Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Green Lakes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/green-lakes-284280/)

ldj1938 02-06-2019 09:41 AM

Green Lakes

Seems fairly obvious that the green dye used to keep the fairways green is washing into the lakes. The lakes looked totally polluted. Does anyone know what the dye contains. Is it poisonous or just making the water look awful! It's warming up so it should stop soon.

billethkid 02-06-2019 09:48 AM

"Painting/dying" the greens is nothing more than eye wash and an excuse for normal maintenance required on greens this time of the year.

Makes the already bad greens look even worse.

I am sure it is environmentally friendly or TV would not use it.
After 16 years they decide to paint the greens?!?! There must be an obvious cost factor or their way of making a silk purse out of the sows ear!!!!

Two Bills 02-06-2019 10:37 AM

Few of the Exec. Courses last week were sprayed brown.
Hope it wasn't what it looked like!

CWGUY 02-06-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1622536)
"Painting/dying" the greens is nothing more than eye wash and an excuse for normal maintenance required on greens this time of the year.

Makes the already bad greens look even worse.

I am sure it is environmentally friendly or TV would not use it.
After 16 years they decide to paint the greens?!?! There must be an obvious cost factor or their way of making a silk purse out of the sows ear!!!!

:ohdear: Instead of shooting from the hip.... check the facts!

:read: https://golfthevillages.com/turftalk...k-Oct-2018.pdf And it's been posted before too. :oops:

karostay 02-06-2019 10:44 AM

I hear they bottle it and sell it as organic natural seaweed smoothie

CWGUY 02-06-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj1938 (Post 1622532)
Seems fairly obvious that the green dye used to keep the fairways green is washing into the lakes. The lakes looked totally polluted. Does anyone know what the dye contains. Is it poisonous or just making the water look awful! It's warming up so it should stop soon.

NEWS FLASH - some of the lakes (actually retention ponds) probably are polluted. The chemicals used (no matter what color) run into them.

With a little effort on your part you can find out exactly what is in the stuff. Call and ask for a copy of the MSDS. :ho:

CWGUY 02-06-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1622568)
I hear they bottle it and sell it as organic natural seaweed smoothie

:icon_wink: If that is the case.... I'd like to buy a few people a drink! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Rapscallion St Croix 02-06-2019 11:03 AM

Sometimes a marker dye used to show where treatments have been applied is assumed to be for cosmetic purposes by interested uninformed observers.

CWGUY 02-06-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1622584)
Sometimes a marker dye used to show where treatments have been applied is assumed to be for cosmetic purposes by interested uninformed observers.

UNINFORMED being the key word! :icon_wink:

mtdjed 02-06-2019 04:02 PM

I do not think the green lakes are caused by dye. I would bet that most of the color is caused by ducks.

CWGUY 02-06-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 1622681)
I do not think the green lakes are caused by dye. I would bet that most of the color is caused by ducks.

Wabbit! :1rotfl:

collie1228 02-07-2019 08:47 AM

All of these ponds are retention ponds, and they are designed to hold runoff and ground water, along with anything that comes with the runoff. So if the green stuff is from the unsightly crap they are applying to the greens, they are doing what they are designed to do. The vegetation around and in the ponds are supposed to help keep them clean. Not sure that's working so well right now.

billethkid 02-07-2019 01:12 PM

The posted article did not change my position.....right or wrong it is my position....coloring it, :icon_wink:, as uninformed is one perspective...also right or wrong!!