Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Ford Navigation System No Updates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ford-navigation-system-no-updates-280719/)

retiredguy123 12-27-2018 03:04 PM

Ford Navigation System No Updates

I purchased a 2017 Ford Escape in April 2017 with a built-in navigation system. Now, almost 2 years later, and Ford has never offered any updates. I still cannot even enter my own address, but have to use Walgreens as my home. Is anyone else irritated with Ford about this? I just talked with Ford's customer service, and all the lady could say was "I'm sorry". Navigation is an expensive option on a new car, but, if they never update it, why pay for it? Do other car makers treat customers the same way?

JGVillages 12-27-2018 03:40 PM

If you have a smart phone use Google Maps. FREE app with FREE updates constantly. Even gives traffic reports and alternate routes. Many newer cars have Apple or Android Car Play which sends Google Maps to your car screen. Fairly sure the 2017 Escape has it. I have it and use nothing else. Check it out.

retiredguy123 12-27-2018 03:50 PM

I understand that there are other navigation systems, but I bought a car with a built-in navigation system, which is very convenient. The dealers tell you that updates are provided for free. The problem is that Ford has not provided any updates, free or otherwise.

Villageswimmer 12-27-2018 05:05 PM

We had a Honda CRV with Nav. Seemed to have lots of errors built in and we ended up using Google maps or Waze for good information. Pretty poor considering it cost about $2000 for the option. When we traded it in, we opted for no Nav.

sirknor 12-27-2018 05:21 PM

Nav systems are out of date. Everyone uses their phone. Always up to date. Don,t waste your money.

Two Bills 12-27-2018 06:14 PM

I bought a very expensive German navigation system.
The only problem with it was all journeys started and went through Poland first!

oot 12-27-2018 07:27 PM

We have the same problem with Ford's system as well. Wrote to corporate with no response. I also paid extra and feel it was not worth the money. Love my Ford, but will never again pay extra for something that just does not work. I use my Google maps on my phone....that works great.

ColdNoMore 12-27-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1611001)
I bought a very expensive German navigation system.

The only problem with it was all journeys started and went through Poland first!

Google Maps in the past...wasn't always perfect. :D

Take A Kayak

Quote:

So when you try to get driving directions from USA to Japan, Google Maps suggests that you have to take a Kayak across the sea to cover over 2500 miles distance!

billethkid 12-27-2018 07:48 PM

We have custom nav in our Tahoe.
Google maps and Waze puts it to shame to the point we do not use the GM nav system at all.

Yhe next vehicle we buy will not have a nav system but will be compatible with Car Play.....using iphone as the brains.

Built in nav systems are now dinosaurs....that are dark ages technology.

raisingJB 12-27-2018 07:54 PM

Navigation system

I am a Villager want-to-be who reads TOTV to learn the ins and outs of what I hope is a future home. Anyway, I own 2 Subaru's (2014&2018) which both have navigation systems. I believe the update process is terrible and the guidance system is barely better.

I have found the best way to navigate is to use WAZE on my Iphone and stream the instructions to my hearing aids. I program the car navigation but turn off the volume because I like the big screen but just ignore anything it has to say.

I would not buy the car navigation system except that I want the backup camera and if I wanted the camera I was stuck with the navigation system.

Nucky 12-27-2018 08:31 PM

Ask for Mrs Jay at Village Ford in Bellview. Tippy Top Fantastic Phenomenal Service. Old School Service. For me it was. I have a whole lot of animal magnetism though, lol, good luck. You will be offered a resolution.

You’re better off with Google Maps IMHO.

retiredguy123 12-27-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1611023)
Ask for Mrs Jay at Village Ford in Bellview. Tippy Top Fantastic Phenomenal Service. Old School Service. For me it was. I have a whole lot of animal magnetism though, lol, good luck. You will be offered a resolution.

You’re better off with Google Maps IMHO.

Been there, done that. Mrs. Jay is good, but she has no resolution for my Ford navigation system.

Two Bills 12-27-2018 08:45 PM

Ford/Mercury | HERE

retiredguy123 12-27-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1611028)

Thanks, but that site will charge you $150 for a navigation update on a 2015 or older vehicle. But, there are no updates for the 2016 and later models. Who would pay $150 to get a 4 year old navigation "update"?

New Englander 12-28-2018 10:09 AM

Am the only one who uses a Garmin Nuvi?