Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   piano bar? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/piano-bar-283813/)

old maine geezer 01-31-2019 12:16 PM

piano bar?

this might be a silly question, but are there any piano bars in the area. I love to go to restaurants that have them and sing along.

Two Bills 01-31-2019 01:39 PM

I hope not.
It's hard enough hearing your fellow diner speak over the din in most eateries, without a piano player, and singing customers!
Karaoke and fries anyone?:ohdear:

John_W 01-31-2019 03:02 PM

Boomer 02-17-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old maine geezer (Post 1620877)
this might be a silly question, but are there any piano bars in the area. I love to go to restaurants that have them and sing along.

When I first discovered TV, I thought surely there had to be a piano bar here. But now, (sigh) I doubt there ever will be.

If I am in a piano bar or a restaurant with a pianist playing in the background, I can keep the tip jar full because I never seem to run out of requests. I usually start with “Satin Doll” and on to “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” and so it goes. (I do remember my manners and give others a chance — but never a lull.)

I guess I am a little bit out of my era and not supposed to know all those songs, but for some reason I do.

Anyway, the reason I am in this thread — other than to wax nostalgic — is to talk about Beegie Adair:

I had never heard of Beegie Adair until fairly recently when I was up north in a favorite restaurant.

We know, all too well, that it is a rare restaurant that can get the background music just right. But this one does. Alas, not a piano bar. Not live music. No tip jar. No singing. But the next best thing. A perfect loop of piano, playing in the background.

I knew all the songs but I did not know the artist.

So I got out my phone and pushed Shazam and that was how I discovered Beegie Adair. And now I own a whole bunch of her music. Listening to it right now, in fact.

If you like a beautiful romantic piano, and you had never heard of Beegie Adair, now you have.

You’re welcome. :)

Villageswimmer 02-17-2019 06:10 PM

When I hear piano bar, I always think of Bill Murray on SNL. Loved that!

fw102807 02-17-2019 06:22 PM

Why do people feel if they don't like something no one should have it...

bandsdavis 02-17-2019 06:30 PM

Piano bar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1625682)
When I first discovered TV, I thought surely there had to be a piano bar here. But now, (sigh) I doubt there ever will be.

If I am in a piano bar or a restaurant with a pianist playing in the background, I can keep the tip jar full because I never seem to run out of requests. I usually start with “Satin Doll” and on to “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” and so it goes. (I do remember my manners and give others a chance — but never a lull.)

I guess I am a little bit out of my era and not supposed to know all those songs, but for some reason I do.

Anyway, the reason I am in this thread — other than to wax nostalgic — is to talk about Beegie Adair:

I had never heard of Beegie Adair until fairly recently when I was up north in a favorite restaurant.

We know, all too well, that it is a rare restaurant that can get the background music just right. But this one does. Alas, not a piano bar. Not live music. No tip jar. No singing. But the next best thing. A perfect loop of piano, playing in the background.

So I got out my phone and pushed Shazam and that was how I discovered Beegie Adair. And now I own a whole bunch of her music. Listening to it right now, in fact.

If you like a beautiful romantic piano, and you had never heard of Beegie Adair, now you have.

We are with you Boomer! In the almost 7 years we have been here, we have talked to Waterfront, Palmer, Nancy Lopez, La Hacienda, and Demshars (multiple owners at the last 2 locations)and tried to persuade them to give a piano bar a try. Even if only 1 night a week, it would be unique enough to draw, I think. And we agree on the style and volume level. It should be quiet and in the background, just loud enough to enjoy and still have a conversation. We'll also add to your list of pianists to listen to mentioning Danny Wright. He's been around for many years and has a number of CD's. He plays some of his own music but his real talent is in interpretting Broadway, standards and modern ballads. Just marvelous.

Madelaine Amee 02-17-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

\

Boomer, I just did a search for her on YouTube, found her playing Fly Me to the Moon, one of my favorites of all time, and she sounds great. Thanks, but I will go out on a limb and say I don't think we have a restaurant or a bar with the ambiance for a piano player of that level, although, maybe Demshers could provide the right room.

Brandigirl 02-17-2019 07:34 PM

I have a Danny Wright CD. Love it. I have Alexa and added the songs to my personalized playlists. So if I am in the mood to listen to instrumental music, I just say, "Alexa, play my instrumental playlist". I make different playlists and usually tell Alexa to play whatever I am in the mood for. Great when prepping/cooking! You can also tell Alexa to "Play Danny Wright songs" for instance, and then if you like the song, just say, "Alexa, add this song to my instrumental playlist".

Boomer 02-17-2019 07:46 PM

Thank you, bandsdavis. I will look up Danny Wright.

Hi Madelaine, I am glad you liked her "Fly Me to the Moon."

I have been doing a little more online reading about Beejie Adair, and the Beejie Adair Trio. I found her discography and every one of those recordings looks pretty wonderful to me.

She is 81 and has been in the business for a long time. She does a few concerts, some at a place called the Birdland Theater in New York.

When I first heard her, I knew I had to find out more.

Wonderfully romantic slow dance music, too -- and I bet even couples who can't dance could figure out something to do with Beejie Adair playing through the Bose -- maybe a little "Teach Me Tonight."

BK001 02-17-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

She is fabulous:

The Way You Look Tonight - YouTube

The kind of music I used to dance and listen to at The Rainbow Room in NYC, a million years ago. Brings back so many wonderful memories.

Madelaine Amee 02-18-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1625710)

I have been doing a little more online reading about Beejie Adair, and the Beejie Adair Trio. I found her discography and every one of those recordings looks pretty wonderful to me.

She is 81 and has been in the business for a long time. She does a few concerts, some at a place called the Birdland Theater in New York.

When I first heard her, I knew I had to find out more.

Wonderfully romantic slow dance music, too -- and I bet even couples who can't dance could figure out something to do with Beejie Adair playing through the Bose -- maybe a little "Teach Me Tonight."

Once again, thank you for posting her name. She will be a great addition to my Bose. My son has an Alexa that he talks to every morning when he is having coffee, I will give him both Beegie and Danny Wright. Teach me Tonight, another really smooth romantic number.

I just YouTubed Danny Wright, but did not care for his music. Much prefer Beejie.

BK001 02-18-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1625786)
. . .
Just youtubed Danny Wright and did not care for his music, much prefer the styling of Beejie.

Yes they are different styles -- I find Beegie to be supper club (which I adore), while Wright sounds more dreamy/classical (which I also love) as in this selection:

Somewhere In Time - YouTube

However, regardless of who we prefer, there is no doubt that both are incredibly accomplished pianists.

Boomer 02-18-2019 08:29 AM

Good morning,

I went to Amazon, scrolled to CDs & Vinyl, and typed in Beegie Adair. Clicking on the CD title and scrolling down shows the list of songs on each one. I think those who love the old standards will be amazed. I can’t think of anything she left out.

I must shamelessly confess that I still buy CDs. Mr. Boomer will put them on my computer and iPod for me. (Yes. I still have an old Nano. I am such a dinosaur.)

Chi-Town 02-18-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1625699)
Boomer, I just did a search for her on YouTube, found her playing Fly Me to the Moon, one of my favorites of all time, and she sounds great. Thanks, but I will go out on a limb and say I don't think we have a restaurant or a bar with the ambiance for a piano player of that level, although, maybe Demshers could provide the right room.

Here it is:

Fly Me To The Moon -- Beegie Adair Trio - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk