Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Special meal on New Years day for good luck? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/special-meal-new-years-day-good-luck-280850/)

graciegirl 12-29-2018 06:08 PM

Special meal on New Years day for good luck?

We have always had pork and sauerkraut on New Years day and were both told by our families it was good luck to eat it.

Do you have something that is traditional to eat on New Years?

tophcfa 12-29-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1611438)
We have always had pork and sauerkraut on New Years day and were both told by our families it was good luck to eat it.

Do you have something that is traditional to eat on New Years?

We always have Alaskan King Crab as our main course, along with a good salid. It's our tradition, expensive, but delicious. Happy New Years!

JSR22 12-29-2018 08:54 PM

Shrimp cocktail and prime rib.

DonH57 12-30-2018 12:34 AM

Eggnog with spiced rum for eye opener. Pork chops for the breakfast meat. Black eyed peas as a dinner vegetable at least.

Nucky 12-30-2018 12:42 AM

I usually eat anything that isn't nailed down. New Year's Eve we have Must Goes. The items that must go before the ritual of promising to change our eating habits.

graciegirl 12-30-2018 04:40 AM

I thought we would have a little regionalism.

One black eyed peas and one pork and sauerkraut and one crab.

retiredguy123 12-30-2018 07:31 AM

Pickled herring.

graciegirl 12-30-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1611523)
Pickled herring.

We ate creamed herring on New Years day.

jblum315 12-30-2018 08:11 AM

Russian salad (salat Olivier) traditional Russian potato salad with poached chicken, cucumbers, pickles and mayo (and potatoes of course) served with vodka

askcarl 12-31-2018 07:58 AM

Southern. Ribs, cornbread and black eyed peas for good luck.

erojohn 12-31-2018 08:24 AM

Nothing in particular. I have some native Hawian friends that have Traditionally always had fish. Reason a fish always swims forward thus forward to the new year.

Jeanner 12-31-2018 08:56 AM

I'm from the South & always have pork, black eyed peas & collards on New Year's Day. The black eyed peas represents coins, the collards green backs (paper money) & I think the pork is for health or good luck. Not sure that it works but I'm not going to take any chances by not doing it. Happy New Year!

Jean Zeman
Village of Del Mar

VillageIdiots 12-31-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanner (Post 1611852)
I'm from the South & always have pork, black eyed peas & collards on New Year's Day. The black eyed peas represents coins, the collards green backs (paper money) & I think the pork is for health or good luck. Not sure that it works but I'm not going to take any chances by not doing it. Happy New Year!

Jean Zeman
Village of Del Mar

Also from the south and we've always had pork, black eyed peas, and collards also. I was never sure what the pork was for, but it was always said that the collards (green) represented money and the peas were for luck. This was always on New Year's day, not eve.

This year, I came across the kiosk in Publix where they cook and hand out samples and they were making something called "Lucky Pork and Beans". It is sort of like a chili that contains slow cooked pork butt roast, black eyes peas, and instead of collards, it has a premixed kale salad kit mixed in it. There are some other ingredients as well, but it was very good and I will be making some tomorrow.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-31-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanner (Post 1611852)

Jean Zeman
Village of Del Mar

Ditto with pepper sauce on the greens, chow chow on the peas, and some cornbread.

Two Bills 12-31-2018 10:23 AM

I just get drunk!. Very old family tradition at New Year, dates back centuries!