Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Vietnamese Cuisine (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/vietnamese-cuisine-280859/)

rivaridger1 12-30-2018 03:17 AM

Vietnamese Cuisine

I really enjoy this food and in particular a good bowl of Pho. I see a new Vietnamese restaurant will soon be opening on 301 at the SE corner of 466. Does anyone know anything about the owners and their experience in the restaurant business ?

Bill32 12-30-2018 10:04 AM

I don't know anything about it but i'm in when it opens...!

New Englander 12-30-2018 10:34 AM

I hope they make a good Ho Chi Minh stew.

graciegirl 12-30-2018 11:43 AM

Are Pot Stickers Vietnamese? I love them.

You can get good ones frozen at Publix.

pauld315 12-30-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1611602)

Pot stickers are usually found at Chinese restaurants. Here is a link to a good representation of a menu at a Vietnamese restaurant.

Menus for Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant - Saint Petersburg - SinglePlatform

thelegges 12-30-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1611602)

Better know a spring rolls, in Vietnamese homes

graciegirl 12-30-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1611636)
Better know a spring rolls, in Vietnamese homes

I think of spring rolls as another separate thing from pot stickers.

The reason I ask is that the first time I had pot stickers was when we were invited to a celebration by a Vietnamese couple, they served pot stickers.

Pot stickers are kind of wet and sticky and usually have pork inside and spring rolls usually have chicken or vegetables and they are dry on the outside, or at least that is what I have always thought and I am no expert on Asian food. I do like it, but I have to be careful because of my shellfish allergy. So I make it at home or buy it frozen so I can see what is in it.

thelegges 12-30-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1611638)

The reason I ask is that the first time I had pot stickers was when we were invited to a celebration by a Vietnamese couple, they served pot stickers.

Pot stickers are kind of wet and sticky and usually have pork inside and spring rolls usually have chicken or vegetables and they are dry on the outside, or at least that is what I have always thought and I am no expert on Asian food. I do like it, but I have to be careful because of my shellfish allergy. So I make it at home or buy it frozen so I can see what is in it.

We have off the boat Vietnamese in our family, her rolls have no meat, uses rice paper, and her kimchi will knock your socks off. She will only cook What has been passed on for generations. She refuses to add or change. Her Pho is the best I have had since Vietnam. her children all born in US only changes recipes when she is not in their house, but never adds meat to their rolls. That why I equate them to spring rolls. She has never made a pot sticker, rice paper would not allow, but In my head I can hear her saying why waste time, too little filling, just make right way, ROLLS

Aloha1 01-02-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1611669)
We have off the boat Vietnamese in our family, her rolls have no meat, uses rice paper, and her kimchi will knock your socks off. She will only cook What has been passed on for generations. She refuses to add or change. Her Pho is the best I have had since Vietnam. her children all born in US only changes recipes when she is not in their house, but never adds meat to their rolls. That why I equate them to spring rolls. She has never made a pot sticker, rice paper would not allow, but In my head I can hear her saying why waste time, too little filling, just make right way, ROLLS

Those sound like Summer Rolls. Rolled in rice paper with nothing but veggies inside, served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce,a touch of fish sauce and mirin ( sweet rice wine). That and a bowl of Chicken Pho equal Nirvana.

Aloha1 01-02-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1611638)

Gracie; Sam's Club has a box of easy to make Chicken Potstickers from Ajinimoto in the freezer section. 5 trays of 12 rolls plus dipping sauce. Last for months in your freezer. All self contained, just open the package, put it in a skillet and cook them for about 12 minutes. Left overs can be eaten the next day or 2.

Henryk 01-02-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1611669)

Love kimchi. Do you have a recipe to share?

retiredguy123 01-02-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1612641)
Love kimchi. Do you have a recipe to share?

Don't you have to bury cabbage in the ground to make real kimchi? Better to just buy it in a jar at the grocery store.

Henryk 01-03-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1612654)
Don't you have to bury cabbage in the ground to make real kimchi? Better to just buy it in a jar at the grocery store.

You don’t have to bury it, although that can happen in areas with severe cold. Often it is put on the roof of the home.

I have made it several times myself and it is much better than the store bought variety—though I have had that, too. The store brands I find are either miid or medium spicy, which is to say no spice. Maybe since we just started “winter,” I should make a batch. It does take time to ferment however.

graciegirl 01-03-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1612960)
You don’t have to bury it, although that can happen in areas with severe cold. Often it is put on the roof of the home.

I have made it several times myself and it is much better than the store bought variety—though I have had that, too. The store brands I find are either miid or medium spicy, which is to say no spice. Maybe since we just started “winter,” I should make a batch. It does take time to ferment however.

It is fermented cabbage, sort of like sauerkraut with hot sauce?

Gpsma 01-03-2019 07:13 PM

Go to any china town area in a major city and ask for “potstickers”...lol

They are called dumplings!