Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Driving to Fenney and points south (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/driving-fenney-points-south-281054/)

coffeebean 01-01-2019 03:10 PM

Driving to Fenney and points south

Hubby and I took a nice drive to Fenney, Desoto and McClure area. We walked along the nature trail which was lovely. Within The Villages is just lovely down there.

Having said that, driving to and from points south on 468/Morse Blvd, there is still quite a bit of local housing that looks like Tobacco Road. Not very nice to have to drive through. In fact, there was one home owner who was burning some sort of trash that made an awful stench in the area, not to mention eye watering fumes and billows of smoke. It was just awful. There are Villages homes very close to that back yard "bonfire" when we drove on 468. I wouldn't want to live in close proximity to those non Villages homes.

Please don't take this as bashing of the southern areas of The Villages. Just an observation that is most evident to anyone who drives there.

justjim 01-01-2019 03:33 PM

OP, You are correct in your analysis of the area you speak. I’m surprised that the Village Developer didn’t make an offer these homeowners couldn’t refuse. I observed that a number of these properties have a for sale sign in their front yard. Of course, “It ain’t over till it’s over.” Yogi Berra

photo1902 01-01-2019 03:41 PM

As a Village resident (Lake Deaton) I can assure you that The Villages has done (and will continue) to do their fair share of burning shrubs, trees, etc, while clearing land to be developed. My guess is the smoke and odor far surpassed that done by the remaining homeowners along 468.

vintageogauge 01-01-2019 04:13 PM

Those homes are all zoned commercial and most if not all have for sale signs, some are now vacant, and a few have been sold just recently. They won't be sold as residential lots and will most likely end up being little commercial strips such as the ones found all around the perimeters of TV with things like nail salons, insurance companies, various retail or commercial small businesses, some of the larger lots may host something even better like an urgent care. Since 468 is going to be 4 lanes all the way down now, those lots would not have been suitable for residential homes. I don't know if you noticed but The Villages Golf Cars has a storefront on 468 now, it's on the North Side in the same building as State Farm Insurance. None of us living down here like those homes that are in desperate need of repair but they were here first and I'm sure had an opportunity to sell before the building plans were finalized. They will most likely get more for their properties than were originally offered by TV now that small commercial developers know what is going on down here.

mscocco 01-01-2019 04:23 PM

What about the small cemetery along 468? Plans to keep it there and build around it or relocate it?

thelegges 01-01-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscocco (Post 1612304)
What about the small cemetery along 468? Plans to keep it there and build around it or relocate it?

That would not be the only cemetery on TV grounds. Look at the cemetery as very quiet neighborhoods with the occasional gathering

NotGolfer 01-01-2019 04:45 PM

There is a cemetery (hidden by trees etc) next to the Caroline Pool/ Mailbox area that was perserved. Little known fact to many Villagers.

vintageogauge 01-01-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1612315)
There is a cemetery (hidden by trees etc) next to the Caroline Pool/ Mailbox area that was perserved. Little known fact to many Villagers.

We once were interested in buying the house right in front of that Caroline cemetery, my wife ended that thought. Can't remember the price but it was a great deal compared to similar and all of them back there sold. I don't believe cemeteries can be moved and most people are not concerned about them. There is also a large church on 468 that will be in the midst of things.

retiredguy123 01-01-2019 06:16 PM

My problem with Fenney is that it is too far from shopping and restaurants. I live near Colony Plaza, and I still put about 30 miles per day on my car. If I lived in Fenney, I think my mileage would double. It would be about a 20 mile drive just to get to Home Depot.

ColdNoMore 01-01-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1612315)

How many dead people are buried in that particular cemetery?

(Old joke...LOL)

retiredguy123 01-01-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1612342)

(Old joke...LOL)

All of them.

vintageogauge 01-01-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1612340)
My problem with Fenney is that it is too far from shopping and restaurants. I live near Colony Plaza, and I still put about 30 miles per day on my car. If I lived in Fenney, I think my mileage would double. It would be about a 20 mile drive just to get to Home Depot.

It's exactly 7.5 miles from my home in Fenney to the new Lowes so no need to go to Home Depot until they build one down here. We are 10 minutes from Paddock Square, less than 10 minutes to Publix and fuel, 15 minutes to the Leesburg Hospital and Leesburg shopping and very near the Turnpike and I-75 ramps. The stores will come as the homes are sold, they have already started the plazas down here. For now it's no different than what most of us had to go through in our out of state homes before moving here.

BobnBev 01-01-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1612342)

(Old joke...LOL)

All of them.

Fredman 01-01-2019 08:38 PM

All of them

justjim 01-01-2019 09:04 PM

A commercial plaza including a Publix will soon be built for residents south of 44. Also a championship golf course. It’s fun to watch this area grow.