Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Weather Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/)
-   -   Nasty storm predicted (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/nasty-storm-predicted-279395/)

ColdNoMore 12-08-2018 06:10 PM

Nasty storm predicted

...for the Carolina's/Virginia.

Risk of iced roads grows as snowstorm closes in on North Carolina

Quote:

Drivers in North Carolina faced a growing risk on Saturday of roads glazed with ice as a major winter storm drew near, with the National Weather Service warning of more than a foot of snow in the state's mountainous west before the weekend was out.

The snow is due to arrive after dark, with the heaviest falls expected in the early hours of Sunday morning.

North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, who declared a state of emergency on Friday, told residents to finish their food stockpiling and other storm preparations and to avoid unnecessary travel.

"Prepare for DAYS of impact not hours," North Carolina Emergency Management warned residents in a statement. Tens of thousands of homes could lose power, the agency said.

Hopefully, no one has to travel through this area...for the next few days.

Spoiler 12-08-2018 07:21 PM

Hmmmm, we are right in the middle of this storm area in NC.

I guess when we move to The Villages next summer I won’t have to bring my snow shovel....

Looking forward to it...the move that is, not the storm...

Tom C 12-08-2018 11:09 PM

We call this ... Saturday night... not having to shovel snow and having ice storms will be very differnet for us....

graciegirl 12-08-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom C (Post 1606061)
We call this ... Saturday night... not having to shovel snow and having ice storms will be very differnet for us....

I am hoping that you find it delightful. We do.

Tom C 12-08-2018 11:18 PM

Gracie - thank you, it sounds wonderful. I have shoveled our driveway and porch twice this afternoon... lol.

dewilson58 12-09-2018 08:17 AM

These areas are not loaded with snow removal equipment.

Difficult to clear the roads.

1-2 inches per hours and a few power outages.

Take Care you Northerners.

stan the man 12-09-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1606084)
These areas are not loaded with snow removal equipment.

Difficult to clear the roads.

1-2 inches per hours and a few power outages.

Take Care you Northerners.

Thank you dew

Spoiler 12-09-2018 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the storm went past us and was a little weaker than predicted. Only got about 3 inches of snow with some freezing rain on top of it. Not too bad actually. I can work from home for a day or so... here’s a picture from the deck

ColdNoMore 12-09-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 1606241)
Well the storm went past us and was a little weaker than predicted. Only got about 3 inches of snow with some freezing rain on top of it. Not too bad actually. I can work from home for a day or so... here’s a picture from the deck

The freezing rain on top of the snow...makes for some tough road conditions.

I would be staying put for a few days too.

500 accidents reported in North Carolina

eweissenbach 12-09-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1606243)
The freezing rain on top of the snow...makes for some tough road conditions.

I would be staying put for a few days too.

500 accidents reported in North Carolina

Here in the KC area we often get freezing rain topped with snow. That is the worst - nothing can move and 4 wheel drive is useless.

ColdNoMore 12-09-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1606245)
Here in the KC area we often get freezing rain topped with snow. That is the worst - nothing can move and 4 wheel drive is useless.

Yep, freezing rain directly on the road (with or without snow on top)...is as bad as it gets. :(

Since the late 70's up north, I had either a 4X4 pickup or all wheel drive car...and still put studded snow tires on them in the winter.

Sometimes the only thing I could do to stay on the road (crown wanted to put you in the ditch), was to almost let it idle in 2nd or 3rd gear...with almost no accelerator input.

dewilson58 12-09-2018 07:20 PM

Asheville, NC.............12 inches of snow.

Henryk 12-10-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 1606241)

Nice deck! On a lake?

Spoiler 12-14-2018 04:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1606467)
Nice deck! On a lake?

Yes, we live on a small lake (abut 4 miles long) in NC.

25 years here in this house coming up in February. It has been nice, but it is a lot of work.

(Oh, by the way, it will be up for sale in the spring...:icon_wink:)