Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Enclose Lanai (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/enclose-lanai-282227/)

dblwyr 01-13-2019 06:57 PM

Enclose Lanai

We are looking for recommendations from those who have had good experiences with companies that do glass lanai enclosures. I have reviewed past postings, wondering if there are those with recent experiences who can weigh in. Thanks.

V&VofWV 01-13-2019 07:11 PM

We used CVS and were very happy. You might also want to consider raising the floor and installing electrical outlets as we did. For the enclosure we had double pane insulated glass installed. While more costly, the benefits are well worth the extra cost in the long run. You can save a little money by contracting yourself for the lanai ceiling insulation and flooring.

coach 01-14-2019 11:20 AM

I used Melton Construction and was very pleased. They raised the floor, insulated, drywall, added three low e windows. A nice job on time on on budget.

dblwyr 01-14-2019 04:19 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the responses and they are helpful. I may have used the wron terminology as we want to just enclose with glass and not convert the lanai a full interior house expansion.

New Englander 01-14-2019 04:34 PM

I had my lanai enclosed with glass. This is not a high end installation as others have described but more of a basic install. It's all I wanted.
I used John Hill Aluminum 352-753-1701

dnobles 01-14-2019 04:52 PM

Custom windows A friend who owned a glass company for years told us no need for double pane here. He said you’d never make up for the cost in electricity (air conditioning or heat) We installed a Mitsubishi air/heater too

JoyceI 02-04-2019 09:16 AM

Enclosed Lanai recommendations

We plan on enclosing our lanai with windows to replace the screen.

Would appreciate recommendations!

Thank you.

swtroy 02-04-2019 09:40 AM

We used Custom Windows and Doors. We elclosed a 21’ X 12’ lanai entirely with sliding glass doors. We kept that open feel but are able to keep the elements out when needed. Good experience with Custom Windows.

Lottoguy 02-04-2019 10:00 AM

BTW when you raise the floor it then increases your square footage in the home. By doing that your real estate taxes will go up. So, is that added expense of raising that floor two inches really worth it?

alanmcdonald 02-04-2019 12:04 PM

Another vote for Custom Windows and Design

gomsiepop 02-05-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lottoguy (Post 1621885)
BTW when you raise the floor it then increases your square footage in the home. By doing that your real estate taxes will go up. So, is that added expense of raising that floor two inches really worth it?

Just because the floor is raised in the lanai does not cause taxes to increase. The sliders have to be removed in order for the lanai to be included as square footage to the home and then taxes go up. Check with the county tax assessor if you're unsure.

billethkid 02-05-2019 06:43 AM

Custom Windows did a great job glassing in part of our lenai.
Ours has very high ceilings and we wound up using fixed panes above stacked sliders.

Also where there was some irregular geometry we employed fixed panes as well.

When all sliders are open we have 80% open compared to before enclosing.

We had a heat gain/loss done and could not justify double pane.

When we had ours done 4 years ago there was a code in Sumter County that to have HVAC added (Mitsubishi unit) the floor had to be raised to the same level as the home interior. We chose to not do it.

From what I understand that code has been changed and no longer required. Check it out.

ariel 02-05-2019 09:53 PM

Used All Season Rooms. Chip is owner. Enclosed with double pane glass sliders and solid center panel. Insulated ceiling. Can use it Year round. Great job.

Chi-Town 02-06-2019 08:56 AM

Had T & D out for an estimate 2- 3 years ago. HVAC was not discussed but raising the floor and adding an outside exit light were required to enclose the lanai with glass sliders

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Irmidick 02-06-2019 01:41 PM

Custom windows is a high quality co. All three counties issue “ dehumidifiers” permits now. Inexpensive and no added aces.