Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   cat problems (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/cat-problems-283795/)

rpodell 01-31-2019 08:12 AM

cat problems

I was told when I was looking at a house for sale in TV that my cats MUST stay inside, as birds will swoop down and take them away. I have never heard of anything like this, is it true? I would hate to have a family member airlifted.

JSR22 01-31-2019 08:27 AM

Absolutely true and there are coyotes. Cats are to be kept indoors and not allowed outside unless leashed.

NotGolfer 01-31-2019 08:45 AM

Many communities have pet restrictions...cats notwithstanding!! AKA leash laws. BUT many people don't adhere to this law with their cats!! It's true...that they may be in peril here due to the preditors (ie. birds of prey, coyotes and sometimes gators). We've had cats before (not here) and they were kept inside. It's not cruel to do so! Last cat we had lived with us 12 yrs. Someone in the neighborhood had one that didn't adhere to the town's law and that cat would make it's way to our yard. It was a nuisance! I don't know about you...but I'd not want someone else's cat spraying on my property OR disappear.
I remember an instance here where we were carting through a neighborhood and saw a cat lying dead in the middle of a street. We were home a bit later and heard the guy on the radio reporting a lost cat (with description). I called him and said, I don't know if it's the same cat but we were in that neighborhood and this dead cat fit the description. Maybe you should notify the owner that it may be deceased. You kitty could also get hit while it's out prowling!!

thetruth 01-31-2019 08:54 AM

Not sure about florida law

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1620805)
Many communities have pet restrictions...cats notwithstanding!! AKA leash laws. BUT many people don't adhere to this law with their cats!! It's true...that they may be in peril here due to the preditors (ie. birds of prey, coyotes and sometimes gators). We've had cats before (not here) and they were kept inside. It's not cruel to do so! Last cat we had lived with us 12 yrs. Someone in the neighborhood had one that didn't adhere to the town's law and that cat would make it's way to our yard. It was a nuisance! I don't know about you...but I'd not want someone else's cat spraying on my property OR disappear.
I remember an instance here where we were carting through a neighborhood and saw a cat lying dead in the middle of a street. We were home a bit later and heard the guy on the radio reporting a lost cat (with description). I called him and said, I don't know if it's the same cat but we were in that neighborhood and this dead cat fit the description. Maybe you should notify the owner that it may be deceased. You kitty could also get hit while it's out prowling!!

As an ex-New Yorker and frankly someone who wonders about the insanity of laws. I stumbled over the fact that in NY the law says you must report an accident if you hit a dog. A cat does not have that,"protection." It is legal to hit it and drive away.

I am neither anti cat or anti dog. I believe MOST pet owners are responsible. Sadly the few that justify their to hell with everyone else but me are the cause of friction.

John_W 01-31-2019 09:39 AM

photo1902 01-31-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpodell (Post 1620799)
I was told when I was looking at a house for sale in TV that my cats MUST stay inside, as birds will swoop down and take them away. I have never heard of anything like this, is it true? I would hate to have a family member airlifted.

More importantly, why would you think its ok to let your cat outside, and onto other peoples property? Years ago a neighbor thought it was perfectly acceptable to let their cat roam free, and apparently our flowerbed as it's litter box. Totally rude of the neighbors.

DonH57 01-31-2019 09:49 AM

I definately would not let a cat roam around the yard for the reasons others stated. Actually I would not allow a very small dog to do the same.

judynlee 01-31-2019 09:55 AM

For the past 3 years I have served on the Lost and Found Committee of the Villages cat club. Our return rate for lost cats in The Villages, at roughly 50%, is still way above the national average. We may never know what happens to the other 50% but my guess is reason number one is probably automobiles and predators-in The Villages we know they are owls, eagles, hawks, coyotes, dogs, gators, raccoons and foxes-likely number two. Cats can live quite happily inside but you need to make their lives interesting, with toys, cat trees, etc. Google Jackson Galaxy for lots more info.

villagetinker 01-31-2019 10:20 AM

We have a cat, and she is allowed to go out into the screened lanai and birdcage. We had the heavy duty PET screen installed in the lower section of the lanai and birdcage for her protection. She is NEVER allowed to go outside on her own, we occasionally take her out in a stroller. A pet door allows her to come and go from the house to the lanai and birdcage as she desires. Of course, she is locked in when we leave.
So please be very cautious with your kitty.

Topspinmo 02-03-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1620817)
More importantly, why would you think its ok to let your cat outside, and onto other peoples property? Years ago a neighbor thought it was perfectly acceptable to let their cat roam free, and apparently our flowerbed as it's litter box. Totally rude of the neighbors.

Flowers boxes are nothing compared to the songbirds that cats kill. Between cats, starlings, and English sparrows I’m surprised there are any native songbirds in residential area. Now you can pythons to list down here

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-03-2019 10:13 PM

The only time I've ever allowed my cats out, was when I was with them. In the back yard, of our fenced-in property, to the side of the garage where I have my herb garden. I'd weed the garden, she'd sit in the patch of catnip and get stoned for 10 minutes before I put her back in the house.

It's irresponsible to allow a cat to roam free.