Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   buying golf carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/buying-golf-carts-284183/)

craiglittler 02-04-2019 08:52 PM

buying golf carts

Whats the best option in the villages, a gas or electric golf cart, and why?

spring_chicken 02-04-2019 09:00 PM

You might want to do a search on this topic, as it's been debated here for years. You will find many like one or the other for differing reasons. The debate usually ends up with a lot of heated insults that are totally unnecessary. Especially those who want to make very sweeping generalizations about the cart they didn't choose. Sadly, they make such outlandish statements that they make themselves look quite foolish.
It's all personal preference, and if I were you, I'd decide for myself after trying both. One is better for some situations, the other is better for other situations. Neither is ultimately "best". It is truly personal preference.

Tom C 02-04-2019 09:14 PM

Post #2 is spot on...

..however, I dont always buy used golf cart, but when I do, it will be gas. I know how to work on them and I know what to expect from them. I can not say the same for replacing batteries, or their lifecycle... its just me...

rjm1cc 02-04-2019 09:19 PM

How far do you want to go?
Do you mind noise?

graciegirl 02-04-2019 09:25 PM

I choose gas. You only see electric carts off the side of the path.

Tom C 02-04-2019 09:28 PM

Maybe a more apt question would be to ask the dealer(s)? In the villages what % of each they sell. (I assume you are buying one in the villages)

I would be interested in what you find out.....

tophcfa 02-04-2019 09:39 PM

Lots of opinions, but mine would be to get a Yamaha quiet-tech gas cart with good aftermarket seats and never look back. Very quite for a gas cart, can easily go over two hundred miles on a tank of gas, has very nice independent rear suspension to absorb bumps, and you never have to worry about charging batteries. I have a couple friends with those carts and am very jealous, I just can't financially justify swapping one of our two older gas carts that run great for a new quiet-tech. But if someday one of our carts begins to give us trouble, it will give me the excuse I am waiting for to get a quiet-tech.

saratogaman 02-04-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1622139)
I choose gas. You only see electric carts off the side of the path.

Do you actually check to see if carts off the side of the path are gas or electric? How do you determine the power source? What's the ratio based on your research? Just curious.

Fredman 02-04-2019 10:05 PM

Here we go again

Topspinmo 02-04-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratogaman (Post 1622150)
Do you actually check to see if carts off the side of the path are gas or electric? How do you determine the power source? What's the ratio based on your research? Just curious.

No tailpipe

Garywt 02-04-2019 10:33 PM

I am going with gas. I have owned electric in a different venue and if the batteries die while on the road you need a tow. If you run out of gas you just need a gas can.

That said, today’s electric might be better than what I had but not sure if you can get 100 miles out of a charge.

CWGUY 02-05-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1622137)
How far do you want to go?
Do you mind noise?

:blahblahblah::blahblahblah::blahblahblah: Have you ever driven a "quiet-tech"?

Nucky 02-05-2019 01:41 AM

The Quickest way to see if the Cart that is broken down is gas or electric is to look for the place for the plug to hook up to charger or the lack of a fuel gauge and if you See A Banana in the Tailpipe than you know its gas. BeverlyHills Cop I Banana in the tailpipe - YouTube BeverlyHills Cop I Banana in the tailpipe - YouTube

The Tailpipe thing would have been a surefire method a few years ago but now the Quietech's have no TailPipe and Therefore no place for the Banana and therefore not easy to tell quickly if its gas or electric other than they probably never leave you stranded, probably never ever never. One other way is the person in the Cart is swearing something about never again with these (Bad Words Inserted) expensive batteries.

JimJohnson 02-05-2019 05:21 AM

I find electric to be very quiet and smother drive system, not to mention the smell of gas fumes that fill your garage. The maximum distance I ever go is less than 50 miles, so again electric is best for me. Now if you drive your cart 75 or more miles on a single trip, gas may be better for you. Imagine 20 MPH FOR 60 miles, that is 3 hours driving at high speed. An extra long golf cart ride for me is 5 or 6 miles to the course, 18 holes, 5 miles to a restaurant and 10 miles back home. That is less than 30 miles and close to an 8 hour day. Trust me, I want my old butt out of my cart. I have 5 year old Trojan batteries in my cart and can still go more than 50 miles on a charge. As far as break down, I keep a tow rope in my cart and have towed one cart off the course and back to the guys house. It was a Yamaha GAS cart. Life is a great adventure because no matter how you prepare, you will still be surprised on occasion.

Rollie 02-05-2019 05:38 AM

First off, I'd like to say that I own 2 electric carts. While one is charging I can drive the other. Works great for me. To properly charge the batteries they should be fully charged, witch can take 6 hours. Not doing this can shorten battery life. So for most golf cart owner, I'd say gas would be the better option.