Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/anyone-know-how-outside-faucet-connected-plumbing-281257/)

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 03:45 PM

Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

There is also some sort of thing that seems to be threaded onto the spout. If I could remove that I might not need to replace it as it is leaking around it but nothing I do can get that off so it seems to be part of it. That is where the slow leak is.

https://i.ibb.co/y8SDPQK/2019-01-03-14-05-50.jpg

graciegirl 01-03-2019 03:50 PM

Call Warranty and ask them.

Mleeja 01-03-2019 03:57 PM

I’d call Mike Scott Plumbing and let the professionals handle it.

Rapscallion St Croix 01-03-2019 03:59 PM

I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.

retiredguy123 01-03-2019 04:09 PM

The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1612924)

Fuggetaboutit! :) I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1612935)
The thing you have circled is a vacuum breaker that is required by the plumbing code. It prevents water from backing up into the house and contaminating the water. It is designed to not be removable. It is held on to the hose bibb with a set screw that cannot be unscrewed. But, you can remove the vacuum breaker by cutting it off with a Dremel cutting tool. If you want to try it, there are Youtube videos that will show you how. Personally, I would not attempt to replace the entire hose bibb, because I doubt that it is just screwed on. It is probably glued on. Better to just pay a plumber to replace it. I also recommend Mike Scott plumbing. Good luck.

Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber). :)

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1612926)
I can access the backside of one of mine through a panel in my garage.

Unfortunately mine isn't. Close but not close enough.

retiredguy123 01-03-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1612945)
Thanks. Good info (other than calling the plumber). :)

Good luck. I have never done it, but the Youtube videos make it look easy.

PaulDenise 01-03-2019 04:40 PM

Indeed the thing attached to the spigot is a siphon break. Usually there is a allen screw someplace that holds it in place and resists unscrewing it. I would look all around it for that screw and, if necessary, look at your other one or a neighbor's. They come off. However, to fix the faucet, you do not need to remove this thing. It can only leak if the faucet is leaking.

It appears to be leaking because the faucet is leaking. Turn your water main off first. Then remove the handle, then I would take a wrench and remove the valve stem. It is the nut shaped thing just under the handle. I suspect that your washer is bad and leaking. If it is not the washer, then you might see that the seat of the washer/ valve stem is cracked by looking down into it with a flashlight.

Take the washer and valve stem to Lowes, Home Depot, or similar and get a new washer.

Outside faucets are abused by turning them off with too much torque. This usually causes the washer to wear and cause a leak.

villagetinker 01-03-2019 04:51 PM

Just a word of caution, if you remove the 'vacuum breaker' and do not replace, you may in violation of the law if and when you decide to sell your house. As noted above, the repair or rebuild of a valve is easily done once the water is shut off. i have done this several time, and have never had to revmove the valve body. Even had to replace the valve seat twice, the valve body remained.

thetruth 01-03-2019 04:56 PM

My two cents worth

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;1612921]I guess it would be different depending on type of home. This is a wood frame built construction 10 yrs old in Amelia.

I'm pretty good at plumbing especially with CPVC pipe and I need to replace the outside hose bib. I removed the 4 screws marked with arrows. I am guessing the bib is connected to a cpvc to threaded adapter but don't want to twist it off and break it inside the wall. The bib seems to be attached (with sealant?) to that white block of whatever behind it. If I turn the bib with my hand the block moves so I am afraid I might break whatever water line is behind it..

Anyone ever take one of these off? Is it threaded to the cpvc? Replacing it is no problem if I can remove it.

You state it is Ten Years old. Our water quality is, well not so great. That brass spigot is probably not top quality. You may well find if you put a wrench on it and put some force on it that you will find it turns to dust.

Obviously, be sure you have a second valve on the inside that shuts just that spigot off. That was code in NY not sure if it is here. If, you need to shut off the entire house and you then get into trouble well been there done that. Not all but some of the people a Home Depo and Lowes truly know what they are doing.
You might also look at a neighbors home and see if it is the same as yours. If, you are not the original owner, it may have been an issue previously and someone glued the spigot on.

As to my suggestion that it may have been an issue previously, That extension threaded on to the valve looks like it is the wrong valve. The handle does not seem to be ten years old and it seems it is too close to the siding to be easy to use.

retiredguy123 01-03-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1612959)
Just a word of caution, if you remove the 'vacuum breaker' and do not replace, you may in violation of the law if and when you decide to sell your house. As noted above, the repair or rebuild of a valve is easily done once the water is shut off. i have done this several time, and have never had to revmove the valve body. Even had to replace the valve seat twice, the valve body remained.

If the vacuum breaker is causing the leak, you can cut it off and replace it with another vacuum breaker and still be legal. You can screw a new vacuum breaker on and not use the set screw. The problem with the set screw is that it is designed to be non-removable. So, when you screw it tight and then try to remove it, the top part will break off making it almost impossible to unscrew.

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1612959)

Law? Maybe a code. In any case It's not the valve. It's probably a cross thread on the vacuum breaker. Tried plumbers tape didn't help. Never had them up north. Don't intend on selling home until we are both pushing up daisies so I will let whoever inherits our home worry about calling the plumber assuming I don't replace it. I’m sure there are other “laws” that have been broken as well. :)

graciegirl 01-03-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1612924)

Sometimes Warranty will surprise you and have the original contractor check it out and possibly fix it.

Warranty has always been very nice to me, but I have never called up and raised hell either.

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1612948)
Good luck. I have never done it, but the Youtube videos make it look easy.

I found a video but the setscrew is probably on the bottom because I can't see it and of course the bibb is behind a couple large shrubs! Maybe I'll just break it off with a 20lb sledgehammer. :D

JUST KIDDING! (on the sledgehammer, a sawzall will probably work :D )

retiredguy123 01-03-2019 07:26 PM

Again, good luck. You may not need to cut the vacuum breaker where the set screw is located. If you make two cuts through the vacuum breaker, you can probably pry it off. Try not to damage the hose bibb threads.

Mikeod 01-03-2019 07:40 PM

It’s been a while, but last time I had a leak8ng hose bib, all I had to do was remove the handle and replace the washer at the bottom of the valve. Have they changed?

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1613017)
It’s been a while, but last time I had a leak8ng hose bib, all I had to do was remove the handle and replace the washer at the bottom of the valve. Have they changed?

As I mentioned in a couple previous posts it is not the washer, the stem or the valve. I am 100% sure of that.

There is probably a bad thread on the vacuum breaker because when the water is turned OFF there is no leak. When the water is turned ON it leaks from the vacuum breaker thread on the hose bibb. Yes, I often leave the water ON because I have a timer that waters an area so when the timer is OFF (and the valve is opened) I get a slow leak from the vacuum breaker thread.
From what I have been reading these "vacuum breakers" have a 5-10 year life expectancy and this is 10yrs old.

tophcfa 01-03-2019 08:37 PM

Had the same problem when we bought our house. The valve leaked and spewed water all over when being shut off. I just turned off the water, put a pair of channel lock pliers on the faulty fixture, and unscrewed it. Replaced it with a regular hose fixture that does not have that stupid vacuum breaker thing. I put plumbers tape and silicone on the pipe threads when installing the new hose fixture so there would not be any leaks. Never had a problem since. I was told I would have to put on one of those vacuum breaker things if I ever sold the house so it would pass inspection. I will deal with that if the time ever comes? The backwash issue into the water supply is ridiculous. First, the water pressure would have to go to zero, and second, a hose would have to be attached to the fixture where the hose was submerged in contaminated waste, and then back pressure would have to be initiated. That equation is just about impossible, and would never happen at my house since the hose is always either reeled up or totally disconnected. Now when I shut off my hose I no longer get soaked by the vacuum breaker, and no more leaks. All good.

pauld315 01-03-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1612942)
Fuggetaboutit! :) I called them for a HWH leak when we first moved in and didn't have the time. Hit me for over $200 for for that for 35 minutes and $5 in parts. I'll let it drip while on if I can't figure it out . In over 44 years in my home up north I never once called a plumber or electrician and that included lots of copper piping and major wiring I installed.

You obviously didn't live in the city I grew up in in upstate NY. You had to hire a union plumber or union electrician to do any work like that in your house and permits had to be pulled. There was ways around it as long as you didn't get caught.

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 10:00 PM

/// :)

stan the man 01-03-2019 11:20 PM

Is the outside faucet potable water?

EdFNJ 01-03-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1613073)
Is the outside faucet potable water?

Yes. Same water as in the house.

stan the man 01-04-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1613075)

Thanks......

photo1902 01-04-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1612942)

WHAT? You mean a professional, licensed and insured plumbing company didn't come out and fix it for free?

EdFNJ 01-04-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613120)
WHAT? You mean a professional, licensed and insured plumbing company didn't come out and fix it for free?

Huh? No idea what your point is or was. You are obviously missing mine.

New Englander 01-04-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1613075)

I thought the outside water was recycled water.

photo1902 01-04-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1613178)
I thought the outside water was recycled water.

No. It's not.

New Englander 01-04-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613180)
No. It's not.

So my sprinkler system uses recycled water but the outside spigot is potable water?

photo1902 01-04-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1613183)
So my sprinkler system uses recycled water but the outside spigot is potable water?

Depends on where in The Villages you live:

"North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water. South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available."

Regardless of where you live in TV, the outside spigot water is potable.

New Englander 01-04-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613186)
Depends on where in The Villages you live:

"North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water. South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available."

Regardless of where you live in TV, the outside spigot water is potable.

Okay thanks. I live in Pinellas. So I know that my sprinklers are using recycled water. I just assumed my outside spigot was the same. Now I know I was wrong.

photo1902 01-04-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1613210)
Okay thanks. I live in Pinellas. So I know that my sprinklers are using recycled water. I just assumed my outside spigot was the same. Now I know I was wrong.

No worries. Your question is a common one here, so now you know :)

villagetinker 01-04-2019 01:58 PM

EdFNJ,

Did you get your answer, and were yo able to fix your faucet without removing it?

EdFNJ 01-04-2019 02:10 PM

Well, to get this back ON TOPIC the issue was resolved. After removing the one screw on each side side of the bibb and breaking the putty seal with a screwdriver I took my right hand (I'm lefty but had to reach behind the shrubs) and twisted counterclockwise 3 turns and removed (and replaced) the hose bibb thereby saving a fully licensed, fully insured and highly trained(?) 30yr old kid to charge me probably $200 to do the same. That savings covered one of our tickets to see Hamilton in Orlando next month. :) PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in your plumbing abilities. I am now awaiting an appearance from the water police for not yet installing the vacuum breaker which I did purchase for $9 (does INTENT count?). Still deciding whether to do that or to let our kids be forced to do it when wife and I move on to the netherworld and they get the house. :)

EdFNJ 01-04-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1613219)
EdFNJ,

Did you get your answer, and were yo able to fix your faucet without removing it?

Thank you, yes but it was much easier to remove and replace the bibb then to have to start cutting off the VB. See message right before this.

photo1902 01-04-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1613224)
Well, to get this back ON TOPIC the issue was resolved. After removing the one screw on each side side of the bibb and breaking the putty seal with a screwdriver I took my right hand (I'm lefty but had to reach behind the shrubs) and twisted counterclockwise 3 turns and removed (and replaced) the hose bibb thereby saving a fully licensed, fully insured and highly trained(?) 30yr old kid to charge me probably $200 to do the same. That savings covered one of our tickets to see Hamilton in Orlando next month. :) PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONFIDENCE in your plumbing abilities. I am now awaiting an appearance from the water police for not yet installing the vacuum breaker which I did purchase for $9 (does INTENT count?). Still deciding whether to do that or to let our kids be forced to do it when wife and I move on to the netherworld and they get the house. :)

Vacuum Breakers are required by code, and help protect the integrity of the water supply. Not just for you, but for your neighbors. So while you revel in your repair, keep in mind there are requirements and safeguards put in place. This is why people who aren't familiar with plumbing requirements should leave those jobs to professionals, and or at least research a repair project. And my earlier comment about hiring a professional was not just for you, but for everyone who balks at paying for a professional to do the job. I recall a post not that long ago about a resident here who had a neighbor replace a breaker in his main panel because he didn't want to pay an electrician.

EdFNJ 01-04-2019 02:25 PM

Anyone know how outside faucet is connected to plumbing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1613230)
Vacuum Breakers are required by code, and help protect the integrity of the water supply. Not just for you, but for your neighbors. So while you revel in your repair, keep in mind there are requirements and safeguards put in place. This is why people who aren't familiar with plumbing requirements should leave those jobs to professionals, and or at least research a repair project. And my earlier comment about hiring a professional was not just for you, but for everyone who balks at paying for a professional to do the job. I recall a post not that long ago about a resident here who had a neighbor replace a breaker in his main panel because he didn't want to pay an electrician.

That's blasphemous! Ok, did the homeowners home burn down? I've installed an entire new electrical panel . I've also done gas plumbing, water plumbing and a lot of electrical work in my home up north and IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT (breaker) PROPERLY do you think you should pay an electrician to do it?

I would never do anything like that for a neighbor for many reasons but for myself? Of course IF I am knowledgeable.

retiredguy123 01-04-2019 02:38 PM

If you install a vacuum breaker, I think it will work fine by either removing or not tightening the set screw. You can always install it later. But, once you tighten the set screw, you will not be able to remove it because it is designed as a tamperproof device. You may also be able to find a non-tamperproof set screw that could be removed to replace the vacuum breaker.

photo1902 01-04-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1613236)
If you install a vacuum breaker, I think it will work fine by either removing or not tightening the set screw. You can always install it later. But, once you tighten the set screw, you will not be able to remove it because it is designed as a tamperproof device. You may also be able to find a non-tamperproof set screw that could be removed to replace the vacuum breaker.

Easiest way to remove a defective one (before replacing with a new one) is to use a small rotary tool such as a Dremel tool. Cut above and below the set screw, pry off the middle, and unscrew.