Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Golf Cart Insurance (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/golf-cart-insurance-278052/)

sunburn 11-24-2018 01:33 PM

Golf Cart Insurance

Like I said in the other thread, we are newbies.

Do you guys get insurance for your golf carts? Liability is pretty inexpensive and comp/collision is more than twice as much. What do you opt for? Any suggestions for companies?

RErmer 11-24-2018 03:25 PM

Yes to insurance. Less than $100/yr. I had a run in with a post a few weeks ago (dumb!), and the $3,600 (not a typo) repair bill was paid in a week. Foremost Insurance, through The Villages Insurance agency. Highly recommend!

JoMar 11-24-2018 04:55 PM

Had a similar incident two years ago, cart body is fiberglass which meant replace the body.....4K ish. I have the same coverage as my car and is under the umbrella so the deductible was 500. My annual cost for 2 carts is 120.00 through The Villages Insurance

784caroline 11-24-2018 08:10 PM

Considerating most drivers do not have proper (or any golf cart ) insurance, highly suggest uninsured/ underinsurance coverage.

tophcfa 11-24-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1601683)
Had a similar incident two years ago, cart body is fiberglass which meant replace the body.....4K ish. I have the same coverage as my car and is under the umbrella so the deductible was 500. My annual cost for 2 carts is 120.00 through The Villages Insurance

Our annual for two carts was also relatively low, at $135. However, we just got the renewal bill and it skyrocketed to $200. And we never had any reason to file a claim, so that can't be the reason for the increase. Not happy with the bait and switch game the insurance provider plays.

villagetinker 11-24-2018 09:08 PM

Also, consider if your cart can go over 20 MPH, it is considered a LSV (Low speed Vehicle) and actually requires a license and essentially CAR insurance. If you have an accident and the police check your golf cart speed, you can expect several hundred dollars in fines, etc.
While I do not know what your insurance company would do, I can guess they would deny coverage if it can go over 20 MPH.
As for the costs, I agree with the info above.

EdFNJ 11-25-2018 12:00 PM

Golf Cart Insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1601745)
Also, consider if your cart can go over 20 MPH, it is considered a LSV (Low speed Vehicle) and actually requires a license and essentially CAR insurance. If you have an accident and the police check your golf cart speed, you can expect several hundred dollars in fines, etc.
While I do not know what your insurance company would do, I can guess they would deny coverage if it can go over 20 MPH.

That (over 20mph even 21 or 22 which is no different WRT legality) would include probably 90% of the golf carts here. :)

That being said, mine is registered & plated as a lsv/street legal and insurance is around $450 with no collision but max liability. Before it was s/l it was $65 (no collision) from Foremost. Expensive but a still cheaper than a 2nd car at $1000+. We put over 5000 miles a year on it. When we need to leave the bubble we take our car.

ureout 11-25-2018 12:08 PM

it's also best to get a separate policy for your golf cart only-- I would advise to never get a rider added on to your home-owners policy

EdFNJ 11-25-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry C (Post 1601629)
Like I said in the other thread, we are newbies.

Do you guys get insurance for your golf carts? Liability is pretty inexpensive and comp/collision is more than twice as much. What do you opt for? Any suggestions for companies?

While it is not required by law you should have AT LEAST liability to cover injury or property damage to others. A golf cart can still kill someone. Any other coverage is up to you. Cost depends on value of cart and coverage you get. Liability/PD is CHEAP. Don't be a fool and regret it when you hear from this guy: Our Office Locations - Dan Newlin Injury Attorneys

jimmer 01-15-2019 01:08 PM

Can anybody help with a recommendation for an insurance company for a LSV (low speed vehicle).

spring_chicken 01-15-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1601745)

The police have no right to test drive your golf cart after you've been in an accident. Unless they had you on radar going over 20 prior to the accident, this is a non-factor.

JoMar 01-15-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1616352)
The police have no right to test drive your golf cart after you've been in an accident. Unless they had you on radar going over 20 prior to the accident, this is a non-factor.

And make sure your lawyer knows that while he is defending you....the police have wide powers when they believe your actions have resulted in property damage or personal injury. In addition, the lawyer for the other guy won't care what your position is.

spring_chicken 01-15-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1616374)
And make sure your lawyer knows that while he is defending you....the police have wide powers when they believe your actions have resulted in property damage or personal injury. In addition, the lawyer for the other guy won't care what your position is.

You may want to read up on laws.

Mosells 01-15-2019 05:09 PM

Kate at Thomas Ins, my golf cart insurance was renewed for my second year at $77, no increase.

thetruth 01-15-2019 07:06 PM

Re: Bait and switch

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1601736)
Our annual for two carts was also relatively low, at $135. However, we just got the renewal bill and it skyrocketed to $200. And we never had any reason to file a claim, so that can't be the reason for the increase. Not happy with the bait and switch game the insurance provider plays.

I am not selling insurance. BUT, if you feel the rate you are being charged rather than complain you should do comparison shopping.