Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Very Good Thanksgiving at Golden Corral (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/very-good-thanksgiving-golden-corral-277992/)

Boudicca 11-23-2018 02:57 PM

Very Good Thanksgiving at Golden Corral

Hubby and I have sampled Thanksgiving meals at various country club restaurants in TV. One at Lopez was excellent, but the smoked turkey TG dinner at Palmer a few years back was not..I’ve been clumping around in a medical boot for 5 months, and cooking a meal at home was not an option this year. Being just we two, we decided to try Golden Corral. Despite a lengthy wait, we had a very enjoyable experience. All the patrons waiting in line were in good spirits, and we swapped stories and experiences as we moved closer to the restaurant door. Once inside, the manager had prepared well for the many hundreds of diners. Every food station was attractively arranged, with no messy empty containers to cause frustration . The servers were cheerful and efficient, quick to keep beverages coming and dirty plates removed. It was a good experience for us, and we left a generous tip. The restaurant closed at 3 which gave the employees time to enjoy their own thanksgiving. Well done Golden Corral

Polar Bear 11-23-2018 04:10 PM

Great to hear. Glad you had a good time and a good meal.

Now...you may want to consider bracing yourself for those few who may not see GC as acceptable dining. :) ;)

Boudicca 11-23-2018 04:31 PM

Yes, I fully expect to receive sarcastic responses, but I wanted to give the manager and all the hard working employees of GC a shout out for job well done.
I don’t have to read the anticipated unpleasant responses.

simpkinp 11-23-2018 05:01 PM

I have a very picky family, a couple of vegetarians and ones who don’t like the "textur… of this or that, don’t like turkey but eat chicken tenders, and on and on. I no longer bother to cook a meal but search out restaurants to accommodate everyone. I mentioned this to them for future family meals. We'll see. I find the wonderful salad bar as a plus. Don’t let the snobbery sarcasm get you down. You had a good meal and enjoyed the holiday

Boudicca 11-23-2018 05:33 PM

Thanks for your kind words. While we can afford to spend our $ wherever we want, GC provided MANY options. From fresh salad, soups, meats and turkey n dressing, our experience was actually more enjoyable than the not so tasty smoked turkey TG meal we sampled at Arnold Palmer restaurant a few years ago.

Bryant 11-23-2018 06:27 PM

My neighbor said it was "free" on Thanksgiving. Is that true?

Abby10 11-23-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boudicca (Post 1601398)
Hubby and I have sampled Thanksgiving meals at various country club restaurants in TV. One at Lopez was excellent, but the smoked turkey TG dinner at Palmer a few years back was not..I’ve been clumping around in a medical boot for 5 months, and cooking a meal at home was not an option this year. Being just we two, we decided to try Golden Corral. Despite a lengthy wait, we had a very enjoyable experience. All the patrons waiting in line were in good spirits, and we swapped stories and experiences as we moved closer to the restaurant door. Once inside, the manager had prepared well for the many hundreds of diners. Every food station was attractively arranged, with no messy empty containers to cause frustration . The servers were cheerful and efficient, quick to keep beverages coming and dirty plates removed. It was a good experience for us, and we left a generous tip. The restaurant closed at 3 which gave the employees time to enjoy their own thanksgiving. Well done Golden Corral

Sounds all good to me. The part I highlighted is what really stood out to me though......the icing on the cake so to speak. Glad you had such an enjoyable experience.

HoosierPa 11-23-2018 07:51 PM

Nice to hear. We frequent GC and really could care what others think !

2catsmeow 11-23-2018 08:15 PM

No it is not free - price was $14.99 +tax/tip and included a beverage - have gone for the last 4 years and has always been good - not for everyone I am sure - but we like it.

graciegirl 11-23-2018 08:23 PM

Loved to read this thread. Glad you had a good time.

Taltarzac725 11-23-2018 08:32 PM

I saw quite a line for Golden Corral when I went by while going to and from Walmart yesterday. This was between 1:30 and 2:30 PM. And it was raining slightly as I saw people with umbrellas waiting.

Loved going to Golden Corral with the nieces and nephew a long time ago but we have not been back since.

Villagevip 11-23-2018 08:44 PM

Was thinking about going to G.C. for T.G.D..Prolly go to G.C, next year, thanks for the heads up...

Jima64 11-23-2018 09:15 PM

As long as you enjoyed the meal counts most. Thanks for the opinion of GC.

Bill32 11-24-2018 09:18 AM

Been there...like it....

justjim 11-24-2018 11:00 AM

OP, thanks for your post. GC sounds like a viable alternative for those that don’t cook at home on Thanksgiving.