Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Stuffing or Dressing? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/stuffing-dressing-277496/)

graciegirl 11-17-2018 09:02 AM

Stuffing or Dressing?

On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

What is your choice and what do you call it?

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.

Rapscallion St Croix 11-17-2018 09:26 AM

This year, it will be up to the restaurant. I will miss the roasted parsnips we usually enjoy.

skip0358 11-17-2018 09:45 AM

This year is dressing as we're having Turkey Breast and can't stuff it !

BK001 11-17-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1599931)
On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

What is your choice and what do you call it?

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.

We always had Stuffing in the Bird. Same ingredients except one - we used Sausage meat instead of cooked chicken.

And, like you, I was the Thanksgiving Queen* in our house. Only missed cooking once when I had an emergency appendectomy and last year we ordered the Thanksgiving dinner from Publix -- something I will never do again.

dewilson58 11-17-2018 10:07 AM

We transitioned from Stuffing to Dressing. My mom was always Stuffing, but somehow we lost that in the translation and we are calling it Dressing.

All turkey organs and turkey meat in our Sage Dressing. Family tradition to lay out three loafs of bread for two days to dry out. I like sausage in my Dressing........so I make two batches.......one with, one without. (Almost put my mother in her grave when I put sausage in HER Dressing.):faint:

rivaridger1 11-17-2018 10:46 AM

Stuffing with chestnuts, oysters and sausage well seasoned. Top it on the plate with great turkey gravy and it is half the Thanksgiving dinner. Refrigerate the leftovers and have them three days later with the stuffing fried and topped with left over gravy. In between turkey sandwiches with some sliced left over stuffing included along with cranberry sauce. Wait six months and do it all over again.

BK001 11-17-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1599947)
We transitioned from Stuffing to Dressing. My mom was always Stuffing, but somehow we lost that in the translation and we are calling it Dressing.

All turkey organs and turkey meat in our Sage Dressing. Family tradition to lay out three loafs of bread for two days to dry out. I like sausage in my Dressing........so I make two batches.......one with, one without. (Almost put my mother in her grave when I put sausage in HER Dressing.):faint:

Many, many years ago I too would add the chopped up turkey organs. I stopped it the year one of my little cousins, with a scrunched up nose asked, "is there liver in this?"

LOL - I'm not proud that I said emphatically "Of course not!"

Rapscallion St Croix 11-17-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1599992)
Many, many years ago I too would add the chopped up turkey organs. I stopped it the year one of my little cousins, with a scrunched up nose asked, "is there liver in this?"

I pulled a similar number on a grandchild who would not eat the heel of a loaf of bread. Put the crusty side facing inward on his sandwich.

graciegirl 11-17-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1599992)

Good girl!

CFrance 11-17-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1599947)

Same, remember laying out the bread. I still do it, but only half bread, half Pepperidge Farm cubed stuffing mix. Stuffing always inside the bird, as per both mother and MIL did. My MIL added sautéed cooked & shredded potatoes. I used to but got lazy. That's like a three-day process using a cast-iron skillet.

No meat in our stuffing. I made sausage & cornbread stuffing decades ago, but I was the only one who liked it.

Nucky 11-17-2018 09:24 PM

We called it Stuffing and it was always from inside the bird. There are very few who know I know NOTHING about cooking and throughout my life have learned to be grateful for the meal put in front of me. I keep quiet about whatever it is and compliment the cook and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

This is a secret so Shhhhh! The only part of the meal I care about is the Stuffing and The Desert! And of course the Cook.

Happy Thanksgiving to All of My TOTV'S friends. You people are the Best. Even the ones who raise the Blood Pressure a Little. :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Kahuna32162 11-18-2018 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Because everybody needs a laugh. We're having 20 out of town guests for Thanksgiving this year, made and froze 3 pans of dressing last week.

BK001 11-18-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1600108)
The only part of the meal I care about is the Stuffing and The Desert! And of course the Cook.

Happy Thanksgiving to All of My TOTV'S friends. You people are the Best. Even the ones who raise the Blood Pressure a Little. :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Of course I agree about the cook.

I would rank my Thanksgiving dinner favorites as follows:

1. Stuffing/Dressing - both qualify
2. Gravy
3. Mashed Potatoes
4. Turkey Wing or Drumstick
5. Jellied Cranberry Sauce (yes, from a can - none of that
homemade stuff LOL - I guess it's what you grew up on)
6. Stuffing/Dressing -- so good it gets another ranking

CFrance 11-18-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1600136)
Of course I agree about the cook.

I would rank my Thanksgiving dinner favorites as follows:

1. Stuffing/Dressing - both qualify
2. Gravy
3. Mashed Potatoes
4. Turkey Wing or Drumstick
5. Jellied Cranberry Sauce (yes, from a can - none of that
homemade stuff LOL - I guess it's what you grew up on)
6. Stuffing/Dressing -- so good it gets another ranking

I agree with you somewhat, except I would make #6 be #2 and #5 be #3.

Must have stuffing, gravy, and a chunk of jellied cranberry sauce in each bite.

BK001 11-18-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1600144)
I agree with you somewhat, except I would make #6 be #2 and #5 be #3.

Must have stuffing, gravy, and a chunk of jellied cranberry sauce in each bite.

Your reordering of the list works just as well for me! -- On second thought, your list is better - cranberry before mashed potatoes. Yes!