Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Would you recommend The Villages for me? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/would-you-recommend-villages-me-284619/)

Quills 02-10-2019 10:00 AM

Would you recommend The Villages for me?

We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia

Taltarzac725 02-10-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quills (Post 1623629)
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia

It really depends on the neighbors in question and how well they get along. We have a few neighbors who bicker often and avoid one another in social settings. I try not to take sides and to remain neutral.

I would try to get an idea of what the neighbors are really like once you have a location in mind. It is location, location, location IMHO especially in the Villages.

I see you live in Northern VA. Brother used to live in Burke, VA and sister-in-law (his wife) grew up in that area and went to a high school in Alexandria.

Some of my friends here in the Villages have moved numerous times around different parts of the Villages looking for just the right fit. We lucked out and found a nice spot in June of 2005 but you do have to make an effort to get along with the people in your area.

Bogie Shooter 02-10-2019 10:11 AM

Go with what you have experienced, don't worry about the slim minority of naysayers.
BTW are there no bad neighbors in Virginia?

Quills 02-10-2019 10:14 AM

Thanks, good advice, location, location
Yea, we lived in Fairfax County for many years then moved to the country in Fauquier County.
We've sold our home here and we're moving south in 2 weeks!

charmed59 02-10-2019 10:16 AM

I don’t feel these forums accurately portray the friendly atmosphere I find in the Villages. If you’ve stayed a few times you have probably noticed that most people have the live and let live attitude. Online forums tend to attract those with definite opinions and the desire to share them.

Dogs and retired folks go together. There are studies that show older folks with dogs tend to live longer, as they have someone to exercise with and keep them company. So you wouldn’t be in the minority there. And there are more than a few car clubs with like minded people who apparently take pride in their vehicles like you do.

Given your background I think you would fit in well here.

Quills 02-10-2019 10:16 AM

Oh yeah, bad neighbors can be anywhere. We have been very lucky for the past 17 years in Fauquier County. 6 1/2 wooded acres made for easy going times with the few neighbors we had.
Thanks

Taltarzac725 02-10-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quills (Post 1623640)
Oh yeah, bad neighbors can be anywhere. We have been very lucky for the past 17 years in Fauquier County. 6 1/2 wooded acres made for easy going times with the few neighbors we had.
Thanks

I would try to get in contact with the retired law enforcement groups here in the Villages. They can probably give you a lot of pointers and the like. There might be one for just VA. THE VILLAGES RETIRED POLICE & FIRE CLUB - Home

I have met a lot of retired cops and firemen here in the Villages and almost every other man here has been in the military. And the ones I met usually had a dog or two or three with them.

thetruth 02-10-2019 10:38 AM

My opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quills (Post 1623629)
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia

In reply to your post. Cigars, working on cars with friends while playing the radio.

TRUTH-I hope you will not be moving in. This place is sort of like apartment living. People close together. Realize, your playing a radio while ?????? the sound does not stop at your property line.

From your post, you realize that you will have issues with your neighbors and I expect you know better than people reading your inquiry.

rjm1cc 02-10-2019 10:41 AM

Read the rules for the community and if they fit into your live and let live and you will be complying with them all is ok. If you do not like the rules then move on.

DonH57 02-10-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quills (Post 1623640)
Thanks

My grandfather had a diary farm in Fauquier county near Warrenton many years ago.

John_W 02-10-2019 12:08 PM

anothersteve 02-10-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1623657)
In reply to your post. Cigars, working on cars with friends while playing the radio.

From your post, you realize that you will have issues with your neighbors and I expect you know better than people reading your inquiry.

Well.... at least one neighbor..(not me).. anyway.
Steve

John_W 02-10-2019 12:26 PM

anothersteve 02-10-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1623707)
I always play my radio in the garage, have two speakers mounted in the ceiling, when I'm in the driveway working on my car. Most of the time when I'm out there, other neighbors stop by to talk and I don't get any work done.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about me
Steve

valuemkt 02-10-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1623657)

TRUTH-I hope you will not be moving in. This place is sort of like apartment living. People close together. Realize, your playing a radio while ?????? the sound does not stop at your property line.

I hope this was made in jest .. Else .. Get thee to a nunnery .. It is a free country after all, and if you want to wash your car and listen to some music, have at it. If the wind is blowing the wrong way and your cigar exhaust wafts toward the complainer, too bad .. I don;t smoke, never had, but be happy to have a "Bud" with you at one of the very many friendly bars around town.