Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Noodle Pudding/Kugel Receipe (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/noodle-pudding-kugel-receipe-280083/)

Susan Schonfeld 12-17-2018 07:37 AM

Noodle Pudding/Kugel Receipe

1 lb extra wide egg noodles, 1 lb cottage cheese, 1 lb sour cream, 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar - bake approx 45 minutes until firm and light brown at 350 degrees. Creamy custard type. You can add raisins if you want :bigbow:

BK001 12-17-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Schonfeld (Post 1608309)
1 lb extra wide egg noodles, 1 lb cottage cheese, 1 lb sour cream, 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar - bake approx 45 minutes until firm and light brown at 350 degrees. Creamy custard type. You can add raisins if you want :bigbow:

Sounds wonderful. Too bad I am on a highly restrictive diet for now. But I'll store this recipe away for that far off "cheat day".

Pinball wizard 12-17-2018 10:17 AM

How about a great brisket recipe??

swooner 12-17-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Should never use anything but thin noodles. Wide noodles are for Tuna Casserole. Three generations of love that Kugel stand behind my answer.

jane032657 12-17-2018 03:43 PM

Respectfully disagree. Wide noodles! And pineapple small pieces is nice to add too.

BK001 12-17-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1608499)
Should never use anything but thin noodles. Wide noodles are for Tuna Casserole. Three generations of love that Kugel stand behind my answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane032657 (Post 1608504)
Respectfully disagree. Wide noodles! And pineapple small pieces is nice to add too.

Can I use medium noodles? asked the Shiksa.

JSR22 12-17-2018 04:03 PM

Wide Noodles

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane032657 (Post 1608504)

I only use wide noodles for kugel. Additionally, I add butter, sugar, raisins, dried fruit and slivered almonds.
I just checked my "Jewish Cooking in America" cookbook almost every recipe calls for wide noodles.
The cookbook has an amazing Moroccan Brisket with Olives. Excellent brisket!

BK001 12-17-2018 04:09 PM

I would love some really good brisket recipes.

JSR22 12-17-2018 04:18 PM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1608507)
Can I use medium noodles? asked the Shiksa.

1 recipe in my cookbook calls for medium noodles!

Henryk 12-17-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1608516)
I would love some really good brisket recipes.

Me, too. May I suggest you start a thread?

Henryk 12-17-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Dumb question: are the noodles cooked first?

Also, do you ever use brown sugar?

JSR22 12-17-2018 04:32 PM

INGREDIENTS
6 lb Brisket of beef
2 cl Garlic, peeled and halved
1/4 ts Tumeric
Saffron, a few strands
1 Lemon, for juice
1/4 c olive oil
1 lb Green olives
2 lg Spanish onions, diced
16 oz Stewed tomatoes, canned
1 ts Ginger, fresh grated
1 sm Carrot, peeled, sliced in
4 tb Celery, chopped, with leaves
2 lg Tomatoes, peeled and diced

Servings
INSTRUCTIONS
Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper; rub with garlic. In a heavy roasting pan, sear meat on all sides in a bit of olive oil. Remove and set aside. In same pot, add remaining olive oil, tumeric (or saffron), ginger, and onions. Saute until onions are limp. Add celery and carrots. Saute a bit more. Add tomatoes and mix. Remove 1/3 of the mixture and placed seared meat on the remainder. Cover with the rest of the mixture. Cover, and bake in pr-heated over at 350 degrees F untill meat is tender about 3 hours). Remove, and refrigerate. In the meantime, pit the olives. Place olives in a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Drain, and repeat the process. (to remove saltiness of the olives). Remove brisket from refrigetator. Remove any fat that may have collected. Slice the meat against the grain. Return meat to a heavy pot with the mixture. Sprinkle the olives over the meat. Reheat at 350 deg F for 1/2 hour, and serve.

JSR22 12-17-2018 04:34 PM

Last week Fresh Market had prime brisket on sale. I have bought it before and it was excellent.

thelegges 12-17-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinball wizard (Post 1608376)
How about a great brisket recipe??

That recipe will have to be peeled from cold dead hands of many a Bubbe

ckcapaul 12-17-2018 09:26 PM

1.) The night before, trim away any silver skin or extremely excess fat.
2.) Place the brisket in a roasting pan the night before and pour a two liter bottle of Dr. Pepper over it so that it is almost completely submerged.
3.) In the morning, take the brisket out of the roasting pan. Lightly pat with a few paper towels to reduce some of the moisture, but leave some so that the rub sticks.
4.) Liberally rub down the brisket with the brisket rub
5.) Allow the brisket to rest with the rub applied for one hour
6.) While brisket is resting with the rub on it, start your smoker and get a good smoke going
7.) Place brisket in the smoker at about 200 degrees (allow for 4 to 5 hours of smoke)
8.) Wrap the brisket in foil (I cover it twice with foil so no juices get out)
9.) Place the brisket back in the smoker until it reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees (you may need to adjust the heat of your smoker in order to acquire this temperature)
10.) While the brisket is cooking while wrapped in foil, place a bunch of old towels in a large cooler
11.) Once the brisket has reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees, take it out of the smoker
12.) Over a pan, poke a hole in the foil and drain all of the juices into it
13.) Once the juices have been completely drained from the hole, wrap the brisket back up in foil so it is completely sealed once again
14.) Place the foil wrapped brisket into the cooler of towels (completely surround the brisket with towels) for 2 hours
15.) Drain the juices from the pan with a funnel into a bottle of barbecue sauce that is only about 1/8 full
16.) Shake the juices and the BBQ sauce and set aside (shake every so often so the fats don't harden)
17.) After the brisket has rested for two hours, place it on a larger carving board (leave the foil on)
18.) Shake the BBQ sauce container again and pour into a sauce pan. Bring the contents to a rolling boil while stirring
19.) Unwrap the brisket, discard the foil and slowly pour the BBQ sauce/Brisket juice mixture over the brisket
20.) Carve against the grain and enjoy!