Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Decision Support for FEDVIP Dental Programs to Replace TRDP (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/decision-support-fedvip-dental-programs-replace-trdp-278861/)

Rebel Pirate 12-03-2018 08:04 AM

Decision Support for FEDVIP Dental Programs to Replace TRDP

We’ve had the same dentist for several years and are completely satisfied, but they are not a network provider for any of the FEDVIP options. I’m interested in hearing from TOTV’ers:

1. Who are currently enrolled in the Tricare Retiree Dental Program (TDRP) and
2. Have been multiple-year patients of a local dental practice and
3. Are completely satisfied with their dentist and
4. Their dentist will be an in-network provider for at least one of the FEDVIP programs.

Thanks in advance!

Pirate :)

Rapscallion St Croix 12-03-2018 11:12 AM

I have searched for in-net providers for all the insurance offerings of FEDVIP. The ones in our area all have poor or no ratings. I am with an out-of-network dentist who takes our current plan now and since I am in good dental health, I will stick with Delta and continue to pay the larger copay. If it doesn't work out, I will change next open season.

villagetinker 12-03-2018 04:13 PM

I have a question, does it matter if the dentist is in or our of network? The reason I ask, the dentist we use accepts NO insurance, they give me a bill, with an envelope addressed to the appropriate insurance company, and the insurance company sends me a check.
I go with a GOOD or GREAT dentist and deal with the insurance as necessary.
Currently, I dropped all coverage, as it is not worth it, if you still are lucky enough to have coverage from your employer, then, you may be out a few $$ until the insurance company reimburses you, IMHO go with the GOOD or GREAT dentist.

logdog 12-03-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate (Post 1604190)
We’ve had the same dentist for several years and are completely satisfied, but they are not a network provider for any of the FEDVIP options. I’m interested in hearing from TOTV’ers:

1. Who are currently enrolled in the Tricare Retiree Dental Program (TDRP) and
2. Have been multiple-year patients of a local dental practice and
3. Are completely satisfied with their dentist and
4. Their dentist will be an in-network provider for at least one of the FEDVIP programs.

Thanks in advance!

Pirate :)

We have TRDP and have been going to Dr Lesh at Southern Trace on Wedgewood Lane for 9 years now. They take 4 of the FEDVIP options - Aetna, Delta, GEHA and Metlife. We signed up for GEHA.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-03-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logdog (Post 1604464)
We have TRDP and have been going to Dr Lesh at Southern Trace on Wedgewood Lane for 9 years now. They take 4 of the FEDVIP options - Aetna, Delta, GEHA and Metlife. We signed up for GEHA.

My dentist as well...not in-network, however, for any of the plans. Taking the insurance as an out-of-network dentist which means more cost per visit for the patient. Every time I have a claim, TRDP sends me a reminder that I could save money by switching to a network dentist.

epoch 12-04-2018 12:19 AM

have TDRP and GEHA dental.

for those with TRDP, are you going to cancel before you are charged for December? I don't know if there is any advantage in keeping the trdp until the fedvip plan starts. I am going to the dentist later this month, so I am going to keep trdp until the end. :)

tricare retiree dental plan

logdog 12-04-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1604486)
My dentist as well...not in-network, however, for any of the plans. Taking the insurance as an out-of-network dentist which means more cost per visit for the patient. Every time I have a claim, TRDP sends me a reminder that I could save money by switching to a network dentist.

I started getting those reminders about a year or two ago but Heather at Dr Lesh's office who handles insurance told us TRDP was mistaken. They are a Delta network provider and all the claims that they processed for us covered everything that a network provider would.

Rebel Pirate 12-06-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1604423)
I have a question, does it matter if the dentist is in or our of network? The reason I ask, the dentist we use accepts NO insurance, they give me a bill, with an envelope addressed to the appropriate insurance company, and the insurance company sends me a check.
I go with a GOOD or GREAT dentist and deal with the insurance as necessary.
Currently, I dropped all coverage, as it is not worth it, if you still are lucky enough to have coverage from your employer, then, you may be out a few $$ until the insurance company reimburses you, IMHO go with the GOOD or GREAT dentist.

Generally, patients are responsible for a larger co-pay when they are treated by an out-of-network provider. Most - but not all - of the FEDVIP plans require a 10% larger copay for out-of-network providers.

Rebel Pirate 12-06-2018 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=epoch;1604546]have TDRP and GEHA dental.

for those with TRDP, are you going to cancel before you are charged for December? I don't know if there is any advantage in keeping the trdp until the fedvip plan starts. I am going to the dentist later this month, so I am going to keep trdp until the end. :)

I'm going to keep continuous coverage...TRDP through the end of December and then a new plan beginning January. I wouldn't advise canceling early. After all, it is dental insurance. If a covered patient has an injury that affects their teeth and they just cancelled their insurance, then you're on your own. Not a good idea to save a few bucks at the end of the year.