Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Do you think someone can survive in The Villages without a car. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/do-you-think-someone-can-survive-villages-without-car-284080/)

Vikingjunior 02-03-2019 05:34 PM

Do you think someone can survive in The Villages without a car.

The Villages advertises as a golf cart community but I'm discovering there are many places, stores, that is not accessible by golf cart which is disappointing.

To give an example the Best Buy and [many other stores] off 441 is not accessible by golf cart because you can't cross Rolling Acres rd.

It's odd because this property is in The Villages and many other stores on the property are just not golf cart accessible.

So I ask does one really need to have a car to live here in your opinion?

JSR22 02-03-2019 06:02 PM

Car

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1621732)
The Villages advertises as a golf cart community but I'm discovering there are many places, stores, that is not accessible by golf cart which is disappointing.

To give an example the Best Buy and [many other stores] off 441 is not accessible by golf cart because you can't cross Rolling Acres rd.

It's odd because this property is in The Villages and many other stores on the property are just not golf cart accessible.

I would not live here without a car. We have season passes to Disney, go to Costco, Malls for shopping, day trips etc.
There are many things we do that require a car. We basically use the cart for golf not for transportation.

Arctic Fox 02-03-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

While it is true that you cannot park your golf cart right outside Best Buy, it is really not that far to walk from where you can park it. And Five Guys is en route should you feel the need for sustenance.

On the odd occasion where we do need a car we avail ourselves of our kind neighbors who have one, rent a car or get a taxi. Cheaper in the long run (and, yes, we do take our neighbors out for a meal to thank them).

fw102807 02-03-2019 06:26 PM

Yes

asianthree 02-03-2019 06:38 PM

For 3 years we didn’t have a car here. Once a month we rented at enterprise for a week usually under $125

. Got all our out of the bubble shopping done, Disney and beyond. But I do 90% of any retail online. For us how many time do you really need Best Buy, Sams, and such. Not a problem for us but we are very organized.

Fredster 02-03-2019 06:41 PM

It is handy to have a car in The Villages, but I find over time that I use it less and less.
Of course where you live in TV might be a factor!

Polar Bear 02-03-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

...To give an example the Best Buy and [many other stores] off 441 is not accessible by golf cart because you can't cross Rolling Acres rd.

It's odd because this property is in The Villages and many other stores on the property are just not golf cart accessible...

Not so sure those properties are within the boundaries of the CDD's which officially define The Villages.

sirknor 02-03-2019 08:15 PM

Do your shopping on Amazon. That eliminates most of the running to stores.

n8xwb 02-03-2019 08:32 PM

No car needed -- just as Best Buy isn't needed!!!

Topspinmo 02-03-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Sure the can, Leesburg bush stops off 441, you can park in pet smart parking lot out by 441 and walk across street. Village taxi option also. Take a lot to taxi rides to cover cost of insurance and car. Village airport van goes to airport which should open up Orlando buses and trains.

rjm1cc 02-03-2019 09:13 PM

I think the key would be where you want to go for medical service. A taxie could probably solve this problem at no more than a car would cost.

Fraugoofy 02-03-2019 09:15 PM

I do not think you need a car in The Villages. I am not the average Villager. I shop mostly online and am a person of modest means. You can get almost all grocery items delivered or do curb side pick up at Wal-Mart. Aldi and Publix and Winn Dixie are all within golf cart driving distance from my home. I do own a car, however because I enjoy the beach and the ocean.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

mamamia54 02-03-2019 09:39 PM

Fraugoofy, just curious what beach do you visit and how long does it take to get there? Thanks

Nucky 02-03-2019 10:19 PM

You can do without a car if you can stand driving in a Cart during the Bitter Freezing Cold We Experience. :cold::a20:

Fraugoofy 02-03-2019 10:40 PM