Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Snakes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/snakes-279369/)

Arctic Fox 12-08-2018 02:15 PM

Snakes

Just set a new personal record for "snakeskin in garden" of 4' 5"

Thankfully the record for "snake in house" remains at a more-manageable 7"

Paper1 12-08-2018 07:54 PM

Do black racers get that long? We have had three get in our lanai I think chasing anoles where siding mates with aluminum frame. Those were all about 3 feet or a bit more.

bagboy 12-08-2018 08:04 PM

Black Racers max out around four and a half feet.

Topspinmo 12-08-2018 08:55 PM

There’s more snakes on you’re property than you know about. I find ring necked snakes quit often when doing yard work. They are about size of small night crawler worn and are rarely seen but the are in the ground cover and low growing landscape. They are harmless as the other non-poisonous snakes like the Gardner snake and the black snakes that are around, but hardly seen.

tophcfa 12-08-2018 10:42 PM

I am not afraid of many things, but snakes creep me out to no end. We have lots of snakes because we back up to a wildlife preserve. As long as they can't find there way into our birdcage and then into the pool then its's all good. Never get into the pool without a snake check! Only two times have we found one in the pool, but damm!

Arctic Fox 12-09-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1606057)
Never get into the pool without a snake check! Only two times have we found one in the pool, but damm!

Yes, but you did swim your quickest lap ever

New Englander 12-09-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1606057)
I am not afraid of many things, but snakes creep me out to no end. We have lots of snakes because we back up to a wildlife preserve. As long as they can't find there way into our birdcage and then into the pool then its's all good. Never get into the pool without a snake check! Only two times have we found one in the pool, but damm!

If the snake is in the pool, would it be one of the poisonese ones like cottonmouth?

xcaligirl 12-10-2018 09:19 AM

I haven't found one yet in our pool but, when I do, you will hear it!!!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 12-10-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1606135)
If the snake is in the pool, would it be one of the poisonese ones like cottonmouth?

Water Moccasins and Florida Water Snakes look very similar. The Moccasin is poisonous and the FL Water Snake is not. If it's in the water, it's probably one of those.

Arctic Fox 12-10-2018 12:11 PM

Just to be add to your fount of knowledge:

There are no poisonous snakes, but there are plenty of venomous ones

tophcfa 12-10-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1606135)

The snakes that find their way into our pool are always small (so they can fit in the cracks where the siding meets the birdcage) and black. I think they are just water snakes, but not certain. To get rid of them I prop open the birdcage door, catch the snake in the skimmer on a long pole that is used to clean stuff floating in the pool, go out the door and toss the snake over the fence between our property and the preserve. I never actually touch them. Sometimes we see a hawk swoop down into the preserve and come up with a black snake, so I doubt they are venomous as I imagine the hawk would know better?

Bjeanj 12-10-2018 01:36 PM

Doubt the hawk cares (;-), but I get creeped out by them too.

Bjeanj 12-10-2018 01:42 PM

In June 2016, I found a 51” snake skin, whicH I guess is 4’3”.

Nucky 12-10-2018 03:02 PM

:1rotfl:I brought up the snake subject while in the pool one night and Mrs. Nucky didn't hear the first part about hypothetically if there was a snake in the pool, She levitated outta the pool. Its funny now but I remember that was a rough night! Whew! She was not happy with yours truly, I guess get in line was the wrong answer to her. :1rotfl:

I was deathly afraid before I moved here. GE was kidding me all the time about sending me a Bag 'O Snakes. It's really almost a non-issue, just have to be aware is all.