Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Specific Community Standards, Deed Restrictions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/specific-community-standards-deed-restrictions-284551/)

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 01:27 PM

Specific Community Standards, Deed Restrictions

We've found what might possibly become our home. Our "host" from our Lifestyle visit this past year will be getting back to us about it today and if all our ducks are in a row, we'll be making an offer.

One of those ducks is the community standards/deed restrictions. I like a certain amount of conformity, I appreciate things not being so "whimsical" that they're an eyesore to the whole neighborhood, or offensive. But I like at least some amount of creative freedom (such as maybe a 6" ceramic garden gnome in the garden up against the dwelling, or a tasteful-looking birdbath surrounded by greenery and neatly edged, or some pretty potted plant in a colorful hand-glazed ceramic pot on the front stoop).

My question then, is how do I find the restrictions for the exact specific property I want to know more about? I won't put in an offer before I can even see what's allowed and what isn't.

I know I can go to the Deed Restrictions page for Lake County (that's where it is) but all these restrictions are by unit number. I don't have any unit number on the Homefinder listing, just an actual street address. Where do I find what I'm looking for?

Bogie Shooter 02-09-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623363)
We've found what might possibly become our home. Our "host" from our Lifestyle visit this past year will be getting back to us about it today and if all our ducks are in a row, we'll be making an offer.

One of those ducks is the community standards/deed restrictions. I like a certain amount of conformity, I appreciate things not being so "whimsical" that they're an eyesore to the whole neighborhood, or offensive. But I like at least some amount of creative freedom (such as maybe a 6" ceramic garden gnome in the garden up against the dwelling, or a tasteful-looking birdbath surrounded by greenery and neatly edged, or some pretty potted plant in a colorful hand-glazed ceramic pot on the front stoop).

My question then, is how do I find the restrictions for the exact specific property I want to know more about? I won't put in an offer before I can even see what's allowed and what isn't.

I know I can go to the Deed Restrictions page for Lake County (that's where it is) but all these restrictions are by unit number. I don't have any unit number on the Homefinder listing, just an actual street address. Where do I find what I'm looking for?

call the listing agent and get the unit & lot number.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 01:44 PM

Wow I found the answer in a different section of the standards website. There are NO restrictions for lawn ornaments in the Lady Lake-Lake County section. This is actually disappointing, I'm one of those who agree that the bent-over bloomer ladies and the tacky plastic pink flamingos are a bit much. But I guess I could live with that, if it meant I could put a garden gnome in the front garden.

It brings me to another question regarding the deed restrictions though. I'm looking into the Orange Blossoms area, up near Schwartz Blvd at the northern end of the Villages. The property is a manufactured, in what appears to be excellent condition. The laundry room is a separate part of the property; you have to leave your house to get through the double doors into what is actually just an attached shack.

The deed restrictions prohibit window air conditioners and requires central air. The central air doesn't hook up to that outdoor, un-insulated shack area. And that shack has a window. Is a window air conditioner permitted in that spot, since it's not really part of the living space? I imagine doing the laundry in there when it's 90° on a rainy day can't be comfortable if you can't open the window and the double doors without getting soaked by the rain.

Where would I find this information, on whether or not the external, uninsulated, "not under heat" laundry room/workshop falls within the prohibited area?

Bogie Shooter 02-09-2019 01:50 PM

VCDD Community Standards

graciegirl 02-09-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623373)
Wow I found the answer in a different section of the standards website. There are NO restrictions for lawn ornaments in the Lady Lake-Lake County section. This is actually disappointing, I'm one of those who agree that the bent-over bloomer ladies and the tacky plastic pink flamingos are a bit much. But I guess I could live with that, if it meant I could put a garden gnome in the front garden.

It brings me to another question regarding the deed restrictions though. I'm looking into the Orange Blossoms area, up near Schwartz Blvd at the northern end of the Villages. The property is a manufactured, in what appears to be excellent condition. The laundry room is a separate part of the property; you have to leave your house to get through the double doors into what is actually just an attached shack.

The deed restrictions prohibit window air conditioners and requires central air. The central air doesn't hook up to that outdoor, un-insulated shack area. And that shack has a window. Is a window air conditioner permitted in that spot, since it's not really part of the living space? I imagine doing the laundry in there when it's 90° on a rainy day can't be comfortable if you can't open the window and the double doors without getting soaked by the rain.

Where would I find this information, on whether or not the external, uninsulated, "not under heat" laundry room/workshop falls within the prohibited area?

Orange Blossom Hills, Silver Lake and Country Club Hills all in the original areas have far fewer restrictions but, window air conditioners are not permitted.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1623376)

Very good, you followed what I was saying that I already found. Now if you could kindly show me where on that website I can find out about that "external laundry area" I was asking about, that'd be spiffy. And helpful. It might even help other people besides myself, who are wondering the same thing, but hadn't asked yet.

anothersteve 02-09-2019 02:00 PM

If you really need AC there you could get a stand alone AC unit and duct it outside.
Steve

Bogie Shooter 02-09-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623380)
Very good, you followed what I was saying that I already found. Now if you could kindly show me where on that website I can find out about that "external laundry area" I was asking about, that'd be spiffy. And helpful. It might even help other people besides myself, who are wondering the same thing, but hadn't asked yet.

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
You will have to make the call yourself.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1623384)
If you really need AC there you could get a stand alone AC unit and duct it outside.
Steve

Hm, we have a portable one on wheels we could stick under the window. We have that for our current home, which was built in 1958 and has no central air conditioning. We had to board up the window and put a hole in the board so that the duct would fit through it. Incredibly unattractive and I never would have considered doing that to a home in the Villages.

But sure I suppose I could. Maybe paint the board so it's not so unattractive. The window is in the back of the shack so at least the neighbors wouldn't have to look at it.

graciegirl 02-09-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623387)
Hm, we have a portable one on wheels we could stick under the window. We have that for our current home, which was built in 1958 and has no central air conditioning. We had to board up the window and put a hole in the board so that the duct would fit through it. Incredibly unattractive and I never would have considered doing that to a home in the Villages.

But sure I suppose I could. Maybe paint the board so it's not so unattractive. The window is in the back of the shack so at least the neighbors wouldn't have to look at it.

You aren't allowed to modify your home like that without permission from the Architectural Review Committee.

You have mentioned that you don't want to move here but your husband does. I think we are not the cause of a lot of your frustration.

Bogie Shooter 02-09-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623387)

There are no shacks on the Historical Side of TV.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1623389)
There are no shacks on the Historical Side of TV.

I don't know what this attached structure is called. As I mentioned in two other posts, I'm calling it a shack. Or an attached shack. Or a laundry area. Or a room with 3 walls, double doors, and a window. An exterior room with no access from the actual house. A structure that shares one wall with the house, that you have to leave the house in order to enter. The place where trailer park homeowners do their laundry. A workshop with its own entrance.

Whatever you want to call it, it's that thing. If you want to nitpick over a word, then provide the correct word. I don't know what that thing is called.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 02:40 PM

This is the "room" I refer to (though this isn't the home we're looking at): Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale - opposite that window is a door that leads out to the car port. There are two steps in the carport to the actual manufactured house, but the room itself is not insulated, is not a finished room, has no ductwork leading to the main house, and has no way of getting into it, beyond that door leading directly to the carport.

queasy27 02-09-2019 02:53 PM

Many of the manufactured homes have a shed attached to and at the end of the carport. Residents need to exit their houses in order to access it. The door has a lock. There is no air conditioning in the shed but it's no different than having a washer/dryer in a garage as far as the temperature is concerned. I don't know everyone on the historic side, but none of my neighbors or I when I lived there considered air conditioning the laundry shed. The dryer is vented to the outside so it doesn't get any hotter than it usually is. There's usually a louvered window for some outside air circulation.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1623408)
Many of the manufactured homes have a shed attached to and at the end of the carport. Residents need to exit their houses in order to access it. The door has a lock. There is no air conditioning in the shed but it's no different than having a washer/dryer in a garage as far as the temperature is concerned. I don't know everyone on the historic side, but none of my neighbors or I when I lived there considered air conditioning the laundry shed. The dryer is vented to the outside so it doesn't get any hotter than it usually is. There's usually a louvered window for some outside air circulation.

Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?

I'd actually wondered about the garages in the designer home and the CYV and Patio Villa we've stayed in, in the past - some of them were spacious enough to have workshops in them, but they were horrendously hot. I'd wondered if they had AC and it just wasn't used, or if they didn't have them at all.

CFrance 02-09-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623373)

And I am one of those who find garden gnomes equally as tacky as bent-over bloomer ladies! You see? I'm happy for the restrictions.

It sounds like you have a bit of due diligence to do regarding this property, especially in regards to the window air conditioner.

anothersteve 02-09-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1623388)
You aren't allowed to modify your home like that without permission from the Architectural Review Committee.

You have mentioned that you don't want to move here but your husband does. I think we are not the cause of a lot of your frustration.

Don't worry it too much here on the historic side. It's not a "modification" anyway. Just get someone to drill a hole through the wzll with a hole saw and put a grill in.
Steve

Nucky 02-09-2019 04:05 PM

I wonder and am going to find out here not by calling anybody cause I don't do that at all. (Most of the Time) Is there a restriction on the Color a Driveway can be Painted on the Hysterical Side? Just wondering. There is one that is just absolutely AMAZING. It must be a shot at a NEIGHBOR. Trying to upset the peaceful Apple Cart over here. No address was given on Porpoise.

Jazuela, window A/C'S are not allowed in these parts but I don't think you would have any problem with one that is there now. It is not impossible to have a problem but not probable. Keep doing your homework because if you buy something with a mistake it's now your mistake.

That little shack you spoke of is called the Laundry Room or Golf Cart Garage by many of the people I know that have one. Just as a point of interest Patio Villas and some CYV's have the laundry in the garage. You don't do as much laundry here cause Shorts and a T-Shirt takes up way less room in the Washing Machine.

Keep up the good work, No Buyers Remorse and Triple Check anything you here from The Realtor down to a poster like me on TOTV'S. Good Luck. It's great over here I hope things work out for you both.

ColdNoMore 02-09-2019 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623417)
Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?

I'd actually wondered about the garages in the designer home and the CYV and Patio Villa we've stayed in, in the past - some of them were spacious enough to have workshops in them, but they were horrendously hot. I'd wondered if they had AC and it just wasn't used, or if they didn't have them at all.

In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees. :oops:

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window of the shack...would never even be noticed.

:ho:

anothersteve 02-09-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1623444)
In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees. :oops:

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window...would never even be noticed.

:ho:

Exactally!
Steve

graciegirl 02-09-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623399)
This is the "room" I refer to (though this isn't the home we're looking at): Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale - opposite that window is a door that leads out to the car port. There are two steps in the carport to the actual manufactured house, but the room itself is not insulated, is not a finished room, has no ductwork leading to the main house, and has no way of getting into it, beyond that door leading directly to the carport.

What a beautiful home! I hope the one you choose brings you happiness. This is such a wonderful place. We have several friends who live near where you are looking. Their homes are just beautiful too.

queasy27 02-09-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623417)

Mine had shelving all around and I stored the lawn mower, seasonal ornaments, and other large tools there. There's no reason you couldn't insulate and drywall the interior without needing ARC permission. It would be nice. As far as the venting goes, the wall in my shed with the washer and dryer abutted the wall of the hall bath inside. If an A/C contractor could somehow extend the ductwork from inside, you also wouldn't need permission.

Check to see if the gray pipes have been replaced in any manufactured homes you're considering. I needed to get mine re-plumbed (around $600 but that was 7 years ago and it was only a 1000 sf house).

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1623489)
Mine had shelving all around and I stored the lawn mower, seasonal ornaments, and other large tools there. There's no reason you couldn't insulate and drywall the interior without needing ARC permission. It would be nice. As far as the venting goes, the wall in my shed with the washer and dryer abutted the wall of the hall bath inside. If an A/C contractor could somehow extend the tubing/hoses from inside, you wouldn't need permission.

Check to see if the gray pipes have been replaced in any manufactured homes you're considering. I needed to get mine re-plumbed (around $600 but that was 7 years ago and it was only 1000 sf).

SOOO glad you mentioned that, you just saved us a potential huge mistake. We put an offer down a couple of hours ago and it was accepted. But I'd totally forgotten to ask about that, and already arranged a flight down for a physical inspection and to give the deposit if it passes the inspection. Booked a hotel room too - but if the agent says the grey pipes haven't been replaced, I can cancel the flight and the room and save a thousand bucks and 3 days of time.

anothersteve 02-09-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623520)
SOOO glad you mentioned that, you just saved us a potential huge mistake. We put an offer down a couple of hours ago and it was accepted. But I'd totally forgotten to ask about that, and already arranged a flight down for a physical inspection and to give the deposit if it passes the inspection. Booked a hotel room too - but if the agent says the grey pipes haven't been replaced, I can cancel the flight and the room and save a thousand bucks and 3 days of time.

Shouldn't be a deal breaker, maybe just a negotiating tool?
Steve

Nucky 02-09-2019 09:38 PM

I don't think you will have a problem. I do not know the owner at all but I can tell you the house is a Diamond. We went during the first Open House. Good Job. Good house. Nice neighbors. Not to much traffic. Your gonna be fine.

The only problem will be keeping it up to the shape it's in now, just about perfect. Happy for you.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1623523)
Shouldn't be a deal breaker, maybe just a negotiating tool?
Steve

Yeah we would hope, but they came down in price as low as they were willing to go (we had a little back and forth and came up significantly from our initial offer). It's such a sweet looking home too. But they're looking for a quick closing (in less than 3 weeks!) so if it needs the plumbing repiped, it could result in a setback.

On the other hand, we could remind them that if it does in fact need repiping, it's not likely they'll find a buyer willing to pay what we offered, and NOT have them repipe it. So they should just accept our offer and the contingency and save themselves some trouble. Right??? :boxing2:

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1623525)
I don't think you will have a problem. I do not know the owner at all but I can tell you the house is a Diamond. We went during the first Open House. Good Job. Good house. Nice neighbors. Not to much traffic. Your gonna be fine.

The only problem will be keeping it up to the shape it's in now, just about perfect. Happy for you.

How do you know which one we offered on!!

Nucky 02-09-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623528)

The Picture earlier in the Thread unless it the wrong one.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1623529)
The Picture earlier in the Thread unless it the wrong one.

Hm, I didn't post any pictures. ColdNoMore posted a picture of the portable air conditioner he used (we have a similar one, and I do remember now we don't have to put a whole board up, we have that sliding plastic piece with the hole for the vent tube. We originally had the unit in a room that had push-out windows, and couldn't use that plastic piece, and had to remove the glass completely and replace it with a board with a hole in it).

graciegirl 02-09-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623528)

You said this was not the one but similar. This is the picture you posted;

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Nucky 02-09-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1623544)
You said this was not the one but similar. This is the picture you posted;

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Thank's Graciegirl, Details Count. I missed the little fact about that wasn't the house. But the one in the picture is the one I was speaking of. Probably won't be my last mistake either. To the OP, Your privacy is intact and good luck to you again wherever you are. :shocked:

njbchbum 02-09-2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623398)
I don't know what this attached structure is called. As I mentioned in two other posts, I'm calling it a shack. Or an attached shack. Or a laundry area. Or a room with 3 walls, double doors, and a window. An exterior room with no access from the actual house. A structure that shares one wall with the house, that you have to leave the house in order to enter. The place where trailer park homeowners do their laundry. A workshop with its own entrance.

Whatever you want to call it, it's that thing. If you want to nitpick over a word, then provide the correct word. I don't know what that thing is called.

Here's hoping you will be happy among us trailer park neighbors.

Nucky 02-09-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 1623552)

:mademyday: :1rotfl: Trailer Park! Hmmm, I missed that also. Tomorrow's another day at the Park. Maybe we'll go to the Cement Pond! :popcorn:

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-09-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

:a040: If all goes well I'll be living in a double-wide-plus! I think of all the possible places we could have picked to live in the Villages, this area will be the most comfortable for me. It's very "neighborhoodish" and the times we've visited the area in the past, it looked like people maintained their properties fairly well. A bit of wear and tear but that's to be expected. It's actually a plus, to me, to see patches of ground that have gone to moss due to moisture and trees. It's more park-like, more natural, less manufactured and artificial.

My house now was built in 1958. So when I see people refer to the "historical" side of The Villages and see these double-wides and single-wides transported in and set down in the late 1970's I have to just chuckle. The house across the street from mine is the second oldest in the neighborhood. It was built in 1895. The oldest was built in the late 1700's, and the carriage that transported Paul Revere's body to be buried in 1818, stopped at the house - which was at the time a hotel and tavern, on their way.

That's not even the oldest house in our town. Just in our neighborhood. And - our entire back yard and the acreage behind it - was a trailer park, prior to a developer building senior housing in it.

So we're sort of coming full circle. It's poetic and I like the idea of it.

graciegirl 02-10-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1623559)
:a040: If all goes well I'll be living in a double-wide-plus! I think of all the possible places we could have picked to live in the Villages, this area will be the most comfortable for me. It's very "neighborhoodish" and the times we've visited the area in the past, it looked like people maintained their properties fairly well. A bit of wear and tear but that's to be expected. It's actually a plus, to me, to see patches of ground that have gone to moss due to moisture and trees. It's more park-like, more natural, less manufactured and artificial.

My house now was built in 1958. So when I see people refer to the "historical" side of The Villages and see these double-wides and single-wides transported in and set down in the late 1970's I have to just chuckle. The house across the street from mine is the second oldest in the neighborhood. It was built in 1895. The oldest was built in the late 1700's, and the carriage that transported Paul Revere's body to be buried in 1818, stopped at the house - which was at the time a hotel and tavern, on their way.

That's not even the oldest house in our town. Just in our neighborhood. And - our entire back yard and the acreage behind it - was a trailer park, prior to a developer building senior housing in it.

So we're sort of coming full circle. It's poetic and I like the idea of it.

You are right that saying the area you chose is "neighborhoodish". Most of us feel that way about where we live here. The "historical" part reference is meant to be a little funny. It is where this amazing place began, and where Mark, Jennifer and Tracy's grandfather lived when it all started. It is OUR historical part. Mr. Harold Schwartz has a bronze statue to his memory in the pool at Spanish Springs and Mr. Gary Morse has one with his cowboy at on in Brownwood. Most of us think that they did a good thing, thinking this out and making it so nice. It is also an unprecedented thing to have private business run a small city. Frankly I don't think it would work with many other people or families. I have never met the Morses but they could have stopped and been rich forever, but must have some interest in keeping the legions of people employed and know that someone would build near here, and probably not do as good a job. I would be very proud if I were them. They long ago earned enough money to keep their families for many years to come. It has to be enormously stressful to think all this through, risk your own money, time and time again and face all of the challenges of these huge decisions.

The Villages, I think, will be viewed as an amazing place in the worlds history.

Bogie Shooter 02-10-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

:boom:

tophcfa 02-10-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1623576)
You are right that saying the area you chose is "neighborhoodish". Most of us feel that way about where we live here. The "historical" part reference is meant to be a little funny. It is where this amazing place began, and where Mark, Jennifer and Tracy's grandfather lived when it all started. It is OUR historical part. Mr. Harold Schwartz has a bronze statue to his memory in the pool at Spanish Springs and Mr. Gary Morse has one with his cowboy at on in Brownwood. Most of us think that they did a good thing, thinking this out and making it so nice. It is also an unprecedented thing to have private business run a small city. Frankly I don't think it would work with many other people or families. I have never met the Morses but they could have stopped and been rich forever, but must have some interest in keeping the legions of people employed and know that someone would build near here, and probably not do as good a job. I would be very proud if I were them. They long ago earned enough money to keep their families for many years to come. It has to be enormously stressful to think all this through, risk your own money, time and time again and face all of the challenges of these huge decisions.

The Villages, I think, will be viewed as an amazing place in the worlds history.

Very well said Gracie : )

tophcfa 02-10-2019 09:45 AM

In addition to the gray pipes, make sure the hurricane tie-downs are up to current standards so you can get reasonably priced homeowners insurance. Good luck with everything.