Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   So far no success finding a home with expanded length garage (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/so-far-no-success-finding-home-expanded-length-garage-281490/)

Tom52 01-05-2019 06:25 PM

So far no success finding a home with expanded length garage

We have been looking for an existing home in TV that has an expanded depth garage plus a golf cart garage. We have been looking at some open houses and are also working with MLS realtor and The Villages sales people.

I am not sure what is considered a standard depth (inside dimensions) but it appears to be in the range of 19 ft. plus a few inches. I have measured many. It is difficult because a lot of the home descriptions list "expanded garage" but I have yet to see one that actually measures larger.

Crazy thing is the little ranch type house we are renting has a 21 ft. deep garage (inside dimensions). This is really strange since this little house is very small and nothing special as far as upgrades.

We have seen many beautiful houses that would be very good candidates if they just had a larger garage. We are beginning to wonder if moving to TV is not in the cards for us. Very frustrating so far.

vintageogauge 01-05-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom52 (Post 1613558)
We have been looking for an existing home in TV that has an expanded depth garage plus a golf cart garage. We have been looking at some open houses and are also working with MLS realtor and The Villages sales people.

I am not sure what is considered a standard depth (inside dimensions) but it appears to be in the range of 19 ft. plus a few inches. I have measured many. It is difficult because a lot of the home descriptions list "expanded garage" but I have yet to see one that actually measures larger.

Crazy thing is the little ranch type house we are renting has a 21 ft. deep garage (inside dimensions). This is really strange since this little house is very small and nothing special as far as upgrades.

We have seen many beautiful houses that would be very good candidates if they just had a larger garage. We are beginning to wonder if moving to TV is not in the cards for us. Very frustrating so far.

There is an Ivy in DeSoto on a cul-de-sac lot right at the entrance and across Fenney way from the pool. $496,000 it has a stretched garage. I have the same house, my garage on the right side is 25'6" on the side where the closet is with the heat/AC is 22' and the golf car garage is 22'. I just went out and measured them. Look for an Ivy with a garage stretch and that is what you will have, lots of room but I still wish I had a 4 car garage with a stretch. I have a lot of stuff.

PaulDenise 01-05-2019 07:33 PM

Lantana’s have the biggest garages in stock form at about 26’ deep. Many Lantana’s are stretched across the front for a total depth of about 30’. Some come with golf cart garages and some don’t. You will probably have to look at new houses to find an extended one.

TommyT 01-05-2019 08:48 PM

Sent you a PM...

Sent you a PM. I know where one is for sale with a 24 + feet deep garage FSBO ...

Joeg180 01-05-2019 10:44 PM

The Woodside has a large garage out of the box. I stretched mine as much as the lot would allow. We have a 29.5 feet wide by 27 feet deep 3 car. Hobby’s can be expensive. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charmed59 01-06-2019 08:03 AM

The premiers all have garages at least 21 feet deep.

If you look on thevillages website they have floorplans of all the houses. Some models have deeper garages than others when a standard size. If the house is then stretched in the right direction you know there will be a few more feet. This might help you take some models out of contention.

graciegirl 01-06-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom52 (Post 1613558)

Are you looking at just new builds? We have friends who bought a New Lantana with a larger garage a few years ago on a lot that they could expand the garage and they did. They now have room for five cars and even have a car lift.

Many resales have expanded garages. Good luck. Our garages are our basements too.

villagetinker 01-06-2019 09:03 AM

We were able to buy a lot and build, so we ended up with a Gardenia (the house we wanted) with 3 stretches, one which added 4 feet the the 2 car garage and the golf cart garage. So this a buy the lot and build might be an option for you also.

thelegges 01-06-2019 09:27 AM

It’s hard to go from a 3 car garage to less, so garage space was first on our list. After all that basement we left behind is missed daily

bluedivergirl 01-06-2019 10:33 AM

They are out there ~ Our garage is a full three stalls, 25' deep. The neighbor's garage is bigger yet. We are in Hillsborough.

Garage space was a priority for us. We talked to so many people who bought a house, and quickly moved because there was no storage.

Joeg180 01-06-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedivergirl (Post 1613733)
They are out there ~ Our garage is a full three stalls, 25' deep. The neighbor's garage is bigger yet. We are in Hillsborough.

Garage space was a priority for us. We talked to so many people who bought a house, and quickly moved because there was no storage.

Did you buy existing or build? Which floor plan do you have?
OP you may want to start looking for specific floor plans to narrow your search.

We became ruthless in what we were bringing south and purged excess belongings.

vintageogauge 01-06-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedivergirl (Post 1613733)

And that is why designers with 2 car garages are hard to sell both new and re-sales seem to sit for a long time before being sold.

PaulDenise 01-06-2019 06:52 PM

Indeed my stretched Lantana with a golf cart garage is 793 square feet. That is about twice what a 20' by 20' = 400 square foot garage is.

Look for new stretched houses, or buy a big lot and pick a good model and stretch it. Oddly, the stretches are quite cheap. I think like $4000. That not only stretches your garage but usually the second bedroom in front. You will get it all back in re-sale.

bluedivergirl 01-07-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeg180 (Post 1613736)
Did you buy existing or build? Which floor plan do you have?
OP you may want to start looking for specific floor plans to narrow your search.

We became ruthless in what we were bringing south and purged excess belongings.

We have a Gardenia, on Evans Prairie. TV does seem to put more features on view lots. This house was existing.

VillageIdiots 01-07-2019 10:26 AM

My home in Fenney, which was spec, was built with a stretched garage out to the front, and a stretched lanai out to the back. It didn't add any square footage to the living area, which was fine for us, but I was excited about the garage because I have and wanted to keep my full size pickup truck. It more than fits lengthwise, but a stretch to the side, even an extra couple of feet, sure would have been nice as far as being able to get in and out of the cars in the garage goes. I think garages are one of those spaces where they are never really big enough. If you have a smaller garage, you adjust to the limited space, and if you have a larger one, you fill it quickly and are left only wishing you had more room.

I was told that in newer areas of TV, including Fenney of course, the spec homes are typically built in a way to maximize the space on the lot. So, if a stretch here or there is appropriate, they usually go ahead and do it to maximize the potential of the lot. That was told to me in response to a comment that was made about the homes appearing closer together than other areas - so it may have been a load of BS. But, it does seem like I notice a lot of new spec homes being built with 3 car garages instead of a GC garage, if the lot is a little wider, or larger lanai's in the back than might be on the standard floorplan for a home. But I don't know if that is driven by the size and shape of the lot or if it's more just adding upgrades here and there to give the potential buyer some options.