Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   It's too late... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/its-too-late-278288/)

sunburn 11-26-2018 09:24 PM

It's too late...

We done done it:clap2:. We bought a house in The Villages. Of course we went through lots of houses, and cruised through lots of neighborhoods. I guess it takes years to get to know the Villages, and even then it looks like it changes fast. We don't know much about our new neighborhood. We bought in Dunedin. We liked the location and the proximity to some great friends nearby. We rode around a lot, but wondered what you guys thought of Dunedin and the Brownwood area.

How about shopping? Are there stores within cart range?
MY wife wants to know about Christian churches, Kohls, and decent shopping.

There don't seem to be many golf courses close... BellGlade and Bonifay? What executive courses are within range?

Anything else you can share with us?

tophcfa 11-26-2018 10:03 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the Villages. My wife and I took the plunge three years age and have no regrets. We live north of 466, so I can't give you good advise on shopping and churches in your area, but you are in a good golf area. Don't forget Even's Prairy or Havana as good options, and the other 8 Championship courses aren't that far away, especially Cane Garden, Palmer and Mallory Hills. As far as executives go, the southern courses are, in my opinion, way nicer than the northern courses. Very many options, all within less than about a 20 minute golf cart ride. Once you get to the know the area you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!

Fredman 11-26-2018 10:11 PM

Seems to me that those are questions u should have asked before u bought

mic4me 11-26-2018 10:12 PM

Welcome neighbor. I also live in Dunedin. My wife and I have owned for 3 years here. You are in a very active neighborhood. Dunedin has it's own social club and depending on where in the village you live, there are also Flamingo Mingles on the 3rd Thursday of each month, a great way to get to know your neighborhood. As for shopping, things are getting better down here in the south. Lowes has opened within the last year and new stores are continuing to commit to the area. The box stores are still about a 15-20 minute drive north for Kohls, Best Buy, Target, etc, but if you don't go when school is stating or letting out, it is an easy drive. We have 4 championship courses within a 10 minute golf cart ride (Belle Glade, Bonifay, Evans Prairie and Havana. There are more within another 10-15 after that. As for executive, each Championship course manages 4-6 executive courses, so there are somewhere between 15-20 within a 15 minute golf cart ride. Tough to get on now (snowbirds) but great for fulltimers. That is enough for now, I'll let others chime in.

sunburn 11-26-2018 10:40 PM

Thanks Mic4me... great info! Were on Anvil Ave. Can't wait to start exploring.

sunburn 11-26-2018 10:43 PM

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1602338)
Seems to me that those are questions u should have asked before u bought

True, but too late now! I asked lots of questions, but realtors think all neighborhoods are good. We liked the house a lot, and the landscaping, view etc.

sunburn 11-26-2018 10:43 PM

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1602335)
Congratulations and welcome to the Villages. My wife and I took the plunge three years age and have no regrets. We live north of 466, so I can't give you good advise on shopping and churches in your area, but you are in a good golf area. Don't forget Even's Prairy or Havana as good options, and the other 8 Championship courses aren't that far away, especially Cane Garden, Palmer and Mallory Hills. As far as executives go, the southern courses are, in my opinion, way nicer than the northern courses. Very many options, all within less than about a 20 minute golf cart ride. Once you get to the know the area you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!

I really appreciate your kind reply.

Ecuadog 11-26-2018 11:38 PM

Welcome.

queasy27 11-26-2018 11:39 PM

Welcome to The Villages! Adventures await.

Not sure if this link will work but if not, search on Google maps for your address and filter for grocery stores nearby.

Google Maps

You might start a different topic here for churches and give an idea of the type of community and sect you're looking for. That's much more individual than groceries! There are a lot to choose from.

birdiebill 11-27-2018 06:45 AM

As for a Christian church, New Covenant United Methodist church has a new congregation in your area. They currently meet in the Eisenhower Rec Center , but have a brand new building that will open within the next two or three weeks close to where you will live. Golf cart close.

Lovey2 11-27-2018 06:55 AM

Bay Kid 11-27-2018 09:17 AM

Not to worry. Most villagers move 2-3 times until they find what they are looking for. All is great!

CFrance 11-27-2018 11:52 AM

Lots of shopping within golf cart range. And you will find lots of shopping, if you are not limited to using a golf cart. Trailwinds on 466A across from Pinellas Plaza has Lowes, a gas station, Aldi's, ABC Liquor, another unnamed grocery store coming, and at least one fast-food place and a sub shop. I am really happy we stayed in this area, because the shopping has grown several fold since we came here in 2011.

Welcome!

John_W 11-27-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry C (Post 1602332)
...There don't seem to be many golf courses close... BellGlade and Bonifay? What executive courses are within range?

Anything else you can share with us?

From your address via golf cart you could be at any of these championship courses within 30 minutes. Belle Glade, Bonifay, Evans Prairie, Havana, Mallory, Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer. That's 7 out of the 12, if you cross 466 and drive 10 more minutes, then add Glenview and Tierra Del Sol.

Using those locations as a boundary, look at this link and you'll see how many executives are within 30 minutes, I count 20. Now you may wish to drive further, but for a 90 minute Executive round that's about it for me. Championship courses I'll go up to 45 minutes, last week I played Glenview which is about 45 minute drive for me from the Seabreeze area, but a round like that takes 4+ hours. Lopez for me is almost an hour, I've made that trip 3 times, for you add 15 minutes.

https://golfthevillages.com/images/T...gesGolfMap.pdf

sunburn 11-27-2018 03:52 PM

That's a helpful post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1602528)
From your address via golf cart you could be at any of these championship courses within 30 minutes. Belle Glade, Bonifay, Evans Prairie, Havana, Mallory, Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer. That's 7 out of the 12, if you cross 466 and drive 10 more minutes, then add Glenview and Tierra Del Sol.

Using those locations as a boundary, look at this link and you'll see how many executives are within 30 minutes, I count 20. Now you may wish to drive further, but for a 90 minute Executive round that's about it for me. Championship courses I'll go up to 45 minutes, last week I played Glenview which is about 45 minute drive for me from the Seabreeze area, but a round like that takes 4+ hours. Lopez for me is almost an hour, I've made that trip 3 times, for you add 15 minutes.

https://golfthevillages.com/images/T...gesGolfMap.pdf

Thank you John!!!