Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   TOTV Website and Mobile Suggestion Box (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/)
-   -   Closing Threads and Removing Posts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/closing-threads-removing-posts-282090/)

BK001 01-12-2019 09:24 AM

Closing Threads and Removing Posts

I was so pleased to see a thread today that had been closed after only 1 post, had an explanation for the closure. The moderator's post said:

“Question answered, thread closed.”

So nice to get an explanation – you made me feel like an adult. I think many/some, well at the least I, would love to understand more about participating in TOTV. There are times I understand why a thread is closed. But there have been many other times where I scratched my head and re-read the posts, thinking, “Ok, if I were Moderator Queen-For-A-Day, why would I close this?” and was unable to posit an answer. So, my suggestion would be to include a reason, whenever possible, as the above quoted moderator did. Some suggestions off the top-of-my-head (but I’m sure there are many better suggestions).

Personal Attack - Thread Closed
Political – Thread Closed
Too far off Topic – Thread Closed
No longer helpful – Thread Closed
Timeliness has expired – Thread Closed
Lack of interest – Thread Closed
Inflammatory - Thread Closed
Uncivil - Thread Closed
Because I'm the Mommy or Because I said so - Thread Closed

etc., etc.

I would also love to get a PM whenever my personal post is removed. Sometimes I don’t get it. Sometimes I do – LOL like the time I posted to a classified ad for a large, outdoor Pink Flamingo, asking the seller to please don’t sell it here since I wouldn’t want to live next to one. HaHa – What was I thinking? So happy that post was removed faster than you can say Jiminy Cricket.

Anyway, the Forum does say . . . Suggestion Box. Thanks.

fw102807 01-12-2019 09:36 AM

That post was like deja vu for them. The last time that question got asked it got ugly really fast. I think they do a good job of keeping things civil but I agree an explanation is nice.

BK001 01-12-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1615431)
That post was like deja vu for them. The last time that question got asked it got ugly really fast. I think they do a good job of keeping things civil but I agree an explanation is nice.

Hi -- I was not questioning why that particular thread was closed -- I think it was a perfectly good decision. I am seeking a little clarification to help understand why a post is deleted or a thread is closed especially when it is not blatantly obvious.

Two Bills 01-12-2019 09:42 AM

Explanation with removal would be good.
I sometimes wonder if certain posters get more slack than others.

Taltarzac725 01-12-2019 09:43 AM

I thought we were not supposed to talk about the person or people behind the curtain so to speak or why they do whatever they do.

Two Bills 01-12-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1615435)
I thought we were not supposed to talk about the person or people behind the curtain so to speak or why they do whatever they do.

We will soon find out!

BK001 01-12-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Not my intention to question anything they do -- just simply want to offer a suggestion that would help me (and maybe some others) better understand the rules so that I can better obey the rules

CWGUY 01-12-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

You are correct. These posts may be removed! :ho:

BK001 01-12-2019 09:49 AM

Would I be violating a rule if I wanted to say that I agree with FW and think, for the most part, the Moderators do an excellent job. If this is forbidden, how would I know it?

CWGUY 01-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1615437)
Not my intention to question anything they do -- just simply want to offer a suggestion that would help me (and maybe some others) better understand the rules so that I can better obey the rules

:icon_wink: Gave up some time ago!

Taltarzac725 01-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1615441)
Would I be violating a rule if I wanted to say that I agree with FW and think, for the most part, the Moderators do an excellent job. If this is forbidden, how would I know it?

It would seem OK. They are having a good day today.

BK001 01-12-2019 09:53 AM

But please, let's not stray from the point of the thread -- it is not to question or talk about the Moderators. It is simply to offer a suggestion that I feel would enhance my understanding of how to remain in good standing on TOTV.

BK001 01-12-2019 10:05 AM

Here's another:

Suggestion Made - Thread Closed

graciegirl 01-12-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1615426)
I was so pleased to see a thread today that was closed after only 1 post. Moderator's post said:

“Question answered, thread closed.”

So nice to get an explanation – you made me feel like an adult. I think many/some, well at the least I, would love to understand more about participating in TOTV. There are times I understand why a thread is closed. But there have been many other times where I scratched my head and re-read the posts, thinking, “Ok, if I were Moderator Queen-For-A-Day, why would I close this?” and was unable to posit an answer. So, my suggestion would be to include a reason, whenever possible, as the above quoted moderator did. Some suggestions off the top-of-my-head (but I’m sure there are many better suggestions).

Personal Attack - Thread Closed
Political – Thread Closed
Too far off Topic – Thread Closed
No longer helpful – Thread Closed
Timeliness has expired – Thread Closed
Lack of interest – Thread Closed
Inflammatory - Thread Closed
Uncivil - Thread Closed
Because I'm the Mommy or Because I said so - Thread Closed

etc., etc.

I would also love to get a PM whenever my personal post is removed. Sometimes I don’t get it. Sometimes I do – LOL like the time I posted to a classified ad for a large, outdoor Pink Flamingo, asking the seller to please don’t sell it here since I wouldn’t want to live next to one. HaHa – What was I thinking? So happy that post was removed faster than you can say Jiminy Cricket.

Anyway, the Forum does say . . . Suggestion Box. Thanks.

I like everything about you.

Madelaine Amee 01-12-2019 11:11 AM

I saw the one-liner this morning and thought it was a troll. The Moderator was right on it.