Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf cart advice (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-cart-advice-278536/)

claricecolin 11-29-2018 09:57 AM

Golf cart advice

My Dad has purchased a gas club car golf cart in Dec 2015 and it has needed constant work since. It was brand new but belts break every few months 2 sets of tires needed to be replaced and it back fires and is noisy. I have gone back to NJ and had it picked up for yearly maintenance while Dad spent Thanksgiving with us.
Now they say it will need $1500 in repairs replacing 2 clutches more belts and something else. So I am coming back down before the holidays so he can get a new one. I am looking for suggestions it has to be gas. It will have to be purchased from Villages Golf Cars.
Is it normal for so many issues with a golf cart? Their previous one was 12 years old and only last 2 years had issues. Thank you.

VillageIdiots 11-29-2018 10:06 AM

No cart should have that many issues that often. Most will run fine for years with only routine maintenance. Yamaha is going to be the cart of choice for most around here, especially if purchased from TV golf carts.

spring_chicken 11-29-2018 10:07 AM

Why does it have to be purchased from Villages Golf Cars? Are they the ones who sold you a lemon in the first place?

claricecolin 11-29-2018 10:14 AM

So is there a difference between a Yamaha and club car? I thought they were the same and it was purchased from Villages Golf Cars.

claricecolin 11-29-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1603098)
Why does it have to be purchased from Villages Golf Cars? Are they the ones who sold you a lemon in the first place?

Because Dad wants what he wants and I have to manage it. So you are saying that is too many issues for a new cart to have?

thetruth 11-29-2018 10:34 AM

Re: Villages golf carts

Quote:

Originally Posted by spring_chicken (Post 1603098)

We did not purchase our golf cart from Villages golf carts.
In the recent past we were using them for service.

I believe it has been sold or is under new management AND THEY NO LONGER WILL GIVE APPOINTMENTS TO PEOPLE WHO DID NOT BUY FROM THEM.

As to clutches and belts. We also have a 2015 fuel injected Yamaha. NOT AN EXPERT-we were impressed with Villages Golf Cart that a year after we bought the cart-from another dealer, they replaced the drive belt at n/c under warranty. Seems Yamaha used some incorrect belts.
The replacement is wider.

Unfortunately, I am being forced to find another place to get my cart serviced and would appreciate suggestions.

John_W 11-29-2018 10:44 AM

VillageIdiots 11-29-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claricecolin (Post 1603104)
So is there a difference between a Yamaha and club car? I thought they were the same and it was purchased from Villages Golf Cars.

The differences and similarities would be comparable to that of Chevrolet and Ford. Nothing wrong with Club Car, I've owned 3 of them, 1 gas and 2 electric. I believe Club Car uses Kawasaki engines in their gas carts. But Yamaha is far more prevalent here in TV and is also an excellent quality cart for what they are used for here.

bob47 11-29-2018 01:04 PM

Our first cart was a gas Club Car. Had it for 10 years and aside from normal maintenance, I had to put in a voltage regulator and the primary drive clutch had to be replaced 3 times. That's not good. The primary clutch was a different design, maybe unique to Club Car, and didn't hold up.

We liked everything else about the cart, but replaced it with a Yamaha gas because of the clutch issues.

tophcfa 11-29-2018 04:48 PM

We own a 2014 gas Yamaha and a 2015 gas Club Car. We have never had a single problem with the Yamaha, but have had several issues with the Club Car. They are both very nice carts to drive, but for reliability I would definitely go with the Yamaha. Other difference I have noticed is the Yamaha has more room, which only matters if you are taller like I am. My wife is short and can reach the pedals easier in the Club Car. The Yamaha also runs quiter. The steering is much tighter on the Club Car and doesen't float a little like the Yamaha. If we could only have one cart I would definitely go with the Yamaha. I can't justify getting a new cart since we have two relatively new carts already, but someday I want one of the newer Yamaha quiet- tech gas carts. A friend has one and it is a pleasure to ride in. The quiet-tech eliminates the main advantage of owning an electric cart, the noise difference between gas and electric.

claricecolin 11-29-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1603193)
We own a 2014 gas Yamaha and a 2015 gas Club Car. We have never had a single problem with the Yamaha, but have had several issues with the Club Car. They are both very nice carts to drive, but for reliability I would definitely go with the Yamaha. Other difference I have noticed is the Yamaha has more room, which only matters if you are taller like I am. My wife is short and can reach the pedals easier in the Club Car. The Yamaha also runs quiter. The steering is much tighter on the Club Car and doesen't float a little like the Yamaha. If we could only have one cart I would definitely go with the Yamaha. I can't justify getting a new cart since we have two relatively new carts already, but someday I want one of the newer Yamaha quiet- tech gas carts. A friend has one and it is a pleasure to ride in. The quiet-tech eliminates the main advantage of owning an electric cart, the noise difference between gas and electric.

Thank you

B-flat 01-08-2019 01:30 PM

See Scott Prince at Grandma and Grandpa’s Buggies, this guy is a super dealer and down to earth.

Grandpa & Grandma's Village Buggies LLC - Home

TechGC 01-19-2019 06:32 PM

Any time I hear a golf car has that many issues, Its mechanic related. You find the right shop and you don't have the issues. No way a new cart like that needed 1500 bucks worth of work.

npwalters 01-19-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1603114)
We did not purchase our golf cart from Villages golf carts.
In the recent past we were using them for service.

I believe it has been sold or is under new management AND THEY NO LONGER WILL GIVE APPOINTMENTS TO PEOPLE WHO DID NOT BUY FROM THEM.

As to clutches and belts. We also have a 2015 fuel injected Yamaha. NOT AN EXPERT-we were impressed with Villages Golf Cart that a year after we bought the cart-from another dealer, they replaced the drive belt at n/c under warranty. Seems Yamaha used some incorrect belts.
The replacement is wider.

Unfortunately, I am being forced to find another place to get my cart serviced and would appreciate suggestions.

actually, they are required (as are all dealers of new equipment) to service any cart under warranty regardless of where it was bought.

Brawnwy123 01-19-2019 07:53 PM

Carts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechGC (Post 1617472)
Any time I hear a golf car has that many issues, Its mechanic related. You find the right shop and you don't have the issues. No way a new cart like that needed 1500 bucks worth of work.

Agreed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well to be honest, let me see, it is a Yamaha, Right?

:pray: