Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Type of available enclosures (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/type-available-enclosures-285553/)

vintageogauge 02-22-2019 11:35 AM

Type of available enclosures

We are thinking about enclosing our Lanai and noticed that there are lots of different styles on various homes. Do all of these have glass that opens for fresh air with screens or do just the ones that have sliding doors open? Don't want to block our view but like to have fresh air sometimes. Advice would be appreciated.

tejas 02-22-2019 04:25 PM

You can have windows with or without screens. Some slide with screens and some do not. Get estimates from several window companies. If you are not installing floor to ceiling sliders be sure to ask about energy rating, Custom Windows installed my sliders and I think they did a good job.

New Englander 02-22-2019 04:58 PM

Mine slide open with screens.

raynan 02-22-2019 05:39 PM

I have full length sliders that slide open and give you a 66% open. We used Custom Windows in Leesburg off 441 and had them installed 5 years ago. Best thing we ever did. Cuts down on dirt and dust and protects furniture from rain. We got the heavier screen wrap that does not interfere with your view but cuts down on sun and heat where we are west facing. They have a showroom and I think they are still open on Sat mornings.

Two Bills 02-22-2019 07:38 PM

IMHO enclosed glass is best.
Area can be heated when cool. and A/C when hot. Makes anothe large room to house.
"Things that fly and crawl" eventually find a way to get in mesh screens, including of course water on a regular basis when it rains.

dnobles 02-22-2019 10:11 PM

Custom windows did our very happy. Sliders with screens No water gets in

dblwyr 02-23-2019 06:52 AM

We also had glass enclosure just done by Custom Windows. Floor to ceiling glass, with heavier screen wrap...beautiful work. We are fully satisfied. This company makes sure the customer is happy.

LuvtheVillages 02-23-2019 08:36 AM

Sliders are a good choice for full views and full accessibility to your yard. However we chose tall windows over a short wall. The windows slide open and have screens. Picture windows are also available. The view is uninterrupted. The short wall is insulated and finished with bead board inside and matching siding outside. It gives us the ability to have electrical outlets there. If you go this way, there needs to be a door to exit the lanai.

Remember to insulate above the ceiling.

graciegirl 02-23-2019 08:53 AM

Following.

We have talked to Custom Windows and Elite Lifestyles Florida so far.

vintageogauge 02-23-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblwyr (Post 1627260)
We also had glass enclosure just done by Custom Windows. Floor to ceiling glass, with heavier screen wrap...beautiful work. We are fully satisfied. This company makes sure the customer is happy.

If you have full glass and screening on the outside how do you clean the outside of the glass? I don't quite understand what a heavier screen wrap is.

Dan9871 02-23-2019 09:27 AM

You clean the inside of the outside glass by taking it out of it track. We use a window cleaning service that does this for us but it doesn't look all that hard to do.

The heaver screen uses thicker strands of material to make the screen so the holes in the screen end up being smaller and let in less light.

crash 02-25-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1627312)
If you have full glass and screening on the outside how do you clean the outside of the glass? I don't quite understand what a heavier screen wrap is.

You can buy Windex streak free shine at Home Depot or Lowes, it attaches to the hose. I was very surprised on how well it worked. It is not perfect some minor spots and does the screens at the same time.

crash 02-25-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan9871 (Post 1627317)
You clean the inside of the outside glass by taking it out of it track. We use a window cleaning service that does this for us but it doesn't look all that hard to do.

The heaver screen uses thicker strands of material to make the screen so the holes in the screen end up being smaller and let in less light.

If it is a double paned glass the windows are very heavy and does not lift out.

leftyf 02-25-2019 09:15 AM

Has anyone tried the acrylic windows? A lot cheaper than glass. I have talked to "Thumper's", but still haven't decided.

vintageogauge 02-25-2019 09:59 AM

My goal is to have sliders with sliding screens on both the fixed and the sliding side of each set of doors. This would require 3 tracks one for the sliding door, one for the door side screen and one for the fixed side screen that would also have to slide for cleaning the glass behind it. I don't know if that is available but it would be what I'm looking for. From the outside I want it to look the same not one panel with a screen and the other without. I hope I described this correctly.