Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Scam phone calls daily (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/scam-phone-calls-daily-278869/)

Bleudeturquoise 12-03-2018 09:09 AM

Scam phone calls daily

How to block these phone calls - now up to 10 or more a day on home line

villagetinker 12-03-2018 09:18 AM

I am guessing these are from different phone numbers so blocking will be a problem. I am getting ready to change the answering machine message to indicate all calls will be screened, and that if you really want to talk to me leave a message and phone number.

There is a service called NoMoRobo, you need to sign up on line and your telephone service provided needs to support the service, this may help.

One of the big problems is that the scam/spam callers are now using computer sites to mask or change the phone number displayed, so call blocking no longer works as they are constantly changing numbers. I have actually gotten calls from my OWN phone number and e-mails from my OWN email address.

I feel your pain, if you find a solution, please post it for the rest of us.

CWGUY 12-03-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise (Post 1604221)
How to block these phone calls - now up to 10 or more a day on home line

:shrug: If you can..... have it taken out. Removed mine several months ago and don't miss it! It was unplugged most of the time anyway.

billethkid 12-03-2018 09:41 AM

It is not just the land lines that are affected.

I get 4-10 nuisance calls on my cell phone almost daily.

I retained my 502 area code service and initially that is where most came from. Now I get calls from all over the USA.

Do not call list is useless. And as has been stated blocking is ineffective as computers are constantly generating different numbers.

If the number does not show up from my contact list I do not answer. Most robo calls will not go to the point to leave a message.

Topspinmo 12-03-2018 09:42 AM

Trying to block waste is of time, they buy blocks of numbers in the hundreds, block one and you just hit by the hundred. They have lobbyist making sure they can’t get completely blocked by regulations manipulation.

Topspinmo 12-03-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1604241)
It is not just the land lines that are affected.

I get 4-10 nuisance calls on my cell phone almost daily.

I retained my 502 area code service and initially that is where most came from. Now I get calls from all over the USA.

Do not call list is useless. And as has been stated blocking is ineffective as computers are constantly generating different numbers.

If the number does not show up from my contact list I do not answer. Most robo calls will not go to the point to leave a message.

We’re same way, if we don’t recognize the number we don’t answer.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 12-03-2018 01:26 PM

I wouldn't call them scam calls, but I get several sales calls every day. Somehow, in many cases, my phone seems to be able to hang up on them after a few seconds.

In other cases, I like to have fun with them. One cal often starts, We were asked to give you a call about......." I stop them right there and say, "Who asked you to give me a call?" Then they try to go back to some sort of script and I won't let them. I demand to know who asked them to give me a call. And I won't let them talk unless they give me an answer.

When one of them got obstinate with me I told her that she's lying and if she thinks she's going to sell me something she's crazy. She told me that I should be more careful about what I put out on the internet. So the lesson is that if you respond in any way to any ads int eh internet when you are only trying to get a price or more information, you can expect to get a lot of these kinds of calls.

In the business they call you a "qualified lead".

Skip’dabeat 12-03-2018 06:17 PM

Seems to me mobile phone makers (apple/android) could easily resolve this issue by adding a setting which when turned on does not allow your phone to ring unless the incoming number is from one of your contacts. I can’t understand why they haven’t added this feature yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulligan 12-04-2018 08:33 AM

I've had that feature on my android phone from verizon for years.

retiredguy123 12-04-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat (Post 1604473)
Seems to me mobile phone makers (apple/android) could easily resolve this issue by adding a setting which when turned on does not allow your phone to ring unless the incoming number is from one of your contacts. I can’t understand why they haven’t added this feature yet.

On my Samsung Galaxy S8, I can turn on the "do not disturb" setting, and allow custom exceptions that can include my contacts. I never do this because I like talking to scammers.

Doro22 12-04-2018 09:01 AM

We keep that generic message that came with the phone, and the scam callers rarely leave a message. Oh we don’t answer any numbers we don’t recognize. Saves lots of time on our part.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 12-04-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat (Post 1604473)

The problem with that is that I run a club and I get calls from people all the time inquiring about the club or from members that are not listed in my contacts. I've also gotten calls from my various doctors that are from a different number than I have listed for them.

ColdNoMore 12-04-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1604660)
The problem with that is that I run a club and I get calls from people all the time inquiring about the club or from members that are not listed in my contacts. I've also gotten calls from my various doctors that are from a different number than I have listed for them.

If it's actually important, they'll use the new, nifty little feature called...'voicemail.'

I've personally never understood those who think they absolutely, must, under all circumstances, situation or location...answer a ringing phone. :ohdear:

BobnBev 12-04-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1604708)
If it's actually important, they'll use the new, nifty little feature called...'voicemail.'

I've personally never understood those who think they absolutely, must, under all circumstances, situation or location...answer a ringing phone. :ohdear:

Unless you are a 911 dispatcher.

mtdjed 12-04-2018 04:03 PM

Why waste time with a scammer? You may think you are giving them a hard time but mostly you are wasting your time. The scammers have obviously heard it all many time. They are doing this all day long and another failure is just part of the job.

Let unknown calls go to the answering machine and save time unless you like to talk.