Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Cell Phone Plans (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/cell-phone-plans-284988/)

Misky1951 02-15-2019 08:37 AM

Cell Phone Plans

I live north of 466 (near Lopez golf course). I need to change cell phone providers since I have a very poor connection using AT&T.

Looking for suggestions.

dewilson58 02-15-2019 08:42 AM

I'm a Verizon happy customer.

Might be cheaper plans out there, but I enjoy having coverage when I need here.............here in TV and during travel.

retiredguy123 02-15-2019 09:01 AM

If you have Comcast internet service, Xfinity Mobile is cheap and uses the Verizon network.

dewilson58 02-15-2019 09:08 AM

Forgot about bundling.

If you have Spectrum, they have cell phone services on Verizon.

Another option.

JGVillages 02-15-2019 01:09 PM

I live by Lopez and use Cricket Wireless. 2 phones unlimited talk text & data $80/mo. All taxes and fees included/no contract. Uses AT&T towers and there is no problem with service.

Vikingjunior 02-15-2019 01:18 PM

Interesting I've never heard anyone complain about AT&T coverage in The Villages.

You don't have many other options than Verizon or T-MOBILE, Sprint is horrible and being merged with T-MOBILE anyway.

Pinball wizard 02-15-2019 01:26 PM

Terrible in Fenney.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-15-2019 02:30 PM

We have AT&T cellular service. We currently live in CT. We've visited the Villages twice in the past year. First time was the Lifestyle Visit and we stayed right outside Brownwood square in a beautiful villa. The most recent time I stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Spanish Springs area. Both times we each used our own phones (he has an iPhone, I'm an Android gal), and neither of us had any problem on either end of the Villages, nor anywhere inbetween the two.

It's good to hear that Verizon is reliable in TV though; we have Xfinity wifi and Comcast TV, so if it does turn out to be problematic, we could switch to Xfinity mobile (which someone mention runs on the Verizon network).

Madelaine Amee 02-15-2019 03:20 PM

We have Consumer Cellular on AT&T, excellent service and reception and I am north of 466. Consumer Cellular $25 per month.

ureout 02-15-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1625135)
I live by Lopez and use Cricket Wireless. 2 phones unlimited talk text & data $80/mo. All taxes and fees included/no contract. Uses AT&T towers and there is no problem with service.

I live near lopez also and use cricket.. $70 a month with taxes on auto-pay 2 phones unlimited talk, text, and data ... I've had the service for about 4 yrs and in that time have traveled quite a bit and have dropped less than 10 calls ... the best part is no contract if you don't like it try someone else

retiredguy123 02-15-2019 04:23 PM

FYI, almost all cell phone services now operate on a no contract basis. You can buy or lease the phone on an installment or term basis, or pay cash. But, for the monthly service, you do not sign a long term contract.

villagetinker 02-15-2019 07:57 PM

OP, if your reception problem is inside your house, you may have 2 options. First check and see if your phone can use WiFi calling feature, if so, you can receive and make calls over your own WiFi system. The other is to ask AT&T for a 'microcell' for your house, at no or low cost.

Hope this helps.

FenneyGuy 02-16-2019 06:47 AM

We have AT&T service through Consumer Cellular (no contract). I pay less than $50.00 per month for two phones. While reception is spotty at times, it is not a major inconvenience.

biker1 02-16-2019 07:45 AM

AT&T stopped selling the Microcell boxes at the end of 2017. I am not sure when they will discontinue support but it's days are numbered, assuming they haven't already discontinued support. If anyone wants one, PM me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1625212)
OP, if your reception problem is inside your house, you may have 2 options. First check and see if your phone can use WiFi calling feature, if so, you can receive and make calls over your own WiFi system. The other is to ask AT&T for a 'microcell' for your house, at no or low cost.

Hope this helps.

Misky1951 02-16-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1625212)

Hope this helps.

I do use wi-fi calling, but if the internet is down, I can't call at all. I also tried a micro cell. Same problem if the internet goes down.