Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/do-we-have-ocean-friendly-restaurants-villages-280021/)

jebartle 12-16-2018 09:54 AM

Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Too many pictures of our ocean abuse. What can we do to in courage this locally.

graciegirl 12-16-2018 10:32 AM

I don't know.

Let me ask a rhetorical question that is close to MY heart.

Do we do all we can to encourage vaccination?

manaboutown 12-16-2018 10:52 AM

Well I use the restrooms on shore and do not pee in the sea.

Two Bills 12-16-2018 11:05 AM

Never seen the Ocean in any of the local restaurants, so not sure if they are received in a friendly manner.
The fish is very nice, and there was no plastic on the plates.:icon_wink:

aninjamom 12-16-2018 12:27 PM

I would think the local steak places are mostly "ocean friendly". Cow friendly, not so much.

jebartle 12-16-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aninjamom (Post 1608117)
I would think the local steak places are mostly "ocean friendly". Cow friendly, not so much.

Good one, you get 5 points for that one, giggle! Just wondering about plastic found on our shores.
Would love return to bio-degradables again!

spring_chicken 12-16-2018 12:30 PM

Ok, I'll bite.
What exactly is a restaurant in TV going to do to harm the ocean?

Barefoot 12-16-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1608091)
Too many pictures of our ocean abuse. What can we do to in courage this locally.

I agree, it's disgusting to see pictures of our ocean abuse.
People justify the use of water bottles by saying that they are recycled.
I like to think that all recycled bottles are made into carryalls.
I'm not sure about that; a lot of plastic seems to end up in the ocean. :shrug:
If water bottles aren't recycled, would discontinuing their use be a good start?

Aloha1 12-16-2018 03:02 PM

Keep in mind that, as with CO2 emissions, most of the ocean trash we see comes from other countries.

perrjojo 12-16-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 1608170)
Keep in mind that, as with CO2 emissions, most of the ocean trash we see comes from other countries.

Very true. Turners in Leesburg doesn’t offer straws.

dillywho 12-16-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1608127)
I agree, it's disgusting to see pictures of our ocean abuse.
People justify the use of water bottles by saying that they are recycled.
I like to think that all recycled bottles are made into carryalls.
I'm not sure about that; a lot of plastic seems to end up in the ocean. :shrug:
If water bottles aren't recycled, would discontinuing their use be a good start?

It is a people problem....too lazy to use the trash receptacles. If they ban plastic bottles, then you will have glass bottles getting broken all over the beaches, etc. No more going barefoot, Barefoot.:duck:

Taltarzac725 12-16-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillywho (Post 1608178)
It is a people problem....too lazy to use the trash receptacles. If they ban plastic bottles, then you will have glass bottles getting broken all over the beaches, etc. No more going barefoot, Barefoot.:duck:

Never underestimate the ingenuity of people to come up with some kind of solution especially if there is a huge demand for one. Ooho: The Eco-Friendly Substitute to Plastic Bottles -Prescouter - Custom Intelligence, On-Demand

jebartle 12-16-2018 03:33 PM

The real problem is "to go" orders

Doggie bags and fast food are killers. My dog would miss his snacks for sure. Capt. D's uses a lot of paper products in their dine-in, can't think of any others. We never use straws at home, so we decline any straws when out.

JoMar 12-16-2018 04:22 PM

There isn't a huge effort in TV to recycle. Drive around on recycle days and notice the number of driveways that only have one garbage bag. Sit a postal station and watch the people sort their mail in their car and throw what they don't want in the trash instead of taking home and recycling, count how many people take reusable bags to the grocery store and how many take their groceries home in plastic. While it may make us feel good to go after the popular issue of the day, it seems many can preach but not practice. For those that recycle at home, use reusable bags at the grocery and throw their junk mail in recycle bins at home thank you for your contribution. For those that don't, please consider the options.

aninjamom 12-16-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1608119)
Good one, you get 5 points for that one, giggle! Just wondering about plastic found on our shores.
Would love return to bio-degradables again!

Why the concern about restaurants in TV specifically? I would imagine the 100,000+ people living here would be a much bigger issue. We personally recycle more than we throw away every week. Perhaps you would like to start a local awareness campaign, since this is what concerns you the most?