Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Where on this website can I find an actual recommendation for a veterinarian? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/where-website-can-i-find-actual-recommendation-veterinarian-281115/)

TonysMom 01-02-2019 10:23 AM

Where on this website can I find an actual recommendation for a veterinarian?

I am new at using this site and I'd like to find a compassionate veterinarian that is reasonably priced?
I have clicked around a bit but either only see advertisements or else I see other types of health care, not for my two little poodles.

Maybe I need to go outside the villages? Thank you for any recommendations you can share.

lanabanana73 01-02-2019 10:26 AM

"ALL ABOUT PETS" ..... Do a search for "vet"

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...bout-pets-120/

JSR22 01-02-2019 10:40 AM

I am 100% satisfied with Buffalo Ridge. They are the only animal hospital open 24 by 7 with a vet always on site. They board and there is an on site groomer.
They are not the cheapest but I would not go any where else.

jebartle 01-02-2019 10:58 AM

I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Huff in Leesburg. Village vets are OVER PRICED!
Example, cost of tooth removal in Villages $750, Dr. Huff, $256, great staff, not long wait and very friendly staff. Tell them Moses sent you!!!

BK001 01-02-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1612534)

We too used Dr. Huff -- far more reasonable.

redwitch 01-02-2019 11:12 AM

My bridge partner is a retired vet. He’s subbed for most of the vets here, including Buffalo Ridge, Paws and The Villages Vet. There are are two he recommends. Dr. Valdez at Park Heights in Fruitland Park and Dr. Porter in Wildwood.

Nucky 01-02-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1612539)
We too used Dr. Huff -- far more reasonable.

We also use Dr. Huff and we're thinking about bringing our new Pup to him once we find the one who needs us most. Almost there. Sorry.

graciegirl 01-02-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1612534)

I so agree and they try to sell up using your love for your pet and try to get you to feel guilty for not paying for overpriced and very iffy treatment. We have gone to three here and they all use the same methods.

Madelaine Amee 01-02-2019 11:40 AM

Our beloved Samantha is gone several years ago, but boy was she expensive. Every visit to the vet was in $hundreds.

However, I have heard that the vet in Wildwood is excellent and very reasonably priced.

Bonnevie 01-02-2019 04:51 PM

Animal Care Clinic of Wildwood. Dr. Timothy Porter. (352) 748-6348.

I had a lot of problems with the treatment given by Buffalo Ridge. If I needed an ER I would go to Leesburg animal ER.

Dr. Porter is by himself so you always see him. His office isn't fancy but he's a seasoned vet who has years of clinical experience. His staff are the same since I've been going to him unlike a lot of places. He will not try to do anything you don't need. He's very caring and compassionate.

I have sent many people to him and all have loved him.

He's in a strip mall in Wildwood where the post ofc. and Ace Hardware are.

villagetinker 01-03-2019 10:25 AM

Another vote for Animal Care Clinic of Wildwood. Dr. Timothy Porter. Our sons cat has a thyroid condition, and when the liquid medicine required 2 people to give the cat, he was able to recommend an alternative that gets applied to the inside of the ear, and the results were great. He now has a very healthy cat.

Trayderjoe 01-03-2019 06:08 PM

Another recommendation for Dr. Porter

We went to Dr. Porter based upon recommendations on this board and have been very happy with him. His rates are excellent and his care is great. As others have said, he has a small office in a strip mall, but he has a wealth of knowledge which I find more important than paying for a lush office with higher vet fees.

Brawnwy123 01-04-2019 05:45 PM

For a VET ??

[QUOTE=TonysMom;1612523]I am new at using this site and I'd like to find a compassionate veterinarian that is reasonably priced?
I have clicked around a bit but either only see advertisements or else I see other types of health care, not for my two little poodles.

Hi, just a thought. The pet-smart store, new one that is close to Olive Garden restaurant area, may know because they are into the pet items for sure. Give them a call.

:bigbow:

TonysMom 01-07-2019 06:17 PM

Thanks for Recommendations. Any others? LOL

Thanks to all of you who offered recommendations.

A neighbor had just told me she tried a vet in Wildwood in a strip mall and his place was horrible and he was just as expensive.

Guess she is wrong? I went to Colony and loved the vet but it was really costly, tests done I am not sure were needed.

Trayderjoe 01-07-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonysMom (Post 1614169)
Thanks to all of you who offered recommendations.

A neighbor had just told me she tried a vet in Wildwood in a strip mall and his place was horrible and he was just as expensive.

Guess she is wrong? I went to Colony and loved the vet but it was really costly, tests done I am not sure were needed.

Assuming your neighbor was in fact talking about Dr. Porter, maybe your neighbor doesn't care for the small, plain "digs" at his office? The waiting area is very small (2 or 3 chairs) and nondescript. The exam rooms are functional but "pedestrian". As to costs, my vet in Michigan charged a LOT more than Dr. Porter has charged me for similar services. I would rather pay him for his experience than to subsidize a larger practice with more "ambiance" that neither I or my dogs really care about. I can't speak to the charges of other vets here (my searches before I moved here full time seemed to indicate that many were higher), but comparing to my old vet, I am far ahead of the game. More importantly, IMHO, my dogs are well treated and cared for by Dr. Porter.

Good luck with your search and transition to a new vet.