Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   a/c duct work in lanai work done (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/c-duct-work-lanai-work-done-283882/)

geod 02-01-2019 07:10 AM

a/c duct work in lanai work done

Any one added a/c duck work in there enclosed lanai. If so who did it. Need to get information & estimate.

theorem painter 02-01-2019 07:44 AM

DeSantis did mine. Great job and charged me less than the estimate.

mulligan 02-01-2019 09:13 AM

Just do yourself a favor and ask whoever does the work to do a proper heat load calculation including the lanai so you don't over tax your a/c unit.

villagetinker 02-01-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1621081)
Just do yourself a favor and ask whoever does the work to do a proper heat load calculation including the lanai so you don't over tax your a/c unit.

I agree with this comment, many people end up installing a mini split A/C system for the enclosed lanai. Also, IMHO, you cannot just "ad a duct", as this will affect the airflow in the entire system.

eyc234 02-01-2019 10:31 AM

The bigger issue now is that building code does not allow this any longer. We bought a villa with that same setup in an glassed in lanai and the inspector said that since there was not a return air duct in the room and it was an added duct it would not pass inspection. Luckily it was a sale by owner and cash. Make sure you know the code and what will be acceptable should you ever want to sell. I am handy enough that I would just take the duct out and close up the hole if it was an issue for a sale to go through.

retiredguy123 02-01-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1621091)
I agree with this comment, many people end up installing a mini split A/C system for the enclosed lanai. Also, IMHO, you cannot just "ad a duct", as this will affect the airflow in the entire system.

I also agree. I think it depends on whether the hvac system is sized to handle a small extra room. Usually it is, and adding a duct will not be a problem. You could also add a return duct in the lanai. It is interesting that the building code may not allow adding a duct, unless you also raise the floor level and add electrical outlets. However, you can add a separate split system to the lanai. But, the contractors are using a loophole by calling the split system a "dehumidifier" instead of what it really is. The split system is actually an hvac unit, but, if they refer to it as an hvac system, they are violating the code, unless they raise the floor and add electrical outlets.