Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   ABCDE - What's in a Name? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/abcde-whats-name-278610/)

BK001 11-30-2018 02:25 AM

ABCDE - What's in a Name?

I just heard a news story about a woman, Traci Redford, whose daughter's name, Abcde (pronounced as 'ab-city') was ridiculed by a Southwest Airlines agent.

I remember a story years ago about a woman who had named her little girl Chlamydia. That too, caused a stir.

I want to be understanding by weighing the mothers' desire to have different and creative names for their daughters but I can not help wondering about the lifetime of potential ridicule that these children may bear.

drpepper 11-30-2018 05:31 AM

What's in a name

I had a young man apply for a job several years ago whose name was Delmonte Zucchini Jones. His friends called him Zuki.

graciegirl 11-30-2018 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1603253)
I just heard a news story about a woman, Traci Redford, whose daughter's name, Abcde (pronounced as 'ab-city') was ridiculed by a Southwest Airlines agent.

I remember a story years ago about a woman who had named her little girl Chlamydia. That too, caused a stir.

I want to be understanding by weighing the mothers' desire to have different and creative names for their daughters but I can not help wondering about the lifetime of potential ridicule that these children may bear.

What were they thinkin'? I wonder if the Southwest Airlines agent ridiculed or just noted or commented? There are so many clickbait titles anymore, even on what were always trusted news sources.

Arctic Fox 11-30-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpepper (Post 1603255)
I had a young man apply for a job several years ago whose name was Delmonte Zucchini Jones. His friends called him Zuki.

With all that fruit and veg, I would have called him Deli

BK001 11-30-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1603257)
What were they thinkin'? I wonder if the Southwest Airlines agent ridiculed or just noted or commented? There are so many clickbait titles anymore, even on what were always trusted news sources.

You may be right but it was reported by Huffington Post and a few others.

Southwest Apologizes To Girl Named Abcde After Gate Agent Made Fun Of Her

CFrance 11-30-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1603260)

They better not say anything to you about your name, BK001! I'll come after them.:boxing2:

BK001 11-30-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1603265)
They better not say anything to you about your name, BK001! I'll come after them.:boxing2:

Thanks for having my back -- because of that I will refrain from singing that infamous childhood ditty:

"I see London, I CFrance,
I see [name] underpants
Not too big and not too small
Just right for a cannonball

I see [name] underpants
They're not blue and they're not pink
All I know is that they stink!"

fw102807 11-30-2018 07:09 AM

In the words of a great man "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy"…

CFrance 11-30-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1603267)
Thanks for having my back -- because of that I will refrain from singing that infamous childhood ditty:

I see [name] underpants
Not too big and not too small
Just right for a cannonball

I see [name] underpants
They're not blue and they're not pink
All I know is that they stink!"

I always wondered what the second verse was...

aninjamom 11-30-2018 07:18 AM

I once worked for a man who had a client, whose name was Harold Finger. He actually went by - this is the truth; Harry Finger. Why he would do that to himself I have no idea. :shocked:
That mother is subjecting her daughter to a lifetime of harassment. Maybe she just can't spell?

Madelaine Amee 11-30-2018 08:21 AM

I think, at some point in the future, an HR person is going to see the Abcde name on a resume and would have to interview her just for the heck of it.

alwann 11-30-2018 08:51 AM

What's in a name

I recall a sports columnist for the Baltimore Sun named Peter Schmuck. In Yiddish, his first name is the same as his last name. And then there is the story of a Morris Lipschitz. People told him he should change his name. He did. To Michael.

manaboutown 11-30-2018 09:23 AM

When I was house shopping many years ago I looked at a home owned by a Donald Duckles...and he may have been an MD.

I know a fellow named Richard Less. He insists people address him as Richard, not Dick.

graciegirl 11-30-2018 09:26 AM

I think it was a dumb choice for a name, Abcde. I think the Hollywood celebrities are short sighted too giving their children extremely unusual names. Their celebrity may not last the child's life and he or she will naturally garner negative attention.

It was wrong to share this on social media, but who would know the child has a medical condition? There is always DRAMA anymore and someone wants to argue about just about everything. And others want people to feel sorry for them after using poor judgment.

Love,
Pickles Gantner

P.S. I heard that Kanye West an 'em are going to name their next one, Key.

Bucco 11-30-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1603260)

Airline agent mocked 5-year-old epileptic girl’s name, mother claims | Fox News