Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Sealing an already painted driveway: DIY, please advise (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/sealing-already-painted-driveway-diy-please-advise-278772/)

HandyGrandpap 12-01-2018 11:37 PM

Sealing an already painted driveway: DIY, please advise

I would like to, as a DIY project, seal an already painted driveway mainly to sustain the integrity of the paint so it does not start to chip and such.
Anyone with experience in 1) how to prep the driveway as I would presume a pressure washer would be too harsh and may damage the paint and 2) recommend a specific sealant for painted driveways. I have seen numerous driveway sealers but none that appear specific to painted driveways. I have attempted to search the above two questions on this site with no luck.
Thank you very much!!!

Down Sized 12-02-2018 06:19 AM

The professionals spray 2 coats after washing driveway. You can usually tell a DIY by the roller streaks and different thickness when the sun shines on the driveway.

theorem painter 12-02-2018 07:54 AM

I painted my sidewalk and Ace Hardware recommended a sealer. No brush stokes and it looks as good as when I first painted it 3 years ago.

villagetinker 12-02-2018 11:06 AM

I am not sure if all of the sealers are compatible with all of the paints, so if you can determine the original paint used, you should be able to get a suitable sealer. Now one word of caution, be sure to add shark grip or equal traction enhancer or you may end up with a skating rink when your driveway was wet. Our driveway was painted with a Xylene based paint, and had shark grip added as part of the process. It is due to be sealed in about 2 years.

JohnN 01-18-2019 10:44 AM

You can do this pretty easily, because I've done it.

I had my driveway/lanai/patio painted and sealed in 2012 on a new home. Normal sealer lasts about 4 years with a double coating of sealer. My initial contractor only did a single coat, so in 2015, I bought some sealer at Lowes, got a long-handle roller and applied it - two coats this time. I think it looks great and has worn well. I can tell that I'll have to do it again, this year or next. You can do this for less than 1/10th of what you'd be charged, and do a better job. Good luck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/H-C-Concret...-fl-oz/3390426

DangeloInspections 01-18-2019 12:05 PM

I have done this on a driveway I stained a few years ago. After doing the research, I found that I preferred a Zylene based sealer better than a water based sealer. Others may feel differently.

H&C makes one in a green can. It smells horrible....but that is how you know you have the right type. You are outside so that is good. The latex type does not smell much at all.

As VT wisely stated, be sure to mix one cup of Shark Grip to each gallon and stir every so often to keep it in suspension. I do two coats, rolling one way the first coat and the other way the 2nd coat for even coating.

Of course, be sure to take your car out of the garage first....I give it a couple of days before driving on it.

Frank

Frank

retiredguy123 01-18-2019 12:43 PM

I have the plain concrete driveway that the builder installed, which looks great to me. If I want to look at a painted driveway, I just look at the next door neighbor's. I hope they keep it sealed properly so I don't have to look at chipped paint.

graciegirl 01-18-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1617063)
I have the plain concrete driveway that the builder installed, which looks great to me. If I want to look at a painted driveway, I just look at the next door neighbor's. I hope they keep it sealed properly so I don't have to look at chipped paint.

Us too.

villagetinker 01-18-2019 01:06 PM

Frank is correct, and the paint on our driveway is Xylene based, Frank takes for the tip on the Xylene based sealer, as our driveway will be due for dealing in 2 years.