Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Pin placement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/pin-placement-284696/)

jt9999 02-11-2019 06:20 AM

Pin placement

Why are the pin placements constantly put on hills??

Laker14 02-11-2019 07:40 AM

When courses get this much play, you pretty much have to use all of the green, and sometimes that's on places the designer never intended. Also, many of the executive greens are nothing but hills.

If I have a criticism of most of the executives I've played, I would say the greens are more severely contoured than ideal, given the amount of play, and the typical caliber of most players.

Bay Kid 02-11-2019 07:58 AM

If it was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Fredman 02-11-2019 08:11 AM

Pin placement

We just went through this about a week ago:boom:

anothersteve 02-11-2019 08:54 AM

Pin placements are fine, it's my putting that sucks.
Steve

Mortal1 02-11-2019 09:24 PM

Because...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt9999 (Post 1623922)
Why are the pin placements constantly put on hills??

in the case of exec courses the people choosing the placements are not golfers.

The other reason is because if you tried to put the pins in relatively flat areas only you'd soon have no grass in those areas due to the amount of play and people wearing a path off of the green to their carts. :-)

canyonblue 02-12-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1624264)

The other reason is because if you tried to put the pins in relatively flat areas only you'd soon have no grass in those areas due to the amount of play and people wearing a path off of the green to their carts. :-)

Well the USGA makes it very clear WHERE a hole should be located. It is getting ridiculous with some of the placements, and I assume the person doing it has no clue that there is actually a rule.

An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

dennisgavin 02-12-2019 08:13 AM

It's for the amusement of the ambassadors. Did you ever notice them sitting in their cart off in the distance? They love to watch us struggle and curse when we try to make those impossible puts! ;o)

DeanFL 02-12-2019 08:25 AM

So agree with the issue here, sometimes (sometimes...) one can hit a beauty of a drive - within 3' of the hole and end with a 3-putt due to steep grading or such. And many times I see a slower putt veer off the cup - no doubt due to (what I call 'the volcano effect') the "hole-maker" pulling out the holing instrument and causing the exterior ground area around the hole to pull up a bit. Disconcerting, and if causing a miss...swearworthy.

EviesGP 02-12-2019 09:00 AM

We saw this a week or so ago at Churchill(#2?), and I asked the Ambassador who the greens-keeper was mad at? You literally could not sink it, unless you hit it direct and in, otherwise it would roll off(down hill 5'-10'). He said he already wrote it up. And that he watched a guy try to do it, and it took him 11 times to get it in the hole. Enough said.

donatk42 03-12-2019 07:39 PM

Why isn't the rule of pin placement used on the champion courses used for the executive courses. i.e., three placements and changed daily not a new hole every day. No wonder the greens on executive courses are in such bad shape.

kcrazorbackfan 03-12-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1624264)

Also due to the constant shuffling of feet from the cart to the ball to the hole; that's getting as bad as ball marks not being repaired.

golf2140 03-12-2019 08:38 PM

For the past few months on both the Championships and Executives the pis on some holes have been crazy. just slowing up the pace of play.

Blessed2BNTV 03-13-2019 05:20 AM

And I thought it was just me. Played Southern Star last week, drove long and straight and couldn’t putt for.....well you know.

And yet again....got Southern Star this morning. Will see what challenges there are today.

I STILL LOVE THIS PLACE!

ColdNoMore 03-13-2019 06:46 AM

Just always hit your approach shot...below the hole.

Problem solved. :D