Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Changing lightbulbs underneath GE Spacemaker XL1800 microwave/range (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/changing-lightbulbs-underneath-ge-spacemaker-xl1800-microwave-range-28375/)

twolfe 04-04-2010 10:49 AM

Changing lightbulbs underneath GE Spacemaker XL1800 microwave/range

The first time you have to change these lightbulbs is a real pain. There is some kind of glue attached to the factory installed bulbs. Uninstalling the old bulbs is the hard part. Add to this the complication of having to work crouched down in addition to being unable to see what your fingers are doing. So far I could only remove/replace 1 of the two bulbs.

Replacements can be bought at Walmart. If you have large fingers you are in for a real chore!! Anyone else had this issue?

champion6 04-04-2010 11:37 AM

I absolutely agree with you, twolfe. I just replaced a bulb in a model 1650 GE spacesaver microwave. What a pain!!!

I didn't know about the glue and I ended up separating the glass of the bulb from the base of the bulb. I had to use a needle nose pliers to extract the base piece by piece.

I paid $10 for a replacement bulb from the GE dealer. Only later did I learn that it's a common bulb available in many stores for about $3-$4.

Such is the life of a DIYer :22yikes:

rjrex 04-04-2010 01:41 PM

If you remove the 3 or 4 screws that hold the cover plate to the underside of the microwave the covers tilts down exposing the light bulb sockets. remove socket and replace the bulb...glue is still a problem but easier to unscrew the broken bulb. BTW...Ace hardware sells the bulbs also.

zcaveman 04-04-2010 07:12 PM

Not sure if it is the same style microwave, but after playing contortionist and trying with the needle nose pliers, I went outside and found a piece of a pine branch that was about the diameter of the socket and jammed it into the socket and turned it and the broken socket screwed out. When the other side went out, I twisted the bulb out and used the same piece of branch to get the other one out. Easy as pie - one-two-three!!

I did turn off the circuit breaker to the microwave first.

Pturner 04-04-2010 08:15 PM

Sorry, but somebody had to ask...

Q: How many TOTVers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: At least four to explain how they did it and the rest of us to pray we don't have to any time soon.

GatbTester 04-05-2010 07:21 AM

Space Maker Light Bulbs

AMEN!:angel:

zcaveman 04-05-2010 11:14 AM

The bad thing was that when the bulb blew it took out the piece of glass that covers it. That was not cheap. When the other one blew, I replaced the piece of glass with a piece of plexiglass. Works better because it is not frosted.

For you that joke about trying to get that bulb out, please bookmark this site for when yours goes out. It looks a likes a simple job but is all but that.

Pturner 04-05-2010 09:20 PM

Oh no, Z. I hope you did not take offense. Believe me, I am sufficiently intimidated by how hard sounds that when the time comes, I think I'll just start using a flashlight!

Unless of course, dearest neighbor, you would come change it for me.

zcaveman 04-06-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 257924)
Oh no, Z. I hope you did not take offense. Believe me, I am sufficiently intimidated by how hard sounds that when the time comes, I think I'll just start using a flashlight!

Unless of course, dearest neighbor, you would come change it for me.

Will do. I still have my pine branch/socket remover!!

pooh 04-06-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pturner (Post 257661)
q: How many totvers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: At least four to explain how they did it and the rest of us to pray we don't have to any time soon.

lololol!!!

twolfe 04-06-2010 03:23 PM

I think the key here is, do not use the light as a night light!