which carries the Royals games in TV as well as Kansas City. We can get a power antenna if we want to get the Orlando affiliates when in Fl. but haven't yet felt the need. Check out the channels available on the various services as they all differ. For example YouTube has all the local affiliates while Sling does not. Sling has HGTV and Hallmark channels, while YouTube does not. Hulu and the DirecTV streaming service may have different offerings. I have not missed Spectrum or DirecTV,which we had for 15 years.

GJohn 11-13-2018 06:19 AM

I used Youtube TV for my month of October visit and will resubscribe when I return. Very easy on and off and includes a "DVR" recording mode. It gets all the local channels and is what I really care about. I had about 67 channels with others available for a small charge.
They offer a week free subscription to give it a test run....

seoulbrooks 11-13-2018 08:45 AM

Moved from Directv to YouTube. Best move ever made.... Now I can watch tv even when it is storming outside. With Directv it was blacking out every time we had a thunderstorm.....

Nucky 11-13-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seoulbrooks (Post 1598697)
Moved from Directv to YouTube. Best move ever made.... Now I can watch tv even when it is storming outside. With Directv it was blacking out every time we had a thunderstorm.....

Been streaming for about two months and prefer YouYube TV. Ease of use, the recording is beautiful and it is $43.00 all in, I had to add Showtime for $11.00 to get Ray Donovan. The only shows I'm missing and refuse to pay for is Gold Rush and Counting Cars and Chasing Classic Cars. I have faith they will be there soon, for free.

I didn't like HULU at all. We are going to try Sling for seven days.

YouTube will be a good thing for you I believe.

BK001 11-13-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1598623)
... we have a home in Missouri as well as The Villages.

Off topic but wanted to tell you how much DH and I loved Kansas City, Mo. Coming from NYC, we were struck by how clean and beautiful it was. I think I read that only Rome has more outdoor fountains?

And what about Jack Stack's? My husband insisted on eating there several times during our visit.

Bob45 11-13-2018 01:43 PM

You Tube

I am happy with Youtube TV. I watch with a ROKU box so I have a lot of free movie and other channels. My only complaint is it doesn't mark the recorded DVR shows I have watched.
Bob

retiredguy123 11-13-2018 01:50 PM

Youtube TV doesn't have the Hallmark channels. I really like the chick flicks.

eweissenbach 11-13-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1598784)
Youtube TV doesn't have the Hallmark channels. I really like the chick flicks.

You can get Sling with the lifetime option for an extra $5 a month for Hallmark channels. Our daughter shares our Villages Villa and we use her subscription to Sling.

fndrbndr 11-13-2018 03:01 PM

Here is a site where you can compare the different streaming services side-by-side.

Suppose | Compare Cable, Satellite & Streaming TV Services

retiredguy123 11-13-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1598789)
You can get Sling with the lifetime option for an extra $5 a month for Hallmark channels. Our daughter shares our Villages Villa and we use her subscription to Sling.

Thanks, but I am still using Comcast for now. FYI, the two Hallmark channels will be showing 37 new Christmas chick flick movies this holiday season.

Nucky 11-13-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1598824)
Thanks, but I am still using Comcast for now. FYI, the two Hallmark channels will be showing 37 new Christmas chick flick movies this holiday season.

LOL Note to self. Disable this post so my wifey doesn't see about the Chicky Flickies. :1rotfl:

CWGUY 11-13-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1598827)
LOL Note to self. Disable this post so my wifey doesn't see about the Chicky Flickies. :1rotfl:

:coolsmiley: Directvnow has The Hallmark channels, Discovery, and History Channels too. All on the $40.00 a mo. package. Isn't Gold Rush on Discovery?

:ho: DIRECTV NOW | Stream up to 125+ Live TV Channels

Jnjguy 11-15-2018 08:27 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. Very helpful.