Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Lee Child's "Past Tense". (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/lee-childs-past-tense-279078/)

Taltarzac725 12-05-2018 08:58 AM

Lee Child's "Past Tense".

Past Tense (Jack Reacher Series #23) by Lee Child, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble(R)

If you like Jack Reacher, this is another one of Lee Child's entries about this anti-hero of sorts you will like.

Still have trouble picturing Tom Cruise as the film version of Reacher. Someone like The Rock would be much more appropriate even if he seems extremely busy of late.

Cannot wait for Reacher #24.

fw102807 12-05-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1604993)
Past Tense (Jack Reacher Series #23) by Lee Child, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble(R)

If you like Jack Reacher, this is another one of Lee Child's entries about this anti-hero of sorts you will like.

Still have trouble picturing Tom Cruise as the film version of Reacher. Someone like The Rock would be much more appropriate even if he seems extremely busy of late.

Cannot wait for Reacher #24.

I agree Tom Cruise would not be my choice. According to the books he was big and buff but not particularly handsome in a pretty way. I think more like David Boreanaz.

Taltarzac725 12-05-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1605011)
I agree Tom Cruise would not be my choice. According to the books he was big and buff but not particularly handsome in a pretty way. I think more like David Boreanaz.

David Boreanaz - Wikipedia

That seems like a more appropriate pick than Tom Cruise. Lee Child seemed OK with Cruise cast as Jack Reacher though. Kind of like chosing a chihuahua to play the part of a very muscular and well fed pit bull.

JohnN 02-12-2019 10:57 AM

Lee Child is fabulous. Tom Cruise, not so much.

Taltarzac725 02-12-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1624384)
Lee Child is fabulous. Tom Cruise, not so much.

I like some things about Tom Cruise, other things not so much.

redwitch 02-12-2019 12:34 PM

I tried watching Tom Cruise as Reacher. Just didn’t work. Tom had the machismo and the swagger, but he just can’t be a convincing 6’5”, no matter how much they shoot up. Fortunately, I love to read and have enjoyed Lee Child for a long, long time, so will happily read Reacher whenever they hit paperback format.

I think The Rock has too much charisma and charm for Reacher. Boreanaz a much better choice. Nice guy but can be tough. Robert Mitchum or Lee Marvin would have been great as Reacher.

Taltarzac725 02-12-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1624410)
I tried watching Tom Cruise as Reacher. Just didn’t work. Tom had the machismo and the swagger, but he just can’t be a convincing 6’5”, no matter how much they shoot up. Fortunately, I love to read and have enjoyed Lee Child for a long, long time, so will happily read Reacher whenever they hit paperback format.

I think The Rock has too much charisma and charm for Reacher. Boreanaz a much better choice. Nice guy but can be tough. Robert Mitchum or Lee Marvin would have been great as Reacher.

Does not look like the next book -- Jack Reacher 24-- is not coming out until March 31, 2020.

collie1228 02-13-2019 10:24 AM

Jack Reacher was by far my fictional favorite character for the first five or six books, but I need at modicum of believably in my light reading, and Reacher, unfortunately, is no longer believable for me. He comes into a random town with no agenda, and always finds a major crime in-process, usually a major conspiracy of some kind, and solves it by using his military policeman detective skills and a lot of violence. Way too many coincidences for me. But I do love it when he kicks the snot out of several bad guys at once. Not believeable, but enjoyable.

JP 02-13-2019 10:25 AM

I didn't think I would enjoy Tom Cruise as Reacher but I thought he did a great job. Maybe the camera angles helped but I didn't think his size was a factor.

N44125 02-13-2019 01:01 PM

Last 2 books were ‘dull’.

JP 02-14-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1624702)
Last 2 books were ‘dull’.

Totally agree

fw102807 02-14-2019 10:30 AM

I though Make Me was his most horrific book.

JohnN 03-29-2019 07:51 PM

Other writers that I like quite a bit are Nick Petrie (Peter Ash), Robert Crais (Elvis Cole) , Tom Woods (Victor the Assassin), Rob Sinclair (Rise of the Enemy) and Matthew Reilly (Scarecrow), besides old Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch), Robert Parker (Spenser and Jesse Stone) and Stephen Cannell (Shane Scully).