Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Expert A Golf Cart Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/ask-expert-golf-cart-question-230/)
-   -   Speedometer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/ask-expert-golf-cart-question-230/speedometer-279692/)

goldseekur 12-12-2018 02:00 PM

Speedometer

1 Attachment(s)
Who installs this particular type of speedometer on golf carts?

Frank7 12-12-2018 03:19 PM

Don't know, that is a bicycle speedometer, most golf cart dealers do no use them.

tophcfa 12-12-2018 09:24 PM

Just a word of warning, these speedometers appear very good and inexpensive, which they are. The only problem is that most people our age (speaking for myself) can't read the very small digital output that shows how fast you are going without a pair of cheaters. I can't wear cheaters when driving the golf cart, they help short reading vision but compromise the necessary long vision needed to drive.

golf2140 12-12-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank7 (Post 1606993)
Don't know, that is a bicycle speedometer, most golf cart dealers do no use them.

Welcome Back

B-flat 12-12-2018 09:57 PM

You may want to check with Scott at Grandma and Grandpa’s Buggies on 27.

Grandpa & Grandma's Village Buggies LLC - Home

villagerjack 12-12-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldseekur (Post 1606970)
Who installs this particular type of speedometer on golf carts?

I downloaded an AP and use my iPhone. Numbers are really large and easy to see and it was free. There are several to choose from.

There is also a COMPASS AP.

alanmcdonald 12-13-2018 08:13 AM

We have this speedometer on both our carts, they were part of the new cart package at Cart World.

billethkid 12-13-2018 10:33 AM

A speedometer for a vehicle that is designed for the golf course?
That only goes 19.8 mph?

If one must have one for whatever reason.....use the speedometer app, many of which are available on smart phones......for that once in a while "need to know".

JerryLBell 12-13-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1607178)
A speedometer for a vehicle that is designed for the golf course? That only goes 19.8 mph?

Ah, if only people didn't mess with their governors and get their golf carts to do well in excess of 19.8 mph! How many times have you been doing 30 mph in your car and barely managed to pass a golf cart? Also, the speed limit drops to 10 mph in the town squares and that's a bit harder to estimate without a speedometer.

According to the Wildwood police department, getting caught doing over 20 mph on a golf cart means you're driving an unlicensed street-legal vehicle illegally on a multi-purpose path, plus the speeding element. The fines do run over $600.

And it's true that most smart phones do have a map function that will show your current speed. But that means A) leaving your phone on and running the app all while draining the battery and B) trying to view the screen that isn't really optimal for viewing in direct sunlight.

The guy who does this advertises in the first section of the paper every Monday. Look for an ad that says something like, "Speedometer - $80, Tickets - $680". I had him put one on our cart and he comes to your house to do it. I think it's well worth having and find mine very easy to read. Perhaps the only downside of it is that the odometer rolls over at 1,000 miles so you really can't use it to track the total miles on your cart. However, the gas gauge on my cart shows the number of hours of total usage, so I just multiply that by 20 to get an estimate of total miles.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 12-13-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1607110)
I downloaded an AP and use my iPhone. Numbers are really large and easy to see and it was free. There are several to choose from.

There is also a COMPASS AP.

I did the same, but I found two problems. Number one is mounting it on the cart and number two it drains my battery very quickly.

Toymeister 12-13-2018 11:53 AM

Do It Yourself

The pictured speedometer is a Cat Eye Velo 9. Cat Eye is the brand leader for bike speedometers. The Velo 9 is the cheapest one they make . It is 29.95 on Amazon. If you have average skills these are easy to install as a DIY project.

ColdNoMore 12-13-2018 12:03 PM

Being able to gauge your speed, whether it be a mounted speedometer or a smart phone app...can save a person a lot of money.

Places like going south on Morse (downhill), where it is easy to quickly and inadvertently exceed 20mph (driving electric or gas carts) and get caught by the cops that often hide at the postal station on the west side of the road...can lead to an expensive lesson.

I know two people that found this out...the hard way. :ohdear:

billethkid 12-13-2018 12:20 PM

Ah the speedometer is for those who go faster than the speed limit allows.

I still don't understand why the additional 6-10 mph is so important/necessary.
Adding risk to those who have a legal cart.

Falls in the category of rolling through stop signs and speeding in automobiles.

Something does not compute. Retired folks with all the time in the world....always in a hurry!!

Shimpy 12-13-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1607224)
Retired folks with all the time in the world....always in a hurry!!

Not everyone lives their life in slow motion. There are times that you are in a hurry and don't want to be late. Needing a bathroom is one that comes into my mind.

AdiAri 03-12-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1607212)
The pictured speedometer is a Cat Eye Velo 9. Cat Eye is the brand leader for bike speedometers. The Velo 9 is the cheapest one they make . It is 29.95 on Amazon. If you have average skills these are easy to install as a DIY project.

Could you guide me to install or know who to call? I bought same speedometer from Amazon but clueless on installation.