Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Any Indians in the villages? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/any-indians-villages-284361/)

Krishna 02-07-2019 01:10 AM

Any Indians in the villages?

Hi folks! I’m Indian. I’ve lived in the Midwest for close to 30 years now. Looking to retire and move to TV. Just out of curiosity, are there many (any) Indians in TV?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Krishna

jane032657 02-07-2019 02:47 AM

There is a new group that started up and just had what looked to be a great first gathering with Indian food, dance, music. I would have to research what the name is but it looked to be well attended. The Villages has a strong Caucasian leaning but there is multi culturalism here, not like a major city though.

Krishna 02-07-2019 06:33 AM

Good to hear, and thanks for your response! I’m looking forward to making a visit sometime later this year!

Krishna

Taltarzac725 02-07-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane032657 (Post 1622750)
There is a new group that started up and just had what looked to be a great first gathering with Indian food, dance, music. I would have to research what the name is but it looked to be well attended. The Villages has a strong Caucasian leaning but there is multi culturalism here, not like a major city though.

Quote:

The club will meet on the first Thursday of the month at Pimlico Recreation Center. For membership and other information, contact Marwah at (412) 720-8048.
There is this from the rival site to Talk of the Villages with respect to news of the Villages. They had 200 people at their recent first meeting. From the other news site--
Quote:

The Indo-American Club of The Villages held its inaugural event at the Pimlico Recreation Center this past Thursday.
indo-american club the villages - Google Search

Krishna 02-07-2019 09:57 AM

Wow! Interesting comments at the end of that article. Hopefully those are not representative of the majority of the villagers!

jane032657 02-07-2019 10:12 AM

Please ignore those that reply with racist tone. The politics and racism that one can encounter here can smell of hatred. There are many loving, happy, accepting people. I was disappointed to miss their inaugural event, I had not seen it advertised. I had a close working relationship with the Indo Canadian community when I lived in British Columbia. Hope you will move here. Please focus on the people who have good attitude. If I did not do that I would have to move.

My Post 02-07-2019 11:44 AM

Do you celebrate Diwali? I LOVE the food.

Krishna 02-07-2019 11:46 AM

Thanks For your response, Jane! I really appreciate it.

Krishna

Krishna 02-07-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Post (Post 1622854)
Do you celebrate Diwali? I LOVE the food.

We do celebrate Diwali. But living in America, we celebrate Diwali during thanksgiving. That way all the family and kids come home for the long weekend. And we invite our neighbors and friends for a huge Indian meal at Thanksgiving.

graciegirl 02-07-2019 12:36 PM

There are many physicians in this area with East Indian heritage. They may not LIVE in The Villages, but live nearby. Our physician, Dr. Trenny Gulati is of East Indian Heritage.

Madelaine Amee 02-07-2019 05:07 PM

Hi Krishna and welcome to TOTV. I had no intention of responding to this subject until I saw that you had, unfortunately, read comments at the bottom of the online newspaper article. Please do not let that make up your mind about TV, they are the dark underbelly of society that always rears its ugly head because they never have to show their faces or sign their names to their disgusting comments. These people are always there in every town in the world, not just here in the USA.

Like others, I have an Indian physician, mine is a brilliant hand Surgeon. A very educated and knowledgeable man who can converse on any subject. I am biased because my husband and I spent several years living in the UK where there is no bias shown towards Indians and there is an Indian Restaurant on every corner.

Krishna, be assured that if you chose to live here you will find your niche and enjoy a wonderful retirement.

Krishna 02-08-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1622926)
Hi Krishna and welcome to TOTV. I had no intention of responding to this subject until I saw that you had, unfortunately, read comments at the bottom of the online newspaper article. Please do not let that make up your mind about TV, they are the dark underbelly of society that always rears its ugly head because they never have to show their faces or sign their names to their disgusting comments. These people are always there in every town in the world, not just here in the USA.

Like others, I have an Indian physician, mine is a brilliant hand Surgeon. A very educated and knowledgeable man who can converse on any subject. I am biased because my husband and I spent several years living in the UK where there is no bias shown towards Indians and there is an Indian Restaurant on every corner.

Krishna, be assured that if you chose to live here you will find your niche and enjoy a wonderful retirement.

Thank you Madelaine, I appreciate what you said. I’m a physician too. And I lived in the Uk for 3 years while I did my FRCS. Of course I’m an Anglophile and I love my Scotch and I love to play golf and tennis! I hunt, fish and I’m an avid biker. I used to be a member of an English club in Madison and we used to meet for dinner once a month and toast the queen with a glass of port after a wonderful steak dinner.

I’m looking forward to going down to the Villages and making new friends. I’m interested in golf, bicycling, tennis, women and scotch, but not particularly in that order!

Krishna

Taltarzac725 02-08-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 1622814)
Wow! Interesting comments at the end of that article. Hopefully those are not representative of the majority of the villagers!

No. Not at all. You will find loud mouthed bigots mainly online but they are few and far between among the real people here in the Villages. We have been here since June of 2005 and I can only recall maybe under ten outright racist comments made by people in real life settings.

graciegirl 02-08-2019 07:52 AM

I don't see any problem here, real or imagined. Most people old enough to live here look for similarities, not differences. There are always a few pills everywhere and assuredly there are many envious people who do not live here who post on public blogs, trying always to hurt what they do not have.

We have been blessed in our life to know many people from different cultures. I hope the OP likes all of us. I think that as a group we Villagers are exceptionally nice.