Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Food likes, dislikes, and anomalies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/food-likes-dislikes-anomalies-278680/)

queasy27 12-01-2018 04:40 AM

Food likes, dislikes, and anomalies

The cilantro thread made me think about some of my own odd food preferences. I think a lot of them are related to texture.

Carrots -- like them raw, won't eat them cooked

Tomatoes -- love the soup, gag on the juice

Coffee -- don't drink the liquid but my favorite ice cream flavor

Avocados -- can't stand them except in guacamole

Apricots -- dried only, please

General nuh uh -- lobster, apple pie, game meat, orange squashes/yams, and worst of all, bell peppers

New one to the yuck list -- Skyline chili!

graciegirl 12-01-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1603559)
The cilantro thread made me think about some of my own odd food preferences. I think a lot of them are related to texture.

Carrots -- like them raw, won't eat them cooked

Tomatoes -- love the soup, gag on the juice

Coffee -- don't drink the liquid but my favorite ice cream flavor

Avocados -- can't stand them except in guacamole

Apricots -- dried only, please

General nuh uh -- lobster, apple pie, game meat, orange squashes/yams, and worst of all, bell peppers

New one to the yuck list -- Skyline chili!

And your delicate palate is why you call yourself

Queasy?

graciegirl 12-01-2018 07:07 AM

I am particular about stuff too. Don't like Sushi, Gamemeat and other people's potato salad. And things excessively HOT. Both in temperature and in spice.

fw102807 12-01-2018 07:27 AM

I like most foods and all vegetables but I don't like them greasy, fried, covered in gravy or spicy. I think grits are disgusting.

retiredguy123 12-01-2018 07:46 AM

The only thing that I have never been able to eat is cottage cheese.

manaboutown 12-01-2018 10:06 AM

I am literally unable to choke down overcooked mushy tasteless veggies, fatty or tough cuts of meat and do not care for bland food at all. I love hot spicy food as I grew up in NM eating hot chili in one form or another almost daily. On occasion I enjoy venison, elk, goose, duck and so on if it is not too gamey. Escargot is totally out, yuk! At age 48 I acquired a taste for sushi and Japanese food after moving to Southern California and working for a Japanese company.

redwitch 12-01-2018 10:55 AM

I hate anything soft and mushy. That includes mashed potatoes, puddings and Jello. I think it took me about ten years to acquire a taste for ice cream. Smells are big issues, which eliminates overly sweet such as Pepsi, most frostings and the like, curries, bell peppers, some cheeses. Love sushi and dim sum, not so much other Chinese. Almost anything with garlic is yummy, including escargot (ignore the meat, just dip the bread in the sauce, swallow the meat whole). Hate sauces and gravies on my meat. Hate cooked fish but will eat it if I have to. Love most fruit and many veggies (cept eggplant and cooked cauliflower). Prefer my foods don’t touch each other but have learned to tolerate that. Sensory issues truly limit your world.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-01-2018 12:11 PM

Due to a youthful overindulgence at Mardi Gras, I cannot stand the smell or taste of Gin. Hate all liqueurs except Kahlua. Got no use for white chocolate. I am very picky about molasses.

Love most seafood. I don't care for everyone's favorite, salmon, except for croquettes. Raised in Bayou country, so I love all my native chow...oysters, catfish, crawfish, grits, collards, game, jambalaya, boudin, tasso, poboys, muffalettas, gumbo, gumbo, gumbo and gumbo. My wife is one generation out of Poland, and I have not found any Polish food that I don't like.

Nucky 12-01-2018 12:20 PM

I worked in a supermarket as a teenager and the system of marking each can or container was on a conveyor and roller system in the basement. Since I was low man on the list I had the pleasure of cleaning up the humongous amount of breakage of Catsup, Mustard, Mayo Etc.

I can't eat or look at Catsup to this day but love to eat Tomatoes.

I have an allergy to booze also, it makes me break out in handcuffs! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Carla B 12-01-2018 12:25 PM

I love most of the things you all dislike, except game meat and soft, mushy vegetables, like Manaboutown. My one huge dislike is for peanuts in ANY form and that is because they make me sick. I also avoid rhubarb if I can. I love fish, except for fresh tuna. Canned tuna is fine. I like any kind of potato salad, any kind of coleslaw, any kind of chili, including Skyline. My husband likes all fruits and veggies. I never have to ask "What would you like for dinner?" I just put it on the table. When we go out he prefers not to look at the menu. He likes for me to select his entree.

My son, on the other hand, has some real food oddities. He can't tolerate "furry fruit," so that knocks out raspberries, strawberries, peaches, and kiwis. My daughter won't eat anything with jam, jelly, or syrup on it or in it.

JSR22 12-01-2018 02:18 PM

I am a terrible eater. I do not like cooked vegetables, lettuce, chicken, eggs, mayo, mustard, jelly, pudding, pie, canned fish, beans.

queasy27 12-01-2018 03:11 PM

Another pudding-hater here. If it has a skin, I may run screaming into the night.

Quote:

Due to a youthful overindulgence at Mardi Gras, I cannot stand the smell or taste of Gin. Hate all liqueurs except Kahlua.
So funny! I had the same issue with Southern Comfort over 40 years ago and the smell of it still makes my screen name suit me.

Ecuadog 12-01-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1603705)
I have an allergy to booze also, it makes me break out in handcuffs!

I'm definitely stealing that one. Hilarious.

aninjamom 12-01-2018 07:03 PM

Being the oldest of six kids, I'm not very picky about food. I don't go out of my way to eat raw fish (sushi), beets, raw oysters, or slimy okra. Otherwise, I'll try something at least once. I've tried octopus and escargot. Once. :icon_wink:

mixsonci 12-02-2018 12:17 AM

The only vegetables I eat are peas, corn, lettuce and tomato, won't eat anything else. Definitely won't eat ANYTHING that has an Onion in it. HATE them.