Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Medical help needed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/medical-help-needed-279280/)

angel222 12-07-2018 02:15 PM

Medical help needed

I have been experiencing severe leg cramps in my left leg during the day for several months - Never at night. Have gone to my internist, my orthopedist, neither have been able to help. All blood work is fine and have also been tested for vein and arteries. Is there anyone else having this experience and what kind of doctor did you go to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m at my wits end !!!

NotGolfer 12-07-2018 08:52 PM

You may need potassium or magnesium. I've had cramping in my legs (PAINFUL is right!!!) and found that magnesium supplements help immensely. Just go to one of the health-food stores (either on LaPlaza Grande or Green Apple) and ask the about it.

fw102807 12-07-2018 09:06 PM

Leg cramps, especially in one leg, can be caused by flat feet. As the foot flattens out the leg muscles are strained.

tophcfa 12-07-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1605728)
You may need potassium or magnesium. I've had cramping in my legs (PAINFUL is right!!!) and found that magnesium supplements help immensely. Just go to one of the health-food stores (either on LaPlaza Grande or Green Apple) and ask the about it.

Agree with the above as a possibility, also de-hydration can cause cramps. Drink lots of water or a sports drink with electrolytes. Go light on the coffee and alcohol as those can cause de-hydration.

BK001 12-07-2018 11:00 PM

Also try putting a bar of soap under your sheets. I know, I know sounds crazy. It does seem to work for some. Here is one article and a SNOPES report about the practice:

Skeptics Become Bed Soap Believers To Overcome Leg Cramps - The People's Pharmacy

FACT CHECK: Soap in Bed Combats Leg Cramps?

Google to find literally dozens and dozens of anecdotal experiences with this approach.

retiredguy123 12-08-2018 12:07 AM

Statin drugs for high cholesterol can cause muscle cramps.

Fraugoofy 12-08-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel222 (Post 1605646)
I have been experiencing severe leg cramps in my left leg during the day for several months - Never at night. Have gone to my internist, my orthopedist, neither have been able to help. All blood work is fine and have also been tested for vein and arteries. Is there anyone else having this experience and what kind of doctor did you go to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m at my wits end !!!

Magnesium. 2x daily w food. Noticeable difference in 4 weeks...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

ColdNoMore 12-08-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1605763)
Also try putting a bar of soap under your sheets. I know, I know sounds crazy. It does seem to work for some. Here is one article and a SNOPES report about the practice:

Skeptics Become Bed Soap Believers To Overcome Leg Cramps - The People's Pharmacy

FACT CHECK: Soap in Bed Combats Leg Cramps?

Google to find literally dozens and dozens of anecdotal experiences with this approach.

When I first read about this technique a few years ago, I chuckled at how naive some folks could be.

After waking up in excruciating pain in the middle of the night once again (and trying the yellow mustard concoction, that made me gag), I finally decided..."why not give it a try?"

I have had a bar of Dial between the bottom sheet and mattress cover, down by my knees, for the last few years...and haven't had cramps even once!

I don't care if it is psychosomatic or not, all I know...it's worked for me! :thumbup:

dewilson58 12-08-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1605776)

If "you" have this issue, take CoQ10. Works GREAT.

graciegirl 12-08-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1605776)

But they can keep those heart arteries open. We have to balance …….stuff.

graciegirl 12-08-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1605821)
When I first read about this technique a few years ago, I chuckled at how naive some folks could be.

After waking up in excruciating pain in the middle of the night once again (and trying the yellow mustard concoction, that made me gag), I finally decided..."why not give it a try?"

I have had a bar of Dial between the bottom sheet and mattress cover, down by my knees, for the last few years...and haven't had cramps even once!

I don't care if it is psychosomatic or not, all I know...it's worked for me! :thumbup:

When I was a kid the older folks would bury a potato under the downspout. I can't remember what it was supposed to help.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say; Night leg cramps - Mayo Clinic

Carla B 12-09-2018 11:31 AM

The OP says her leg cramps during the day. Don't know if the time makes a difference. A friend with nighttime cramps is being treated with quinine, as in anti-malaria drug and it has helped but has to be closely monitored.

graciegirl 12-09-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1606161)
The OP says her leg cramps during the day. Don't know if the time makes a difference. A friend with nighttime cramps is being treated with quinine, as in anti-malaria drug and it has helped but has to be closely monitored.

In this article it says quinine is not being prescribed now;

Warding Off Muscle Cramps As We Age : NPR