Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Chevy Owners Be Aware (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/chevy-owners-aware-278744/)

champion6 12-01-2018 03:46 PM

Chevy Owners Be Aware

A fire Thursday night gutted the service department of Cecil Clark's Chevrolet on U.S. Highway 441 in Leesburg.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Dealership owner Greg Clark said Thursday he thought fumes from a gas tank might have been the culprit.

The cause of the fire is uncertain, but firefighters who responded to the blaze in the service department know for certain that it started with a vehicle in the second bay of the garage.

Arson is not suspected.

Firefighters got the call at 6:53 p.m., and the first unit, from the airport across the highway, arrived five minutes later, Henry said. Ten units responded, including some from Lake County, who squelched much of the blaze initially, he explained.

Five or six cars were damaged or destroyed in the garage, along with tools and equipment. The fire did not damage the show room or any other part of the dealership.

thelegges 12-01-2018 04:31 PM

They are a certified GM dealership, so may not have been just a Chevy

stvaughn 12-01-2018 10:41 PM

What am I supposed to be aware of?

dewilson58 12-02-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvaughn (Post 1603865)

Ugly Fords.

:MOJE_whot:

SouthOfTheBorder 12-02-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvaughn (Post 1603865)

Are you a chevy owner?

bilcon 12-02-2018 10:11 AM

I guess you mean look for another dealer to service your car, right?

billethkid 12-02-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilcon (Post 1603949)
I guess you mean look for another dealer to service your car, right?

That must be it!

raynan 12-02-2018 10:33 AM

It could be a FYI if you had your car in there for service. Hope not.

Topspinmo 12-02-2018 11:10 AM

Any fuel injected vehicle can catch fire. It is important when you smell gas fumes to check for leaks especially around the fuel injection rail feeding the cylinders where just tiny o-ring prevent fuel under pressure from spray everywhere which if it hits hot exhaust manifold can cause instant inferno. In Early 90s GM and other manufacturers has this problem when o-rings failed to prevent high pressure fuel from spraying out after couple years in service. But, most likely the smell of gas fumes was present before the infernos.

other places to look are under the car and on the ground if the leak bad enough to drip before evaporation. IMO in service bay it would be hard for cool engine to catch fire, now if open fuel was present and low ignition source close to ground can flash over if fumes are bad enough ( why gas water heaters have to be 18” or more off floor of garage due to fumes ignition) hopefully the fire inspector s can nail down source or cause of the fire?

Another cause could of been short from battery, but usually batteries are disconnected during maintenance to prevent sparks, shorts, arc’s, and computer damage. A mechanic could of been careless And left battery c0nnected or some metal close and it rolled and caused dead short.

Topspinmo 12-02-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1603924)
Ugly Fords.

:MOJE_whot:

Only in the eyes of the beholder. Ford gets bad rap, but the have yet sucked the government tit.

thetruth 12-02-2018 11:53 AM

Ford-bad rap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1603983)
Only in the eyes of the beholder. Ford gets bad rap, but the have yet sucked the government tit.

I've owned many cars and used to drive quite a lot. Just about every car I've owned served me well for 150,000 miles.

I owned a Renault Alliance from American Motors. When, Chrysler took it over I realized I was in trouble when the mechanics commented it was rare to see one with 150,000 on it.

Unfair? Perhaps but, the Ford Alliance was the worst car I've ever owned. Currently own a Chevy Malibu and my car before that was a Chevy Lumina. Ford will never sell me another car.

It is true that Ford did not take bailout money but, have you asked why? If, the government was willing to lend money far below fair market rate why did Ford not take it.
The answer is that the government demanded to review executive compensation packages.

asianthree 12-02-2018 01:15 PM

So back to what car was it.

This year at a dealership, in Sterling Heights Mi, had a fire in the service department was due to a cleaning crew got to close to a can of rags. The cleaning machine ran into the can, sparks caught the rags, and burned down most of the service department and all cars inside. No car was the problem.

Entire episode was caught on security cameras, so didn’t need second guessing.

Topspinmo 12-02-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1604002)
I've owned many cars and used to drive quite a lot. Just about every car I've owned served me well for 150,000 miles.

I owned a Renault Alliance from American Motors. When, Chrysler took it over I realized I was in trouble when the mechanics commented it was rare to see one with 150,000 on it.

Unfair? Perhaps but, the Ford Alliance was the worst car I've ever owned. Currently own a Chevy Malibu and my car before that was a Chevy Lumina. Ford will never sell me another car.

It is true Ford did not take bailout money but, have you asked why? If, the government was willing to lend money far below fair market rate why did Ford not take it.
The answer is that the government demanded to review executive compensation packages.

If I remember right Alliance was Renault car brand When I google ford Alliance nothing comes up? Renault IMO was Yogo quality about as far as the bottom you could get. But, they were cheap, in more ways that one.

Ford didn’t like the attachments that came with the money and they were smart not to take it, look what happened to Chrysler, got sold out to foreign company and GM stockholders when GM filed bankruptcy which wasn’t supposed to happen when they took the first billions, then, there upper management got paid off to with the government tit money to retire and union retirement fund. Who knows who else got paid off?

Bjeanj 12-02-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1603983)

So elegant.

Moderator 12-02-2018 04:27 PM

Back on topic, please....fire at local Chevy dealership service department. If discussion continues on government bailouts, thread will be closed.