Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Are there Marlins in Lake Sumter? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/there-marlins-lake-sumter-281451/)

Cisco Kid 01-05-2019 01:41 PM

Are there Marlins in Lake Sumter?

I looked up the price of the two hour guided fishing trip, and it was 250 bucks. That seems like a couple of bucks high, unless I can catch a marlin.

Kenswing 01-05-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1613476)
I looked up the price of the two hour guided fishing trip, and it was 250 bucks. That seems like a couple of bucks high, unless I can catch a marlin.

For that price there had better be some bluefin tuna. lol

Brawnwy123 01-05-2019 02:06 PM

Fishing here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 1613476)

WOW :bigbow:
Well, just a couple of comments:
1. Sales person harped about all the fish in the Lake, yep, lots of fish. And trusty sales person said, yes you can fish here.
2. Sales person from the Villages, did not tell us there was no fishing allowed by homeowners
3. Fishing now is catch and release, and $250, Ugh, Ugh
4. If a person needs to have a guide in fresh water fishing, then perhaps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE?

:MOJE_whot: :ohdear:

CWGUY 01-05-2019 02:56 PM

:ohdear: OK here's a novel idea..... let's look at the positive side of this.

If 4 people don't have a boat and don't have any fishing gear and really want to fish in Lake Sumter from a boat then this is a good deal. And for the people that don't know what they are doing a Guide would come in very handy.

:ohdear: But do you want to know what the best part is? NOBODY is going to put a gun to your head and make you pay $250.00 to fish there if you don't want too! :coolsmiley:

JSR22 01-05-2019 02:59 PM

My husband has gone fishing on Lake Sumter twice. The cost is $250 for the boat. He goes with 3 other people and it runs around $65 a person for several hours. Two weeks ago the group caught over 40 fish including the record Bass of 9lbs 15oz. It is huge! He is going again in March when my nephew visits.

CWGUY 01-05-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1613499)
My husband has gone fishing on Lake Sumter twice. The cost is $250 for the boat. He goes with 3 other people and it runs around $65 a person for several hours. Two weeks the group caught over 40 fish including the record Bass of 9lbs 15oz. It is huge! He is going again in March when my nephew visits.

:coolsmiley:

Rapscallion St Croix 01-05-2019 04:49 PM

Early in my military career, I had an additional duty as a fishing guide on the USAF owned part of Matagorda Island, Texas. My job was to make sure Senators and Generals caught fish. Easiest job in the world. I would go out to a spot about an hour before the scheduled outing and drop in a couple of cans of catfood that I had poked holes in. Take the brass back to that same spot and reel 'em in. Made some valuable contacts during that 18 months.

Cisco Kid 01-05-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

My husband has gone fishing on Lake Sumter twice. The cost is $250 for the boat. He goes with 3 other people and it runs around $65 a person for several hours. Two weeks ago the group caught over 40 fish including the record Bass of 9lbs 15oz. It is huge! He is going again in March when my nephew visits.

I so dumb.
I thought it was per person. That’s better. I did not see that it said per boat. I can not go on the saltwater fishing club trips or join as a snowbird. I do not own a house, so I cannot join or go on them. No renters.

ColdNoMore 01-05-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1613479)
For that price there had better be some bluefin tuna. lol

Speaking of which... :22yikes:

Record $3.1 million paid in New Year'''s tuna auction at Japan'''s new market

Quote:

A Japanese sushi entrepreneur paid a record $3.1 million for a giant tuna Saturday as Tokyo's new fish market, which replaced the world-famous Tsukiji late last year, held its first pre-dawn New Year's auction.

Bidding stopped at a whopping 333.6 million yen for the enormous 278-kilogramme (612-pound) fish -- an endangered species -- that was caught off Japan's northern coast.

Self-styled "Tuna King" Kiyoshi Kimura paid the top price, which doubled the previous record of 155 million yen also paid by him in 2013.

Bay Kid 01-06-2019 08:13 AM

Sounds like fun, but I prefer saltwater fish.

graciegirl 01-06-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

I didn't know any of this. I have never fished in my whole life. I don't think I have ever seen anyone fishing on Lake Sumter. There ARE alligators in Lake Sumter.

I'll be. Expensive fishing on Lake Sumter. Who knew?

JSR22 01-06-2019 08:32 AM

Lake Sumter Fishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1613668)
I didn't know any of this. I have never fished in my whole life. I don't think I have ever seen anyone fishing on Lake Sumter. There ARE alligators in Lake Sumter.

I'll be. Expensive fishing on Lake Sumter. Who knew?

The boat is available every Saturday and a couple of Fridays a month. My husband his friends have enjoyed the fishing. They are going again in March.

Cisco Kid 01-06-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1613498)
:ohdear: OK here's a novel idea..... let's look at the positive side of this.

If 4 people don't have a boat and don't have any fishing gear and really want to fish in Lake Sumter from a boat then this is a good deal. And for the people that don't know what they are doing a Guide would come in very handy.

:ohdear: But do you want to know what the best part is? NOBODY is going to put a gun to your head and make you pay $250.00 to fish there if you don't want too! :coolsmiley:

Thank you for your wisdom :popcorn::popcorn:

bilcon 01-06-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisco kid (Post 1613711)
thank you for your wisdom :popcorn::popcorn:

how do you get those emoji's? Did i spell it correctly?

tophcfa 01-06-2019 10:27 AM

$250 is a fair price for a boat split by 4 people. Catch and Release is all I would do at any body of water around the Villages with all the pesticides and fertilizers used, especially a lake that is surrounded by the Villages signature golf course. If I want to catch fish to eat, I am going to fish in the Ocean (preferably the Atlantic over the Gulf).