Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Villages Accent (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villages-accent-281599/)

Rapscallion St Croix 01-06-2019 04:54 PM

The Villages Accent

Since The Villages is not a place where generations are born and raised, but rather a place where the population is replaced by folks from other regions, I guess it will never be defined by an accent but will remain a mashup. However, if the aforementioned were not the case, I suppose the end result would be what is called the American Standard or Broadcast Accent.

Here is the video that provoked my thoughts on this.

zmarkp 01-07-2019 06:22 AM

Interesting. Being a Southerner I absolutely LOATHE when some Hollywood actor tries speaking with a southern drawl because it cannot be done easily.

graciegirl 01-07-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1613875)
Since The Villages is not a place where generations are born and raised, but rather a place where the population is replaced by folks from other regions, I guess it will never be defined by an accent but will remain a mashup. However, if the aforementioned were not the case, I suppose the end result would be what is called the American Standard or Broadcast Accent.

Here is the video that provoked my thoughts on this.

Very interesting and quite a fair assessment. There are mini area's too like Pittsburgh and Brooklyn and New Orleans with a recognizable accent. I would think that all people think they don't sound different from the newscasters, that is the nature of people.

Bay Kid 01-07-2019 07:31 AM

I have no accent, or that is what I tell people.

Two Bills 01-07-2019 08:41 AM

Back in the UK. the BBC Newsreaders used to speak a very precise and comprehensible English.
Then in the spirit of 'Inclusiveness' it was decided that regional accents would be more user friendly, and if the person selected also had a speach impediment, and in the case of femail reporters a nasal whine combined with the screech of a Pratt and Whitney jet engine, all the better.
Now if you are hard of hearing it is almost impossible to understand a word spoken without the aid of sub titles.
Regional accents should stay in the regions, and let broadcast English be the norm.

Rapscallion St Croix 01-07-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmarkp (Post 1613954)
Interesting. Being a Southerner I absolutely LOATHE when some Hollywood actor tries speaking with a southern drawl because it cannot be done easily.

I'm with you. They always overdo it.

graciegirl 01-07-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1614041)
I'm with you. They always overdo it.

I HATE it when people make fun of Southern speak. I find it falls gently on my ears.

I also grit my teeth when people bully others on here and say incorrectly, that people say Bless your heart insincerely right before they say something mean about someone.. Most don't say Bless your/her/his heart and if they do they do it as a funny thing. I also hate when people call people "Rednecks". I hear that mostly from people who do not come from areas that have a lot of agriculture or people who work a lot in the sun. The word" Hillbillies" makes me want to bite, unless I use it myself and with love toward my ancestors.

JoMar 01-07-2019 01:38 PM

Tennessee Ernie Ford.......Bless your little pee picking heart :)

graciegirl 01-07-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1614087)
Tennessee Ernie Ford.......Bless your little pee picking heart :)

ummm. I think it was pea pickin' .

And THANK YOU.

Chi-Town 01-07-2019 04:26 PM

Growing up phonics and reading were emphasized which left little room for an accent especially if you attended a parochial school.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rapscallion St Croix 01-07-2019 04:32 PM

I say pecans (pee kahns), you say pecans (pee cans), and she says pecans (pick ahns)
I say oil (all) and you say oil (oy ill)

How Americans pronounce words differently by region - Business Insider

graciegirl 01-07-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1614140)
Growing up phonics and reading were emphasized which left little room for an accent especially if you attended a parochial school.

Chicago has no accent?

you tuble chicago accent - Bing video

Chi-Town 01-07-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1614156)

Man accents, by location. Where do you think "Da Bears" came from? But nobody had much of an accent at Our Lady of Lourdes.

Chi-Town 01-07-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1614166)
Many accents, by location. Where do you think "Da Bears" came from? But nobody had much of an accent at Our Lady of Lourdes.

Rapscallion St Croix 01-07-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1614166)
Man accents, by location. Where do you think "Da Bears" came from? But nobody had much of an accent at Our Lady of Lourdes.

Were they even allowed to speak?