Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Question about washing machines (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/question-about-washing-machines-279486/)

mic4me 12-10-2018 07:49 AM

Question about washing machines

My wife wants a washer with an agitator. Looks like Maytag and GE are the two that Lowes sells. What are your recent experiences with these washers with agitators? I'm not interested in the differences or opinions between with or without agitator, just recent experiences with agitators. Her mind is made up. Thanks.

graciegirl 12-10-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mic4me (Post 1606376)
My wife wants a washer with an agitator. Looks like Maytag and GE are the two that Lowes sells. What are your recent experiences with these washers with agitators? I'm not interested in the differences or opinions between with or without agitator, just recent experiences with agitators. Her mind is made up. Thanks.

After the recent demise of our Maytag, we were faced with the same question. My first thought was that I want an agitator, just like the recently departed who served us for many years. But after talking to several sellers of appliances, we decided against one, but bought another Maytag, that is made by Whirlpool. We were told that agitators were dropped than companies continued to get requests for them, and they returned, but the other kind are better. The new one arrives this week. We will see.

fw102807 12-10-2018 08:08 AM

I am part of the cult that believes that there is nothing that compares to a Speed Queen but they do not sell these in Lowes or Home Depot. We got ours from DeSantis. They are the only brand where all of the components are made in the USA and these are the exact same machines that you see in most of the laundromats only without the coin slots.

Nucky 12-10-2018 08:33 AM

Our experience has been fantastic with Samsung Front Loaders. Going strong and about three years old and run daily.

I sign up for the online Consumer Report service everytime some appliance goes down the drain. It only costs $7 for a month then you can cancel. I believe they talked

about the pros and cons of Agitator Vs Non-Agitator. This report helped me pick out the Samsung Models we have. Others have had no luck with Samsung, we bought

the extended warranty which states if they can't fix it for any reason Home Depot will replace them. Interest-free for two years also. Good Luck. No Agitator and it only

uses a little water on each load.

graciegirl 12-10-2018 09:03 AM

We were having fun, no tension, a little kidding around.

Do we like agitators or not on this site? The answer is NO.

rjm1cc 12-10-2018 09:34 AM

No problem without the agitators. I think the wash time is longer and the water usage is less. Front loading is easier.

Boomer 12-10-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1606389)
I am part of the cult that believes that there is nothing that compares to a Speed Queen but they do not sell these in Lowes or Home Depot. We got ours from DeSantis. They are the only brand where all of the components are made in the USA and these are the exact same machines that you see in most of the laundromats only without the coin slots.

I am in the Speed Queen cult with you.

That is what we have up north. Very few frills, solidly built, outstanding reputation, has an agitator. Speed Queen is carried by some “Mom and Pop” appliance stores. The Speed Queen website should have a “Store Locator” section.

There are some old threads on here where Speed Queen was discussed. I tried to do a search so I could link that information. But my computer is a little squirrelly this morning so I gave up.

Dan9871 12-10-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1606428)
The Speed Queen website should have a “Store Locator” section.

It does. Here are the SpeedQueen dealers in zip 32163

Where to Buy - Speed Queen - Home Laundry Equipment

Consumer Reports review rate worse than Maytag or GE

Speed Queen TR7 Review - Consumer Reports

graciegirl 12-10-2018 10:21 AM

On a separate but somewhat related subject;

Maytag Repairman’s New Job Keeps Him Busy - The New York Times

Has anyone noticed that the Maytag repairman is now in several movies on the Hallmark channel. It is really hard for me to think of him as a romantic interest. I expect to see him running in place.

Maytag Man Colin Ferguson on his New Hallmark "Fixer Upper Mystery" | MediaVillage

bagboy 12-10-2018 10:27 AM

We had a GE without an agitator that lasted 7 years. My wife never liked it, so we bought a new GE with agitator last year at Lowes. She likes it much better. It wasn't expensive, so if we get 6 to 8 years out of it that works for me.

NotGolfer 12-10-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1606437)
Maytag Repairman’s New Job Keeps Him Busy - The New York Times

Has anyone noticed that the Maytag repairman is now in several movies on the Hallmark channel. It is really hard for me to think of him as a romantic interest. I expect to see him running in place.

Maytag Man Colin Ferguson on his New Hallmark "Fixer Upper Mystery" | MediaVillage

He's been on Hallmark a bit longer than the commercials he's doing. But I agree with you!

fw102807 12-10-2018 12:13 PM

Speed Queen totally redesigned their machines in 2018. The company was allowed to sell their standard design through 2017 but then in 2018 the government regulation (that already affected other manufacturers) would kick in and they'd have to conform. They were allowed to sell through 2017 but then had to switch over to the new "conservation/efficiency" design.

I use a full tub of warm or hot water because I will never believe clothes get clean in 6 inches of water. i had a Bosch front loader up north and I hated it. I will keep this Speed Queen washer until I die.

graciegirl 12-10-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1606474)
Speed Queen totally redesigned their machines in 2018. The company was allowed to sell their standard design through 2017 but then in 2018 the government regulation (that already affected other manufacturers) would kick in and they'd have to conform. They were allowed to sell through 2017 but then had to switch over to the new "conservation/efficiency" design.

I use a full tub of warm or hot water because I will never believe clothes get clean in 6 inches of water. i had a Bosch front loader up north and I hated it. I will keep this Speed Queen washer until I die.

I agree about the use of quite a bit of water to get clothes clean.

ColdNoMore 12-10-2018 02:13 PM

Cold Versus Hot/Warm

Quote:

Don't Bother Using Hot Water to Wash Your Laundry

Consumer Reports' experts say cold water can get the job done

fw102807 12-10-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1606506)

I don't believe anything that Consumer Reports has to say about anything. I also will never be convinced that cold water effectively cleans anything no matter how many studies that you produce. I use hot water, lots of it.