Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Sad, sad, sad... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/sad-sad-sad-280228/)

sunburn 12-18-2018 11:14 PM

Sad, sad, sad...
 
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.

retiredguy123 12-19-2018 05:24 AM

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the times. I excelled at math and engineering. Hated history and had no appreciation for it. I would have been more concerned about her getting my food order correct.

Topspinmo 12-19-2018 09:13 AM

Why was the manager involved? You may of created bad employee in eyes of the management. All for what? So, she didn’t know at least she working And trying. I agree with retired guy more interested in my food at drive through than chitchat. As an older male you better be careful talking younger strangers in this day and age.

manaboutown 12-19-2018 09:24 AM

It is sad so many are clueless about what happens in the world.

graciegirl 12-19-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry C (Post 1608896)
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.

We are not all born with the same ability to absorb information but we are all born valuable.

I taught for decades and wouldn't have asked a kid at McDonalds an academic question. Not because I think kids who work at McDonalds are dumb, it just seems inappropriate. Both our girls worked at McDonalds

I am sure you were just making conversation and enjoy young people. Please don't be disappointed, further conversation might have revealed she was very aware of other valuable and pertinent information, and maybe not. .

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 12-19-2018 09:32 AM

A Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight, once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too."

Chi-Town 12-19-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry C (Post 1608896)
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.



I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."



Huh?



It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.

All you did was slow down the line. You're better off doing your surveys at the mall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bogie Shooter 12-19-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1608901)
I'm not sure it has anything to do with the times. I excelled at math and engineering. Hated history and had no appreciation for it. I would have been more concerned about her getting my food order correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1608944)
Why was the manager involved? You may of created bad employee in eyes of the management. All for what? So, she didn’t know at least she working And trying. I agree with retired guy more interested in my food at drive through than chitchat. As an older male you better be careful talking younger strangers in this day and age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1608958)
All you did was slow down the line. You're better off doing your surveys at the mall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

:boom: such a friendly crew...…………….

BK001 12-19-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1608952)
A Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight, once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too."

So true. I started my career in the employment agency business. I remember being enthused and telling my boss "I have a great candidate". He asked what makes her great and I said "college grad, top marks in school, bright, articulate, attractive - definitely someone with a future". He said "so set her up on some interviews". When I said I couldn't because the open jobs I had were beneath her level - he wisely said: "Well then she is not a great candidate -- the "great candidate" is the one for whom you have a job. Remember there are A jobs for A candidates, B jobs for B candidates and C jobs for C candidates." Your job is to make sure you make the right match. If you only have a C job, the A applicant is no longer great -- it will be the C candidate that will be your best.

A really wise boss, I learned so much from that man on so many levels. And I went on to earn a boatload of money in commissions.

DeanFL 12-19-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1608974)
:boom: such a friendly crew...…………….



BS,
I was thinking the same about these responses... and some may wonder why postings are down or people may be 'shy' to share their thoughts.... :cus::cus::cus:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Content, Design and Layout may not be reproduced
Copywrite 2006-2017 This site is owned and operated by TalkofTheVillages.com and is not affliated with the The Villages or The Villages development company.