Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   All About Beef (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/all-about-beef-280728/)

refeik 12-27-2018 07:27 PM

All About Beef

Recently we picked up four steaks at one of our local stores. The per pound price was very reasonable and the T Bones were a beautiful cut of meat. Christmas day I fired up the grill and cooked those beauties. The steaks were slightly tough but more important the steaks had virtually no taste no flavor at all. What could have been the problem ??

Fredman 12-27-2018 09:52 PM

Not enough fat?

Kenswing 12-27-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1611043)
Not enough fat?

That's what I was thinking. Too lean of cut.

Not enough seasoning.

Or you stabbed it with a fork to turn it.

Didn't let it rest after cooking and all the juices ran out when you cut it.

Over cooked.

Chi-Town 12-27-2018 11:19 PM

Cook steaks on high flipping them once (no fork).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BK001 12-27-2018 11:32 PM

Road Kill? :1rotfl: :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

affald 12-28-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1611007)
Recently we picked up four steaks at one of our local stores. The per pound price was very reasonable and the T Bones were a beautiful cut of meat. Christmas day I fired up the grill and cooked those beauties. The steaks were slightly tough but more important the steaks had virtually no taste no flavor at all. What could have been the problem ??

When you say "beautiful".... was it choice or prime? IMO select cuts are not very good. I dont think Supermarkets sell prime. I think Sams does.

Lately I really like sous vide steak cooking followed by a torch.

Like previously stated there are many ways not to cook or handle a steak.

Also, tbones are often thin. Try porterhouse, thicker. Both steaks include a "T"-shaped bone with meat on each side. ...Porterhouse steaks are even more highly valued owing to their larger tenderloin.

What's the Difference Between a Porterhouse and a T-bone Steak? - Beef2Live | Eat Beef * Live Better

Darreniv 12-28-2018 08:08 AM

You overcooked them and dried them out.

Madelaine Amee 12-28-2018 09:28 AM

I recall that several years ago we bought some steaks at Wallyworld and they were absolutely tasteless, they were cooked to med/rare and looked wonderful, but they were tasteless, almost like eating fibre - not that I have ever eaten fibre :). Get my steaks from different source since then. Sam's and Fresh Market are excellent.

graciegirl 12-28-2018 10:02 AM

Wow. You buy steaks? I stop by to admire them when I pick up our Christmas Chuck Roast, cooked at 250 for several hours in a tightly lidded Dutch Oven IN the OVEN....with Lipton Onion Soup mix on top and a little water.

Yum.

I say YUM!!!!

JSR22 12-28-2018 10:11 AM

Steaks

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1611007)

The best grade is prime and they have a lot of marbelling. Be careful not to overcook. I do not put salt on my steaks prior to cooking because I think it dries the meat.

graciegirl 12-28-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1611117)
The best grade is prime and they have a lot of marbelling. Be careful not to overcook. I do not put salt on my steaks prior to cooking because I think it dries the meat.

But no vegetables at all? How about baked potato?

rivaridger1 12-28-2018 11:36 AM

It used to be you could go to restaurant and order a steak " Pittsburg Rare ". Highly seasoned and seared black on the outside and blood rare in the middle. I loved them that way, but the restaurant needed the right gas grille to produce the heat to cook them in that manner. Put a 500 degree Russet Potato next to it with butter, sour cream, chives and crumpled bacon; together with fresh steamed spinach and you were eating like a king. Beef, in my opinion needs to be either cooked rare to medium rare; or braised/stewed until falling apart to have a good flavor.

JSR22 12-28-2018 11:38 AM

I love Pittsburgh. Only eat beef rare never braised/stewed. I am a beef eater!

Mikeod 12-28-2018 12:51 PM

Yup. Sous vide. Finish steaks in a red hot cast iron skillet. I did a bone-in prime rib for Christmas that way, but finished it on the grill at 500 degrees. Yum.

Bay Kid 12-29-2018 05:43 AM

A few years back I bought some beautiful (cheap) steaks. Looked great, even cooked great. Terrible! They were sold at our local stores and were from another country.